Switching oils on high mileage vehicles....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had always heard by my father a long time ago to stay with the same kind of oils instead of going back and forth, especially in the transmissions.

I run a local landscaping business and we just bought a fleet of high mileage trucks. (5) trucks to be exact. we are expanding our business this year and adding several crews and couldn't afford to do the expansion and equip every crew with a brand new truck, trailer, and new equipment. So we went the cheap route.

All the trucks are very high mileage, two have 400,000+ miles, two have 300,000+ miles, and one with 250,000 miles. They are all 2500 Gasoline trucks in the heavy duty chassis. The trucks are solid, run strong, no leaks with the exception of one with a minor oil pan gasket. And all of them have had recent 4l80 transmission rebuilds and complete front end rebuilds.

Long story short, I've always been a Valvoline or Mobile 1 man. The previous owner said he NEVER ran anything, but regular pensoil, $14. / 5 quart in every truck and suggested I stick to the same oil, every 3k miles.

Would it be a risk switching to my normal oil that I buy in bulk (Max Life) and (Mobile High Mileage) or should I stick with the much cheaper Pensoil. The Pensoil cost nearly half the price and it's obvious that it's been working.

I guess I should also mention we are partial to 3-4k mile oil change intervals. We prefer not to do any more being that we tow daily and tend to be rough on the engines.

Last edited:
Try Valvoline in one of them. I recently switched a 330K Camry to Valvoline HM as an experiment and noticed no ill effects. If anything, the quart in 5k consumption dropped a bit.

^^^^ If you want to experiment I agree with Blkstanger. It is familiar with Pennzoil DNA, keep your experimenting in the family. My 2¢

Originally Posted By: Hermann
^^^^ If you want to experiment I agree with Blkstanger. It is familiar with Pennzoil DNA, keep your experimenting in the family. My 2¢
How does "DNA" relate to motor oil composition?

'The Pensoil cost nearly half the price and it's obvious that it's been working.'

You answered your own question. Case closed!

I'd run whatever is cheap until you get a handle on which ones tend to use oil. Then you could switch over to a HM oil as needed - at this point I'd stay away from any full synthetic to avoid leaks. Check them often for oil usage - critical when other people are driving them.

There is some very good advice given here. You should stay with the Pennzoil, IMO. The truck with the leak, you might try Pennzoil HM or VML.
BTW, good luck with your business expansion!
thumbsup2.gif

Run whatever you want- the Pennzoil he used was quite good, but there's no hard-and-fast need to stick to the same oil. IMO periodically (not every oil change, maybe every couple of years) switching brands or forumlations is probably a good thing- trade additive and detergent packages so the strengths and weaknesses compliment each other over time.

Also, 3k is silly-often changing of the oil unless there's a lot of idle time on those trucks. Stretch out a bit- 5k would still be pretty conservative and save some bucks over time.

It is definitely preferred to stick with one brand/chemistry if you can. While all oils are compatible, mixing is not preferred on a regular basis.

I'm curious, where did you get these trucks?

Something similar (high mileage but good running engine, with rebuilt transmission and front end) sounds ideal for what I need (occasional use only for the next decade, short trips, might pull a trailer once in a while).

Originally Posted By: buster
It is definitely preferred to stick with one brand/chemistry if you can. While all oils are compatible, mixing is not preferred on a regular basis.

Really?
shocked.gif

Welcome to BITOG, land of everyone has a different opinion...

AFAIK there is no known issues from switching brands, some on here have no allegiance and only buy what's on sale, so every change is likely something different from last... Myself I'm partial to Mobil-1 but not tempting fate I'd probably stick with the Pennzoil... High mileage oil may help the leak you mentioned...

As long as there isn't a lot of idling, increasing change mileage is good info, these days 5K mi is the new normal(I do one year on Mobil 1 for around 8K mi average)... If you're not comfortable with 5K, split the difference and use 4K mi...

I would try Valvoline Maxlife 10w30 since you use it already.

Since you are in Texas and they have such high miles the 10w30 should help and the HM may help with any little burning/leaks.

Don't forget to check the trans fluid and diff gear oil as well. Just because they were rebuilt does not mean they are 100% good.

IMO I'd stick with the Pennz for now and stay with the 3K. Use a couple of UOA on them then decide what you want to do. 3K seems short but until you know their true condition and how they do under their new conditions, be conservative and play it safe.

With a business and fleet, couldn't you buy some sort of 55 gal. drum?

I'd personally get the least expensive option be it Pennzoil or some house brand. Make sure it's specs your trucks (API S whatever) and go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back