T rated General Altimax tires on 2012 Corolla?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I pulled the trigger on some Altimax T rated tires for a 2012 Corolla, the problem is it came with H rated tires. Do you think I'll have issues getting someone to install them? The size is P205-55-16. I wanted the T rated ones for the longer wear and the reviews said the T rated ones were better in the snow.

RT43's. I've heard some shops refuse to install lower speed rating tires than what the car came with. Granted this is a Corolla with 132 HP.

Should not be a problem. If a shop does not want your money then go else where. Wallmart installs the tires here for the cars I service.

Originally Posted By: Jimzz
Should not be a problem. If a shop does not want your money then go else where. Wallmart installs the tires here for the cars I service.

Exactly. If 1 shop won't do it, go elsewhere.

The door sticker just states P205-55-16, it does not show the speed rating. The tires on the car right now are not the originals, they are H rated. I know the stock tires were H rated too. I would think my replacement tires would be fine since their size are the same, the load rating is fine even though the speed rating is T.

You'll be fine. If a Chevy Cruze can run S rated tires with no problem, dropping down to a T rated will be fine. Ride *might* be softer, but that's all I can think of....

I think you made a great choice, we put the same tires on my daughter's new Impreza because the stock tires had terrible reviews (and also because the stock tires on my Forester were horrendous in snow). I also noticed that CR rated the T versions as a little better for winter conditions, which I was glad to see.

The Impreza came with Ts, but I cannot imagine that this would possibly be an issue with a Corolla. Well, as long as it is not an S Special Edition (inside BITOG joke). There are always small independent shops around that are more likely to follow common sense rules instead of what some corporate lawyer had printed up to put on the shop walls of all 542 locations...

Originally Posted By: Corollaman
The door sticker just states P205-55-16, it does not show the speed rating. The tires on the car right now are not the originals, they are H rated. I know the stock tires were H rated too. I would think my replacement tires would be fine since their size are the same, the load rating is fine even though the speed rating is T.

Worst case scenario, if everyone refuses, take the wheels off the car and bring them into a shop for a tire swap.

If they refuse refer them to the door sticker that doesnt require H rating.

Sign a waiver if needed.

Installed these today, much quieter than the H rated Aspen all season tires that were on it. I think the Altimax RT43'S should be a good value.

Have them on the 2012 Camry and after 8k miles am very happy with them. They are quiet, nice traction and wearing very well. This is the T-rated version as well.

My old '98 Z28 came straight from the factory with T rated tires (118 mph) and the model was factory tested at over 150 mph. They also set the fuel governor to shut off at 115 mph. Nothing wrong with not having the max possible speed rated tires for what your car's stop end speed is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back