Switching from High Mileage to non High Mileage

Forgive my ignorance. Have been using High Mileage oils for the last 2 years on 4 different vehicles.
Can I go back to using Non High Mileage oils or will the seals shrink over time from lack of the "seal sweller" additaves?

Thanks in advance for the replies.

If switching away from HM it could effect the seals but how much you'd notice it is anyone's guess. The HM may help a little bit for oil burners. But you're free to switch & you may not notice anything different.

HM oil does not contain seal swellers but rather conditioners....that's what they say anyhow. You will be fine going back to regular non HM oil but I have to ask why? There is no cost savings and usually a HM has a little stronger additive package. Maybe just stay with HM?

Brace for impact
1702515891700.jpeg

HM oil does not contain seal swellers but rather conditioners....that's what they say anyhow. You will be fine going back to regular non HM oil but I have to ask why? There is no cost savings and usually a HM has a little stronger additive package. Maybe just stay with HM?
cause i have 3 of 4 older cars that never leaked a drop....#4 (northstar) had an occasional drop periodically. been using high mileage full synthetics for the least 2 years. 6 month intervals, mobil 1 ep hm (x2), castol edge hm, and pennzoil plat hm in that order. they're all springing leaks at once especially now with the pp. 2 different mechanics tell me that high mileage full synthetics are cleaning too well and removing stuff that was keeping leaks from happening or at least showing up. The cars have never run this good....smooth quiet engines. But I've had the following: rear main seal+oil pan gasket f250 5.8....oil pan and timing cover gasket buick 3.1....oil cooler line, crankshaft, crank position sensor, timing cover with a rear main beging to show up on the jimmy 4.3....and the newest is valve cover, oil preasure sensor, sending unit, pan gasket, half case, and rear main on the cadillac.
They told me to either use conventional or ideally a blend and one said to only use a high end full synthetic every 30k max to clean anything up for a 2-3 k interval.
All i know is I've dropped a conservative $5 k in the last year strictly on replacing gakets. checked all the pcvs and they're all clear so it isnt a pressure issue.
Been using these 2 different shops for years and am fishing buddies with both mechanics. The bigger shop owner tells me that hes seen me buy 4 cars in last 6 years that didn't leak and now they're all springing leaks in the last year or so. The other guy whom I've been friends with for 15 years works on on a few fleets of vehicles and he says that the local pharmacy has a fleet of American made vehicles older than mine, that don't leak as often as mine do. They both agreed that the engines run like champs and when they've pulled stuff apart, they'll call me down to look inside (cause i like to see that stuff) and they always remark on the cleanliness of my older vehicles internals for their age.

i know it's not the popular opinion that "syntbetic" oils cause leaks but well.....1 leaker i can agre with that statement.....2 leakers is a coincidence.....3 leakers is suspicious.....4 vehicles all leaking at the same time when they didnt previously? hard to believe especially since my boat engine (merc 3.0) gets mostly blends and doesn't leak at all.

idk both the guys who fix my cars tell me to switch to a conventional and change it every 3-4k or a blend (both leaned toward blends) and do every 5-6 k. i do my own oil changes so they aren't trying to profit off of more frequent changes.
any who thats the long version and the reason behind this question.

I use full synthetic in my cars just because...

But, for the F250... maybe there is a reason why Ford/Motorcraft sells blended oil, not full synthetic? I don't think cost is the reason, since it isn't their cost.

cause i have 3 of 4 older cars that never leaked a drop....#4 (northstar) had an occasional drop periodically. been using high mileage full synthetics for the least 2 years. 6 month intervals, mobil 1 ep hm (x2), castol edge hm, and pennzoil plat hm in that order. they're all springing leaks at once especially now with the pp. 2 different mechanics tell me that high mileage full synthetics are cleaning too well and removing stuff that was keeping leaks from happening or at least showing up. The cars have never run this good....smooth quiet engines. But I've had the following: rear main seal+oil pan gasket f250 5.8....oil pan and timing cover gasket buick 3.1....oil cooler line, crankshaft, crank position sensor, timing cover with a rear main beging to show up on the jimmy 4.3....and the newest is valve cover, oil preasure sensor, sending unit, pan gasket, half case, and rear main on the cadillac.
They told me to either use conventional or ideally a blend and one said to only use a high end full synthetic every 30k max to clean anything up for a 2-3 k interval.
All i know is I've dropped a conservative $5 k in the last year strictly on replacing gakets. checked all the pcvs and they're all clear so it isnt a pressure issue.
Been using these 2 different shops for years and am fishing buddies with both mechanics. The bigger shop owner tells me that hes seen me buy 4 cars in last 6 years that didn't leak and now they're all springing leaks in the last year or so. The other guy whom I've been friends with for 15 years works on on a few fleets of vehicles and he says that the local pharmacy has a fleet of American made vehicles older than mine, that don't leak as often as mine do. They both agreed that the engines run like champs and when they've pulled stuff apart, they'll call me down to look inside (cause i like to see that stuff) and they always remark on the cleanliness of my older vehicles internals for their age.

