Nissan weird recommendation: 0W20 or dino 5W30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking through the manual of my new 2015 Nissan Rogue - the recommended oil is 0W20, but it also states that "conventional" 5W30 can be substituted and maintain full warranty. My understanding is that all OW20 oil is synthetic. Why would they recommend a mineral 5W30 as the substitute? Personally, I couldn't care less as it is leased and I only plan to do the minimum recommended maintenance, but if I can use dino 5W30, I'm using it.

Because conventional oils can meet the oil change intervals. My brother has a Chevy Cobalt with an oil life monitor, and he told me that he has always used Castrol GTX white bottle, and he changes his around 7,000 miles. My memory is not too good any more, but I think he said the oil life monitor was around 15 percent at that mileage.

Originally Posted By: Audioquest
Looking through the manual of my new 2015 Nissan Rogue - the recommended oil is 0W20, but it also states that "conventional" 5W30 can be substituted and maintain full warranty. My understanding is that all OW20 oil is synthetic. Why would they recommend a mineral 5W30 as the substitute? Personally, I couldn't care less as it is leased and I only plan to do the minimum recommended maintenance, but if I can use dino 5W30, I'm using it.

I own a 2015 Rogue and asked the same question about the oil. Service adviser said the 5W30 conventional is allowed as a substitute because Nissan didn't want customers upset over being forced to pay the extra cost for synthetic. Of course he agreed conventional is more than adequate for the 6 month/5,000 mile interval Nissan recommends. Like you I'm using the 5W30.

Nissan says it's ok to use 5w30, Toyota says its ok to use 5w20 but must switch back to 0W20 next oil change. It's interesting how Nissan jumps from 0W20 to 5w30, in other parts of the world it probably calls for 15W40, I'ts a bunch of [censored].

Originally Posted By: laserred96gt
I'ts a bunch of [censored].

^^^ This.

Yes it is

Conventional 5w-20 shears to lower viscosity than conventional 5w-30 does.

Members used to be in agreement viscosity helps prevent metal to metal contact however, that's been frequently debated following Ford's and Honda's successes using 5w-20.

Originally Posted By: laserred96gt
Nissan says it's ok to use 5w30, Toyota says its ok to use 5w20 but must switch back to 0W20 next oil change. It's interesting how Nissan jumps from 0W20 to 5w30, in other parts of the world it probably calls for 15W40, I'ts a bunch of [censored].

Also, Nissan used 0W-20 for CAFE testing, and my understanding is that they are required to recommend whatever oil is used for testing.

My girlfriend just bought a 2016 Rogue and the same recommendation is there.

I guess we can use either 0W-20 or 5W-30. I wonder if using 5W-30 synthetic will void the warranty while 5W-30 conventional is OK?

Its your engine and your money.

If you don't want to use a 0w20, use the 5w20, 0w30, 5w30....
If you don't want to use synthetic, use blend or conventional.
If you don't want to use conventional, use synthetic or blend.

Just make sure that your oil level is full. Make sure that you keep your receipts and maintenance log books up to date. And, make sure you pick an oil grade that is acceptable for your weather, and an oil/filter change interval that is acceptable for your driving style/location.

And, yes, its all a bunch of crock.

Doesn't Nissan require a spec? Like SN or something? If so then running an oil of either weight as long as meets the specification will be fine.

Originally Posted By: stchman
I wonder if using 5W-30 synthetic will void the warranty while 5W-30 conventional is OK?

I wonder if using 10W-30 will void the warranty while 5W-30 is OK?
smile.gif

Yes, Merk 10w30 will void warranty, cause pestilence, plague, and tooth decay
smile.gif

Last edited:
My understanding is that all OW20 oil is synthetic.
That's almost true, mostly. Honda branded and ACDelco are blends, maybe others. Walmart's 0w-20s are all full synthetics. No biggie.
Why would they recommend a mineral 5W30 as the substitute? Personally, I couldn't care less as it is leased and I only plan to do the minimum recommended maintenance, but if I can use dino 5W30, I'm using it.
For a lease for sure, buy the cheapest SN 5w-30, fine there. It's CAFE fuel economy official ratings requirements that cause Nissan to be schizophrenic about viscosities. Since MPG figures are based on use of 0w-20 (and the thinnest they could find, likely...), they are forced to put that "recommended" language in their owner's manuals.

As many have said, about any engine I've ever heard of will be just fine if not better (anti wear) if you go from a 20 oil to a 30 oil. Small increase in viscosity is alright.

Thought you'd get a hoot out of that
smile.gif

I am like you in that I like 10w30 as well. I'm running a Pennzoil synthetic blend of 10w30 in my lady's Camry. I may well change my Mobil Super Synthetic to 10w30 for the next oil change. I wonder why only the 5w30s are Dexos approved? And not the 10w30s. Lower NOACK scores with the 10w30s and same operating viscosity as the 5w30 obviously.

Conventional 5W-30 tends to shear to 5W-20 weight or near 5W-20 anyway, according to many UOAs posted around here. That's probably the reasoning behind Nissan's recommendation.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: stchman
I wonder if using 5W-30 synthetic will void the warranty while 5W-30 conventional is OK?

I wonder if using 10W-30 will void the warranty while 5W-30 is OK?
smile.gif

10W-30 causes too much varnish.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Yes, Merk 10w30 will void warranty, cause pestilence, plague, and tooth decay
smile.gif

And too much varnish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back