Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5w-40 vs Castrol Edge 0w-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which is better for my BMW F30 328i?
I'm currently using Castrol Edge 0W-30 (Belgium Made).

Is the Pennzoil worth a jump?

Both of these oils should be A3 rated so you're good there. Castrol was, for years, BMW's recommended oil. Recently it seems that now SOPUS has BMW's contract and is the oil of choice per BMW.
Either one is good and will protect your engine for years to come, with reasonable OCI's.

Originally Posted By: double vanos
Either one is good and will protect your engine for years to come, with reasonable OCI's.

+1

I'd consider them comparable.

If that is the case. I should stick with Castrol.
I saw this new craze going on with Pennzoil, so i thought of giving it a try
laugh.gif

Speaking of the Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5w-40...is there any real difference between that and the PUP 0w040 or PP Euro 0w-40? Seems to me to be 3 very similar oils in the same performance range of 3.7-3.9 hths. Or is this more of marketing or what happens to be popular as the moment? In reading an older SOPUS FAQ from a few years back, they were stating they were going to phase out the PP Euro 5w-40 and replace it with PUP. It's still around though. It doesn't help that the Pennzoil site only shows specs on the PUP 0w-40.

One difference I noted on the quart bottles was that the 0w-40 didn't have the numerous approvals that the PP Euro 0/5w-40 did (Porsche, MB, BMW, VW, etc.). No doubt the PUP has a "little" more robust cleaning additive package than the PP, but other than that they seem identical to me.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
Just found that recent thread which suggests there's not much difference in the PUP/PP 40 grades.

PP Euro 0w-40 meets MB 229.5 spec, which means it has NOACK of no more than 10%. PUP 0w-40 doesn't.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Just found that recent thread which suggests there's not much difference in the PUP/PP 40 grades.

PP Euro 0w-40 meets MB 229.5 spec, which means it has NOACK of no more than 10%. PUP 0w-40 doesn't.

Thanks. In determining which to buy (0w-40 PUP or a 5w-40 PPE) I just went by the one with the most mfg approvals.

And the 5w-40 PP Euro also meets MB 229.5 specs....as well as Ferrari, Maserati, BMW LL-01, VW 502/505, Porsche A40, Chrysler MS 12991, 10850, 10725, RN 0700/0710, PSA B71 2296, Fiat 9.55535-Z2. No Dexos 1 but you can't have "everything."

I looked high and low around this site and internet and couldn't find a less than 1 year old or so VOA/spec on the 5w-40 Euro PP...or the 0W-40 PPE for that matter. Maybe I can find it on a European site?

No Dexos 1 but you can't have "everything."

Yes. Dexos1 and the rest of these specs are mutually exlusive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back