i know it's not the popular opinion that "syntbetic" oils cause leaks but well.....1 leaker i can agre with that statement.....2 leakers is a coincidence.....3 leakers is suspicious.....4 vehicles all leaking at the same time when they didnt previously? hard to believe especially since my boat engine (merc 3.0) gets mostly blends and doesn't leak at all.

idk both the guys who fix my cars tell me to switch to a conventional and change it every 3-4k or a blend (both leaned toward blends) and do every 5-6 k. i do my own oil changes so they aren't trying to profit off of more frequent changes.
any who thats the long version and the reason behind this question.
I know this is a very unpopular opinion here, but I completely agree with you. I have experienced it directly myself when switching back and forth from Mobil 1 and conventional/blends in two older vehicles and it's why I won't run M1 in those cars anymore. Do the gaskets/seals need to be replaced? Yes. But does Mobil 1 "find" those leaks easier? I think so.

For what it's worth, I emailed Shell/Pennzoil support months ago and asked about the differences between their regular and HM oils, and they replied that the HM version of Platinum less cleaning ability than standard PP, and instead has added seal conditioner. Is that because Shell knows that if the oil cleans too well that it'll help to spring a leak in an older engine? Wouldn't surprise me.

I know this is a very unpopular opinion here, but I completely agree with you. I have experienced it directly myself when switching back and forth from Mobil 1 and conventional/blends in two older vehicles and it's why I won't run M1 in those cars anymore. Do the gaskets/seals need to be replaced? Yes. But does Mobil 1 "find" those leaks easier? I think so.

For what it's worth, I emailed Shell/Pennzoil support months ago and asked about the differences between their regular and HM oils, and they replied that the HM version of Platinum less cleaning ability than standard PP, and instead has added seal conditioner. Is that because Shell knows that if the oil cleans too well that it'll help to spring a leak in an older engine? Wouldn't surprise me.
yeah its the HM version of pp that had me thinking of switching to blends. like i said the engines purr on these oils but like my mechanics said....they seem to clean too well. i figure that after 2 years they've been cleaned pretty well. i just didn't know if i needed to continue to use high mileage oil forever or if i could go back to a non HM blend. Your post has me thinking i may have to stick with high mileage now lol.

Been using these 2 different shops for years and am fishing buddies with both mechanics. The bigger shop owner tells me that hes seen me buy 4 cars in last 6 years that didn't leak and now they're all springing leaks in the last year or so….”

the relevance of them being fishing buddies is…..?

not saying they are intentionally misleading you, I just don’t get the connection between fishing buddy and oil authority.

My very first mechanic mentor made it very clear to me that someone having 20 years of experience in any field can be an indication an important lengthy accumulation of knowledge….. or it can just mean that the person just had one year’s experience that they repeated twenty times over and over, instead of each year building on what was learned the years beforehand.

note: Although fishing buddies are experts at telling “whoppers”, that likely doesn’t apply here.

Anecdotal experience is entertaining, but can one make a legitimate deduction or concluson from a test group of 4 cars ?

On an individual case by case basis, is it possible that using a certain type of oil is responsible for an undesired outcome ? I suppose it is possible.

But extrapolating that one (or a few) instance(s) to the point of it having universal relevance is indeed a whopper.

Last edited:
Wet seals that weep a bit can last a long time even going back and forth between HM and standard formula oils …
In some cases a bump in viscosity can help …

not saying they are intentionally misleading you, I just don’t get the connection between fishing buddy and oil authority.

My very first mechanic mentor made it very clear to me that someone having 20 years of experience in any field can be an indication an important lengthy accumulation of knowledge….. or it can just mean that the person just had one year’s experience that they repeated twenty times over and over, instead of each year building on what was learned the years beforehand.

note: Although fishing buddies are experts at telling “whoppers”, that likely doesn’t apply here.

Anecdotal experience is entertaining, but can one make a legitimate deduction or concluson from a test group of 4 cars ?

On an individual case by case basis, is it possible that using a certain type of oil is responsible for an undesired outcome ? I suppose it is possible.

