I'm done with maintenance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even though I over maintain vehicles I believe, like humans, it is all in the genes. I over maintained my sons Izusu and it still developed a bad knock and multiple oil leaks at 150,000. Just bad genes on some engines. hate to say it but I have seen too many friends just beat the [censored] out of cars, if it ain't broke don't maintain it attitude, and they seem to last forever.

Originally Posted By: Kool1
Well with the minimal maintenance you plan, your vehicle will probably only last 500,000 miles. I hope to take mine to 5,000,000 miles. Wait, who am I kidding?

Yeah they talk about it on the forum for 6 months how its a forever keeper than it gets traded on like their last car...30k miles and a bunch of wasted time and money later.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: dishdude
A guy I work with that is in sales buys nothing but old Enterprise cars off rental, changes the oil every 10k at Jiffy Lube

That guy don't wrench on his own cars. He's not gonna be disassembling his engine at 400K because it'll never make it there in the first place.

Assumes facts not in evidence.

Originally Posted By: zach1900
you're kidding, right?

No I'm not. 10 years is insane. I change my coolant every year.

THAT is insane.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
Originally Posted By: dishdude
I recently purchased a new Jeep and can't see a reason to depart from the very few manufacturer required services that are listed in the manual.

Thoughts?

My friend just installed a replacement engine in his Jeep. He too, thought like you. $4000 later, and a month of rental cars, his V6 powered Jeep drives like it did before.

I can absolutely promise that more frequent oil changes and coolant changes would have prevented his rod-knock and other problems.

Explain, in detail, EXACTLY how following the manufacturer's recommended PM schedule caused the engine to fail. Be specific.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
If you follow the manufacturer's recommended maintenance schedule, your car will be toast in 5 years.

They're not in the business to have cars last.

Engine coolant changed at 10 years ? Insane.

My vehicles are not toast. They're running fairly well at 12 years old. The initial coolant change recommendation by the manual is 10years/150k miles. Then 5 years/100k miles after that. That's what I do. No problems yet.

penny wise pound foolish

" If that saves me from having to replace one seal or bearing then it's a bargain."

And there it is- the net net of why go the extra mile with a quality filters, magnets, and fluids changed on a regular basis - if you plan on keeping your stuff a long time all the little things you do add up.

When it comes to trucks and commercial equipment - I'm from the old school where we wear it out and then rebuild it to get more life out of it.

Keeping something from weeping with easy cheap fluid changes far easier than fixing it when if it starts to leak, and if it starts to leak hard and fast - it can save you a ton.

Although I would agree almost nothing benefits from a yearly coolant flush if kept clean all along.

I hear all the time on BITOG - "it doesn't matter"

I would rewrite that to say - "it doesn't matter to some" and it does matter to others.

UD

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JohnnyMerrill
no way I'd go 10 years on coolant
Agreed. At 5 years, 150K miles (which is 50K past what Ford recommended), I had a light sludge accumulating in my F-150 that required a lot of flushing to get out. Maybe if the person making this statement is in a warm climate it is irrelevant to him, but I am in a warm climate (with multiple trips to minus something per year) and 10 years is far too long for a coolant change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back