Dental Insurance - RANT

This confuses me.

Are you saying IBM chooses your plan and pays the Medicare premium?

I always thought at 65 you are on your own unless you truly have retirement HC benefits outside of Medicare
Sounds like the OP has an EGWP through IBM.

My dentist dumped my ins co due to low reimbursement. I had to find a new dentist who took my insurance. It worked out for me because I really like my new dentist.

I wish medical insurance was as honest and grounded as dental Ins

Can meth heads get dental Ins...not likely, but morbidly obese people can get "free" health Ins

Last edited:
I just got new glasses. The place with the nation-wide retail glasses stores which initials are "LC" were "in network". Their list price for the glasses were $650.00. After insurance they were $350.00
Costco -which my insurance will not do business with was $250.00. That's where I ended up getting them.
What does it cost for your COSTCO? I got glasses at Walmart no insurance around $320 with options. And LC inflating charges when covered by insurance, is their list price the same without? That is one reason I quit the insurance was LC and their charges.

We basically gave up on Delta Care HMO because no good dentist in our area accept it, and those who accept it will always try to find a way to make money off you and take almost 6 months to schedule an appointment. We can get DeltaCare for free but we always go for their PPOs, low or high value, and pay like $10-20 per paycheck for it.

IMO, $2000 seems like a lot for a root canal, even for a molar.

Anyhow, what's the premium for this particular dental policy that you have?
My Medicare Advantage plan being aIBM retiree includes medical and dental. The medical seems pretty good but the dental is a joke. IBM is out to save money on retiree benefits nor provide great plans.
This confuses me.

Are you saying IBM chooses your plan and pays the Medicare premium?

I always thought at 65 you are on your own unless you truly have retirement HC benefits outside of Medicare
I retired from IBM several years ago with a defined pension. At this point in time (it changed for 2023) IBM offers a Medicare Advantage plan for my group of retirees. You have your choice of two plans one a little more enhanced. Both have the same dental. One is free to me and the other costs a little. It's basically a group plan for IBM retirees. With a Medicare Advantage plan Medicare pays the insurance company for the plan and the insurance company pays all the bills. I of course have to keep paying for Medicare Part B at an outrageous cost since I am still working and earning a decent salary.

What does it cost for your COSTCO? I got glasses at Walmart no insurance around $320 with options. And LC inflating charges when covered by insurance, is their list price the same without? That is one reason I quit the insurance was LC and their charges.
If your asking what the membership is-it's like $60.00.
But the gas savings alone pays for the membership. Plus got a SUBSTIANTIAL rebate from my (travel) purchases last year with Costco/Citi bank credit card

The "eye vision" is included in my "Advantage Plus" program. But as you can see not really a benefit with a Costco close by.

Last edited:
If your asking what the membership is-it's like $60.00.
But the gas savings alone pays for the membership. Plus got a SUBSTIANTIAL rebate from my (travel) purchases last year.

The "eye vision" is included in my "Advantage Plus" program. But as you can see not really a benefit with a Costco close by.
Mine includes eye care as well, but Costco doesn't accept it directly. Ugg. Need to submit claims.

Reactions: CKN
Mine includes eye care as well, but Costco doesn't accept it directly. Ugg. Need to submit claims.

I think the benefit should be "the benefit" My policy is quite clear they only deal with a few providers. You should be able to use the benefit where ever you wish-then have them cut a check for that. I cannot seek reimbursement.

I get free health dental and eye insurance from my job no complaints so far. This is all new to me been self employed for decades so always paid ridiculous money for it. Luckily my dentist takes whatever the insurance company pays out we became friends over the years

This is pretty much the norm for all dentists (worth going to) today. I don't know of a private practice (i.e.: not a retail storefront chain dental clinic) that is in network for any insurance around my area THAT IS BOOKING APPOINTMENTS LESS THAN 8-12 MONTHS OUT.

Here's where you battle this- it's with your employer/HR. Tell them that there are no dentists that take insurance. IMO, the best way around this is for companies to contribute to an FSA account for you in the amount of an agreed-upon amount that the dental insurance would pay out for you plus the premiums your employer would pay. This would most likely work out better for the employee, plus they can contribute money that is not Federally taxed to this FSA to assist with dental bills and more.
Seems like an unlikely setup without some system overhaul. I thought employer contributions are limited to FSAs both in initial unmatched amounts and then how much employers can match dollar for dollar? And FSAs have either a cap for how much can rollover year over year or it defaults at the end of the year to being lost (back to the employer).

I’ve got the ’premium’ dental coverage at work, thats one thing I don’t want to skimp on.

Guy goes to and out of network dentist and has a procedure. The dental insurance pays exactly what the policy is required to pay. Goes on a oil forum and complains about it.

I love it!
My complaint is how little they agree to pay an in-network endodontist. I cannot imagine a endodontist would really do a root canal for $484 in Delaware. So I am thinking their in-network agreed payment is BS. If you cannot find an in-network endodontist to do a root canal in a reasonable amount of time then obviously the in-network payment is too low.

I get vision and eyecare free from work, so whatever it pays is gravy.
The dental coverage that shares a name with an airline never fully covers what my dentist charges, but the guy is in private practice and I've been seeing him for nearly forty years so I'm not about to switch providers.
The current eye coverage was a pleasant surprise in that wife and I both had exams and got new glasses with nice frames and the total tariff was under a hundred bucks.

It's $250 for a single basic cavity drill and fill now. No way anyone's going to root canal for under a grand.

Back