But extrapolating that one instance to the point of it having universal relevance is indeed a whopper.
I’d want to know if they can rebuild my old reels for cheap 😷

But extrapolating that one (or a few) instance(s) to the point of it having universal relevance is indeed a whopper.
I mention it to establish that the advice is coming from an angle of decades long friends whom i believe have my best interest at heart and not some "slimy" mechanics attempting to goad me into bringing my vehicles to their shop for more feequent oil changes or to wear down my engines sooner so that I'll need them to repair them or some other angle that people tend to speculate on so many of these posts.....that is specifically why I mentioned that. One is a shop owner whom used to work for Ford and travel to dealerships to instruct the Ford dealership mechanics on certain vehicles at any given time. When his time with Ford was done....he opened a shop. The other guy used to service various used car lots and now his usual clients are local companies with fleets (pharmacy that does rx delivery, security patrol companies, cab companies ect.) with a few old customers mixed in. Annnnd he soups up his own classics for fun. The relevance is that they're mechanics whom happen to be friends.... mentioning it was to keep the doomsayers at bay. If someone didn't inquire as to the reasoning for my origianl question....i would have never mentioned it.
I suppose the connection between oil authority and fishing buddies whom are mechanics (both 30 years+) is that they've seen problems.....taken apart engines....and dealt with real world problems related to various types of automotive lubricants. Is one thing to have speculative knowledge.....and is another to have real world experience. Such as why I'm asking the question here regarding switching back and forth between HM and non HM.....looking for both speculative and real world experience.
Not sure what you're first mentors saying has to do with this....but it does make sense for what it is.
Ok yeah its only 4 cars....but 100% of the cars I own....that have gotten the exact same maintenance for the last few years regardless of mileage......all oil changes every 6 months (never hitting 5k), tranny fluid changes every other year (never hitting 20 k), air filters replaced yearly, coolant flushes bi yearly, so on and so forth only keeping track of mileage for tire rotations. And all cars sprang leaks within a couple months of each other. One did have a singluar leak that would pop up a dime sized drop every couple of days.....and is well known to be a leaky engine....but its began leaving more and more spots lately. It's hard to believe that 4 cars springing leaks simultaneously is a coincidence. The mechanics tell me its a known common problem.....dumb ass owners like me putting high grade synthetic in old cars that had lifetimes of conventional and blends then the owners add synthetic because they "saw the light", watched a youtube video, or read about how great synthetics are and now they're stuck with expensive gasket replacment bills. Hey I've read everywhere that synthetics causing leaks was a Myth....but why do the bloggers and oil sellers tell you that but the guys who actually replace the gaskets say otherwise?
I mean it's hard to call it an undesirable outcome....if its cleaning gunk from one part of the engine it must be cleaning it from internals.....but the gasket replacment jobs are nickle and diming me to death lol....even with friend discounts.
I guess I'm just here telling whoopers then. It's just been my experience and whats happened to me and aparrently others on this page as well. I'm no expert....if I was i would be answering questions not asking them. All i know is that i had 4 cars that didnt leak.....and now i have 4 that all began leaking right about the same time.....if it isn't the oil then what else would it be?

I have never used HM oils in a vehicle that had no need for it.
Example:
My former 2004 Chevy Colorado 4x4 3.5 five cylinder engine is now 20 years old with 165k on the odometer. Grandson now uses the vehicle daily. It never has seen an ounce of HM oil and to this day, does not have a need for seal conditioners.

Don't ever attempt to fix something that ain't in need of fixin'. If someone else says they used HM oils from the factory-fill forward, good for them. I am puzzled by these people. Why?..... because I've been here since 2004 and not a single member has shown me a reason why / how it's benefited their 20 year-old HM-oil engines with 165k+ miles on it and they never had to get any other seals replaced in those 20+ years without any HM oils.

No drips of oil or other fluids on our driveways in 20+ years either.

Last edited:
“…..All i know is that i had 4 cars that didnt leak.....and now i have 4 that all began leaking right about the same time.....if it isn't the oil then what else would it be?

a short list of what it could be:
poor gasket materials, QC on these parts is abysmal.
assembly errors
warped gasket surfaces
incompatible expansion rates due to dissimilar engine materials
Sealant on gaskets where none is called for
out of range of the preferred ambient air temperature during assembly
assembled parts contaminated with dirt, oil, grease, or oily fingerprints.
…..the list could go on and on.

Suffice it to say that I doubt the pronouncement of anyone who makes the generalization that X causes Y without more evidence than what your fishing buddy mechanics have provided. The majority of vehicles, using the same type of oil that you were warned against using, have no issues.

Anecdotal outliers are not proof of anything.

Back