Harshest operating environment for engine oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I might have found the harshest operating condition for engine oil the other day...

I seen a zamboni working at a run down skating rink in Puebla. The thing runs for about 10 minutes at a time [the guy didn't do a good job at all on the rink, only one pass] every hour or two in freezing temperatures.

The machine was all rusty and leaking snow from the rusted out corner of the dump box. I imagine it was bought new when the rink was built, about 30 years ago. I don't think it would be a stretch to say it might just have the factory fill in it. Why change the oil if it doesn't have 5,000 Km on it yet, right? I couldn't tell what engine it had, maybe a 4.9 Ford.

I was impressed to see a catalytic converter on the zamboni at the local indoor rink.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
I was impressed to see a catalytic converter on the zamboni at the local indoor rink.

I'm less impressed they're not using propane.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Originally Posted By: eljefino

I'm less impressed they're not using propane.
Most of them do.

A few come to mind, in no order.
Forktruck
Lawn equipment
Farm trucks/equipment

I have experience with all.
All see heat, dust, load, and abuse.

I have a truck at the farm that never see more the start, move25-10feet, shutdown. It may see two trips a year to town, 2.5miles.

Originally Posted By: SLATRON
I didn't know it was that cold in Mexico

Wasn't this thing used in a skating rink? Think about it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back