Tony Stewart to race in Top Fuel in 2024, Leah Pruett taking the year off.

NHRA announced today that the Motorsports Hall of Famer Tony Stewart will get behind the wheel of the 11,000 HP Top Fuel dragster in 2024. He will be racing in place of his wife, Leah Pruett, who is taking the year off to focus on starting a family. Tony is the only racer to win championships in both Indycar and NASCAR. He has also won in USAC National Midget and Triple Crown series, plus another win in the Iroc series. Tony finished 2nd in Top Alcohol dragster in 2023. Can Tony add another notch the belt with a championship in the NHRA?

Haven't paid attention in decades. What are they running in the 1/4 mi these days. Are they using any electrification for an added boost?
Current NHRA record for e.t. is 3.623 by Brittany Force in 2019 at Reading, PA. The current speed record was also by Brittany Force which was 338.94 in 2022 at Pomona, CA. This is in the 1000' which the nitro classes have run since the passing of Scott Kalitta in 2008.

No electrification.

This should be good to watch and probably good for the NHRA. I've watched Smoke wheel a sprint car and a NASCAR. He is a good wheel man IMO.

Just my $0.02

I’m wondering if people are expecting him to make it to a final round or if he will be treated as a rookie as that is what he is.

I’m wondering if people are expecting him to make it to a final round or if he will be treated as a rookie as that is what he is.

As far as a boss expecting results, he is the boss, and I can guarantee he (and the entire team) will do his best to win. But there is a learning curve to driving a TF/D, which he'll have to figure out.

As for the NHRA, he'll have to meet all the regulations that any team wanting to race does. He'll get no special consideration for being a new driver.

If you mean from a fan perspective, I have no idea what the fan expectations may be.

This is definitely good for the NHRA. Going to bring a lot of eyes. I heard that Tony Stewart running NHRA Top Fuel had over 2 billion media impressions because of how many non-racing media outlets picked it up.

He almost won the TAD championship this year. He’s said he just doesn’t want to screw it up this year but I bet a part of him wants to win it all. It’s in his nature. He has 16 or 18 races to get comfy and then 6 races to run for the championship.

Tony and Leah are trying for a kid. I heard that if Smoke can't get it done that Matt Hagan will step up and take one for the team.

Back