Dodge Grand Caravan - Need Some Info

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
I believe my grandmother is pretty much dead set on buying a Dodge Grand Caravan.

I'm wondering what years are the best, years to avoid, things to look for etc. I know a lot of car models have years that are to be avoided.

Don't some of these have issues with the brakes?

We're looking at 2011 and newer with the Pentastar 3.6L.

Thanks for the help!

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I believe my grandmother is pretty much dead set on buying a Dodge Grand Caravan.

I'm wondering what years are the best, years to avoid, things to look for etc. I know a lot of car models have years that are to be avoided.

Thanks for the help!

The best years to buy is 2013 and up. They switched to heavy duty brakes. Have a look at http://forum.chryslerminvan.net for more info. I have 2015 grand caravan.

Last edited:

Thanks for the help!

That pretty much takes care of it- those are all significantly better than older models with the 41TE trans. The 3.3/3.8 engines were great, but the transaxles they bolted up to them were a mixed bag. Of the newer models, I'd go for a 2013-up if you can swing it... not so much based on anything specific to the Caravan, but some other FCA products got electrical system improvements around 2012/2013.

I had a 2007, that was far more reliable than I expected it to be. No complaints.

I'd avoid the 2008-2010 model years. That was a dark time for many Chrysler products. Friend's wife had a top of the line 2010 with a 4.0 engine that would shut down on its own, when driving. Completely unpredictable. He traded it on a 2014 T&C.

The 2011 seemed to have some teething pains, as it was a significantly new model. Electrical and issues with one head on the engine.

I have a late production 2011 model right now. However, it is light years a better vehicle than the 2007, in every way. The 3.6 is a sweet engine.

2012 and up should be fine. The teething pains should largely be in the past.

Saw a 2013 with 96k miles (ouch!) that shows the cylinder head replaced at 67k miles on the carfax. When they replace them, is it with an updated part? What goes bad with them?

Yes, the cylinder heads have been re-designed a few times. The original design started to "tick", and would often show any number of codes in the PCM. I'm not sure what the mechanical problem was (cracking, etc). I'm also not sure what the actual failure rate was, but it sure got a lot of press at the time.

As long as the work was done correctly, the replacement cylinder head should be good to go.

Also, I don't know if there's a way to check the oil filter housing, but that's been mentioned here a few times as a potential problem area.

I didn't realize the cylinder head was in FWD applications , too. Almost everyone I know with a 12+ wrangler has had the left head replaced.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
I didn't realize the cylinder head was in FWD applications , too. Almost everyone I know with a 12+ wrangler has had the left head replaced.

Whatever the issue was, the 2011/2012 Wrangler installation certainly aggravated it as more of them failed than any other application. But the Wrangler engine was no different than any other Pentastar, so they all had the potential issue and Chrysler extended the powertrain warranty on all 3.6 engines. Final fix was around the start of the 2013 model year, IIRC. I completely forget about that issue since its been so long since I've heard of one.

Even with the higher rate in 2011/2012 Wranglers, its was never a common failure, just more frequent than it should have been. I certainly wouldn't worry about it, particularly since all 3.6 vehicles got the warranty extension.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

Also, I don't know if there's a way to check the oil filter housing, but that's been mentioned here a few times as a potential problem area.

You can CHECK it- but that doesn't mean it won't break while you're checking it.. :p Remove the filter cap and cartridge and make sure the bypass valve "pintle" is still in the center tube of the filter housing where it closes against the center opening of the filter cartridge. And be gentle when changing filters, I suspect most of the failed housings have been whacked by a careless filter changer at one time or another. At any rate, thats nother argument in favor of a 2013-up with the different oil filter.

Originally Posted By: JC1

The best years to buy is 2013 and up. They switched to heavy duty brakes.

It wasn't until 2014 that all trim levels had HD brakes. The 2013 AVP/CVP still had the standard, short lived brakes.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
At any rate, thats nother argument in favor of a 2013-up with the different oil filter.

If the oil filter housing design was changed in 2013, then absolutely...another reason to go newer.

I know my 2013 Grand Caravan has the same oil filter and housing as earlier Pentastars. Quite sure the change was 2014+.

Went and looked at a 2011 w/122k miles today. Nice van, $8999. Taking my grandmother to look at it tomorrow.

Those things have some power! The brakes felt good, they're new. Everything was tight.

Originally Posted By: JTK
Originally Posted By: JC1

The best years to buy is 2013 and up. They switched to heavy duty brakes.

It wasn't until 2014 that all trim levels had HD brakes. The 2013 AVP/CVP still had the standard, short lived brakes.

How hard is it to swap in HD hardware? I'm guessing caliper bracket, caliper, rotor; anything beyond that?

How pricey are the non-HD brake pads? I wonder if the price difference between 2013 and 2014 would pay for several sets of brakes.

Those things have some power! The brakes felt good, they're new. Everything was tight.

They're definitely competitive now. Motor Trend tested five 2015 model minivans. The 0-60 range for all was 7.6 seconds (Sienna) to 7.9 seconds (Odyssey), with the Sedona, Town & Country, and Quest falling in the middle. Incredible times we're living in, when every major player in the minivan market will hustle to 60 in under 8 seconds!

http://www.motortrend.com/news/the-big-test-2014-2015-minivans/

Supton, there are some threads on converting to the HD brakes. It can be done with new calipers, rotors, caliper brackets and 17" wheels to fit.

Most of your non-HD brake vans had 16" wheels.

I wouldn't let non-HD brakes scare me away if the deal was right. They're fine with quality parts and reasonable care.

Originally Posted By: supton
How hard is it to swap in HD hardware? I'm guessing caliper bracket, caliper, rotor; anything beyond that?

How pricey are the non-HD brake pads? I wonder if the price difference between 2013 and 2014 would pay for several sets of brakes.

You will also need 17' wheels as the 16' will not clear the calipers.
However the non HD brakes should still be fine especially if you buy a good set of pads. Lack of HD brakes would not affect my buying decision on an otherwise suitable candidate.

So what makes them non-heavy duty? Is it that it doesn't stop well? The one I test drove yesterday stopped great

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back