Nascar at Lemans

So are they going to be racing on the track with F1 at the same time? Like they do with those slow porches and super fast lambos?

Maybe a Nascar driver would spin out and jump out, throw his helmet at a f1 car.....

So are they going to be racing on the track with F1 at the same time?
F1? No sir, this is a Le Mans 24 hour endurance race. The field will be Hypercar (purpose built hybrid prototypes from Cadillac, Porsche, Toyota, Ferrari, Peugeot, and couple of other private labels), LMP2 (LeMans Prototype purpose built closed cockpit chassis cars), and the LMGTE group which are production based cars heavily modified for this type of racing. These are the Porsche 911, Ferrari 488, Aston Martin Vantage, Corvettes, etc. And this year there is an entry into the "Innovative Car" class which will be the NASCAR based Chevrolet Camaro. The Camaro is racing but it's not competing for a spot on the winners podium when the show is over. It's just a bunch of rich guys who want to see what she'll do up against the world's best.

Hybrid Prototype (Hypercar)
Hypercar.jpg

Prototype LMP2
LMP2.jpg

LMGTE
GTE.jpg

NASCAR Camaro prepped for LeMans
LeMans Camaro.jpg

This is one of the few times that working the night shift at a sortof desk job rocks. Paid my $5 to Motortrend + and have the stream up on the monitor.

From what I can see, the Camaro is still going, looks to be about 10 laps down on the leading Hypercar, so that looks to be a pretty good showing so far.

What gearbox are they using ???
Some form of sequential transaxle, which means it is probably an independent rear end as well. I hadn't looked much into it.

--Edit--

I guess I've not paid attention to NASCAR in a while. Apparently, the NextGen cars are 5-speed sequential gearboxes now, and independent rear.

Didn't realize that Nascar was finally catching up to the 2000's in technology in their cars.

Last edited:
Some form of sequential transaxle, which means it is probably an independent rear end as well. I hadn't looked much into it.

--Edit--

I guess I've not paid attention to NASCAR in a while. Apparently, the NextGen cars are 5-speed sequential gearboxes now, and independent rear.

Didn't realize that Nascar was finally catching up to the 2000's in technology in their cars.
The next Gen NASCAR race car no longer uses the tried and true 4 speed gear box and Ford 9” rear end

The next Gen NASCAR race car no longer uses the tried and true 4 speed gear box and Ford 9” rear end
Yea, I haven't paid attention to them in probably 10-15 years in any serious way. Last I knew they were just switching over to injection. Didn't know they updated the rest of the car to be much more modern race car like.

Be nice to have one in about 10 years when there's some of those floating around on the used market. Would make a super fun track day car with a mild LS in it.

Yea, I haven't paid attention to them in probably 10-15 years in any serious way. Last I knew they were just switching over to injection. Didn't know they updated the rest of the car to be much more modern race car like.

Be nice to have one in about 10 years when there's some of those floating around on the used market. Would make a super fun track day car with a mild LS in it.
For what ever it’s worth…I’m not a fan of the current NASCAR car. NASCAR continues to grow father and father away from its true core race fan with car designs that have zero in common with its factory model it suppose to look like. But of course that’s nothing new to NASCAR.

For what ever it’s worth…I’m not a fan of the current NASCAR car. NASCAR continues to grow father and father away from its true core race fan with car designs that have zero in common with its factory model it suppose to look like. But of course that’s nothing new to NASCAR.
True, but at least they've embraced technologies that have been common in the automotive world for decades, instead of carburetors, 15" wheels, live rear axles, and distributor caps.

I'm much more a fan of cars/racing along the lines of the Australian supercars.

Last edited:
33rd place, 14 laps down just over halfway for the Camaro. That is a really good showing all things considered. Here's hoping they make the distance and don't cause/get hung up in on-track drama.

Up to 28th with 9.5 hours to go.

Completed 177 laps so far. Not sure how many laps down from the leader, the stream doesn't cycle through timing and scoring like you'd expect and I'm always left wondering who is where.

Caddilac is going to need some luck. The #2 car is still hanging on the lead lap, but it is 2 min back with 8 hours to go. Hopefully, they can hang on to a podium spot.

True, but at least they've embraced technologies that have been common in the automotive world for decades, instead of carburetors, 15" wheels, live rear axles, and distributor caps.

I'm much more a fan of cars/racing along the lines of the Australian supercars.
Oh I agree

Did you guys notice the rear spoiler on the Camaro? That thing looks like a sheet of plywood limiting the speeds on the straights. This entry is listed as "exhibition" so it's not really competing against anything but I'd love to see it blow a few Porsche and Ferrari entries into the weeds. The race will start this Saturday so if you can find it on TV then enjoy!
Yes, you have to look closely because the bottom half of the spoiler is black, but the upper half is clear plastic, so it won't look too bad. The LeMans organizers adjusted the power and aero allowances for the Camaro so it would be a little faster than the GTE cars, and not as fast as the LMP2's.

Compared to the Hypercar and LMP2 field it is a giant. It fits right in with the GTE cars though. I love the way it sounds. Cadillac has a Hypercar that sounds just like it but I have no idea what engine it's running.
It's using a direct injection pushrod 2-plane crank LT-series engine.
At least that what it sounds like. It sounds a lot different than the Corvette.

Last edited:
Back