Tv questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
So we are upgrading a tv in our home. I am going to be trying out a Samsung 55 inch hu7250 curved 4k. This is a 2014 model that I can get from BB for what seems a very good price of 850 dollars.

I have spent time looking around at reviews and there is some and over all seems like a decent tv.

My concern is that being a year old its not really worth its price. For example best buy also has the m series 55 inch vizio 4k tv for 850 on sale. And the final problem is I use tv for all its purposes. Regular tv. Sports. Video games. Blue ray and DVD watching. So there isn't a perfect tv for allmy wants in my budget it seems. So what do you all think. Good choice. Better options out there??

Also 55 is the max I can buy. But I'm open to sizes between 42 and 55 inches

I've owned two modern Samsung televisions, a 47" and a 55". The 47" had some issues and needed to be repaired. Phenomenal customer service from Samsung. That alone will tip my opinion to Samsung.

That said, Vizio is the only manufacturing doing a full array LED backlight at a reasonable price. Everybody else is edge lit until you climb into the $2,000+ range. I'm very curious to see how well these television perform in the living room. Lots of bang for your buck here.

Oh... and here is what you're going to hear in this thread: You don't need 4K. You don't need a smart TV. You don't need a curved screen. Buy a plasma.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Check Costco out, they have some good deals. You can get 55-60 inch for $850. Christmas time specials are sometimes worth waiting for.
This is a nice set in that price range.

Samsung UN60J620DAFXZA

That's a 1080p screen, not 4K resolution.
There isn't much 4K content right now, but the content is quickly being made available at high resolution. The increase in price is modest making this an easy choice.

Look around for any 4K digital content. youll find almost none so if it take another year or two to become common your year old new TV may be really outdated.

If you do find 4K dvd's do you have a player for them? Cable is not 4K yet is it?

I would get an awesome top of the line LED now for a song at Costco and wait till 4K mainstreams more. Also I'm hearing that OLED's may be on the way ...that will be a step up.

Last edited:
Buy what you like.

I'll tell you this. That 4k display in the showroom is going to look much better than you hooking it up to Cable or DirecTV.

Don't be afraid to buy from Newegg or Amazon and skip the tax if you can.

I bought two cheapo brand TV's and they look fine for my purposes. Changhong from newegg, 50 inch for $300. 40 inch Insignia best buy house brand for $200.

For $850 I could buy 3 or 4 TV's. If it lasts a few years dandy, then I throw it out.

I would prefer a plasma or oled. But everyone stopped making plasma and oled are just too pricey. Quick look of content is available on Samsung with a Comcast App Netflix YouTube. Read the first 4k DVD players will be available the end of this year. So probably Christmas time. The reason I am really asking about this tv is it was 2 grand tv when it first came out. Seems like at 850 for a 4k tier premium should be better than a current model low end 4k. But that is what I do not know. Content is coming faster than we think. But I have seen articles on how easy it is to jump to 8k. So who knows. I'm not needing to spend an entire fortune on this thing. But I do value a good picture and must have at least decent input lag for gaming. The input lag is what really what keeps me away from the cheap tv as I have not seen tests on that feature

Last edited:
JustinH said:
Buy what you like.

I'll tell you this. That 4k display in the showroom is going to look much better than you hooking it up to Cable or DirecTV.

I'd agree to the extent that I wouldn't be enamored by a 4K display unless you're doing all of your viewing on an OTA antenna or a non-compressed source.

That sounds like a good price. Do you like the curved TV? We were kind of thrown off by it.

Last years 4K may not be the same as next years 4K. A couple of sets this year have started implementing a high dynamic range of some sort - different mfg's have different names, but they might be more future proof.

But you are looking at a $2,000 tv that might be better than an $850 TV. You could buy two of them and have some money left over.

I have spent so much time at RTINGS.com that I may never be able to purchase a tv. I have my eyes on a Samsung 55" or 60" 8500 series LCD. I just can't justify spending the money.

I wouldn't even be considering it except that my Panasonic Plasma is dying. My concern is that the plasma looks so good, I hate to spend good money on a new set and not have it look significantly better. My Panasonic needs two boards which are several hundred dollars and I will be left with an 8 year old tv. Which currently works 95% of the time, but I have to unplug it every so often.

I have no plans to use any 4K content for a while, but my understanding is that the good 1080p sets have been displaced for 4K.

Last edited:
I have a Samsung LED 42" in 1080P. I have seen the poor complexion of enough actors and news anchors to say any higher definition would not necessarily be a good thing.

I have 2 Vizios and I am very happy with them. Also have a Sony, it's good too.

The smart features on the Vizio are laid out a bit cleaner and the Vizio boots up much faster than the Sony.

The curved things im not really sold on.. Defiantly wouldn't be buying any other set that was curved as they usually go 200 to 400 dollars more than the same model with out a curve. I would only be buying this curved model due to the cost of it.

I had a sony SXRD 60 as my big screen tv that was not a CRT
Then 2 years ago i got a 65 inch Panasonic S60 plasma. I wanted the ST60 for picture quality but the input lag was Horrid. SO i went with the S60. This is going to replace the old sony 40" CRT HD tv in our bedroom. Its still a great TV but only has DV-i and no didgital sound input. So adding a sound bar or sound system wouldnt be cheap either. And a full reciever system will take up to much room in the bedroom. So that is why the upgrade. The wife wants an XBOX one in the bedroom.. and it only has digital outputs.

The biggest reason im willing to buy a 4K Tv is all the best visual feature are being stripped from from the "lesser" 1080p tvs. Kinda making it hard to justify not buying a better PQ tv.

Originally Posted By: Blkstanger
I have a Samsung LED 42" in 1080P. I have seen the poor complexion of enough actors and news anchors to say any higher definition would not necessarily be a good thing.

Agree. 1080 is more than enough. But I do understand why TV manufacturers have to come out every few years with a new model. There can't be much money made on $150 32 inch tvs.

TV `s go down in price the longer they are around . That same set that`s $850 now will likely be $500 in 3 years .

Originally Posted By: Jimkobb
TV `s go down in price the longer they are around . That same set that`s $850 now will likely be $500 in 3 years .

At some point you need to pull the trigger and buy, or you'll never own any piece of technology.

Personally I have no interest in 4k right now, I'd buy the lowest priced Vizio/LG/Samsung/Sony I could find in the size I wanted. I bought a 60" a few months ago, and Vizio/LG/Samsung were the best values. The low end Samsungs had thick cabinets, and had cheesy looking stands.

Sure, because most people will not want it as it would be outdated technology by then.

With that said, if you don't have to have the latest and greatest, then buying an older set does make perfect sense.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Sure, because most people will not want it as it would be outdated technology by then.

With that said, if you don't have to have the latest and greatest, then buying an older set does make perfect sense.

More likes a year to a year and a half.

One thing should avoid is extend warranty, the cost is too high. If you buy a TV with credit card they usually extend warranty another year from manufacture warranty of 1 year. After 2 years if anything goes wrong just by a replacement which is cheaper than extend warranty.

Usually, electronic doesn't fail after a year or so, if it breaks usually within few months. My 3 Sharps Aquos are working as good as it was 10 years ago.

If you look at any computer content on it, like hook a laptop up to it, the Samsung looks better than my Changhong.

Otherwise, just watching DirecTV they look the same to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back