Maldonado Out at Renault?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Check here. Maybe he can find a seat in NASCAR.
wink.gif

I think Renault will be much better off for it. I hate to pile criticism on a driver, but Maldonado has proven over the years that his driving style just doesn't work; constantly making contact with other cars doesn't work so well in open-wheeled racers. I do feel, however, that an agressive (or sloppy) driving style can work better in touring cars/NASCAR/other similar style cars that actually have fenders, and where some contact isn't necessarily a bad thing. We shall see.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Check here. Maybe he can find a seat in NASCAR.
wink.gif

He can give Juan Pablo a call for some NASCAR pointers!

Too bad Renault couldn't get Alonso on loan for a season from McLaren.

Originally Posted By: Klutch9
I think Renault will be much better off for it. I hate to pile criticism on a driver, but Maldonado has proven over the years that his driving style just doesn't work; constantly making contact with other cars doesn't work so well in open-wheeled racers. I do feel, however, that an agressive (or sloppy) driving style can work better in touring cars/NASCAR/other similar style cars that actually have fenders, and where some contact isn't necessarily a bad thing. We shall see.

Talented kid but everything you've pointed out is true.

I wonder if his sponsorship ties could be used in another racing series. I can't see PDVSA getting involved in NASCAR, but if they did, and provided even half the funding to a NASCAR team that they did to his F1 ventures, that would be a monumental windfall.

Magnussen is a very talented driver and I'm glad to see him getting the chance he deserves. It will be fun to watch what he can do with a car that's supposed to be mid-pack this year and if they have a competitive 2017 entry I expect him to drive it up to the top 3 regularly.

Maldonado would be most suited to driving in demolition derbies at county fairs. Nice to see Magnussen getting another shot, but it is far from certain that Renault will even be respectable in their first year.

All he has left right now is Manor. Every other seat is occupied. He has publicly indicated he's done for this year, so I don't know if he already was in contact with Manor. In any event, part of the problem is that PDVSA is having some lean times, and I think they were balking at supplying as much money. Less might work for Manor, but they have enough DNFs and other problems without Pastor adding to things or breaking the spare parts budget. That's the sponsorship deal he needs. PDVSA covers all spare parts he breaks. Plus, they get cash back for every race he actually finishes.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back