Shopping For Large TV

I'm planning to replace my 50 inch plasma insignia TV, perhaps after christmas.

I would like around an 85 inch screen. Its going in a 20ft x 20ft room.

I don't really know a lot about specs. I did see a thread here about a samsung tv failing quickly. I'm not a fan of that brand anymore.

What specs or suggestions should i look for? I know costco has large screens, as well as best buy, and walmart.

TV would be mostly for watching off direct-tv , no gaming. I probably will keep my dvd player connected.

Thanks.

what is the viewing angle. if its a wide angle(offset couches) you should look for IPS on the cheap end and OLED on high end.

most LCD TV will have bad color shift etc if you have a wide viewing angle.

just goto store and walk past the tv staring at it and you will see the color shift as you go from side.. to right in front then the other side.

IF the tv is aimed right at the viewers with minimal angle that isnt an issue.

Also what is your budget.. you can go from $600 to 4k+

what is the viewing angle. if its a wide angle(offset couches) you should look for IPS on the cheap end and OLED on high end.

just goto store and walk past the tv staring at it and you will see the color shift as you go from side.. to right in front then the other side.

Center viewing mostly. I don't know what IPS means.

I was looking at this one. https://www.costco.com/sony-85"-class---x80ck-series---4k-uhd-led-lcd-tv.product.100854798.html

Seems mediocre but big.

SO I was trying to figure out better tv's at near that price.. found one that got 8.8's and I checked.. $5500 oof.

IPS is a type of LCD panel.. they all have trade offs
VA is another.
contrast vs wide angle viewing etc.

THIS TCL gets better reviews and 420 cheaper.

This 86" samsung is under 1000 (300+ cheaper)
and has better ratings than that one at costco.

I wouldnt go over 65" . A 85" TV is way to big for a 20 ft room .
it depends if you are 6ft away in a 20ft room yes. if its on a wall 15ft away.... IMO... no.

I have a hisense u8h (love it) and its 65" at about 7-9ft. not too big. I think even a 70-75 would be ok.
the HDR brightness makes you look at shows a whole different way The Mandalorian as an example.

I would avoid the “cheap” IPS displays. My $600 65” LG sucks, it doesn’t get very bright nor can it display a decent black leading to a horrific contrast ratio.

I have this one, I am very happy with it. One thing to keep in mind, the feet are deep so make sure your stand is deep enough for it to fit.

Screenshot 2023-12-10 134713.jpg

I would personally stick with Sony for processing alone. Especially if you watch a lot of lower resolution content.

My choice would be X90L if trying not to break the bank, X95L if looking to get the best to date.

I wouldnt go over 65" . A 85" TV is way to big for a 20 ft room .

This 86" samsung is under 1000 (300+ cheaper)
and has better ratings than that one at costco.

it depends if you are 6ft away in a 20ft room yes. if its on a wall 15ft away.... IMO... no.

I have a hisense u8h (love it) and its 65" at about 7-9ft. not too big. I think even a 70-75 would be ok.
the HDR brightness makes you look at shows a whole different way The Mandalorian as an example.
Viewing distance will be about 12 ft.

Would 75 inch be better then?

I should add, this will be wall mounted , above a mantle.

Viewing distance will be about 12 ft.

Would 75 inch be better then?

I should add, this will be wall mounted , above a mantle.
75 would be ok..
85 is considered ok for 12ft on the large end.

You might like a higher end tv that has more than 60hz refresh rate.. and good hdr brightness vs a slightly bigger tv.

for example the hisense u8k in 75" is in your price range.

I've had to reset mine(U8H model) once in 5 months that is the "abit buggy" part of the review.
If I was using a fire stick or something besides the built in google apps that is Not applicable.

To give an example I've used before.. watching the Mandalorian

The sun beams shining in doors, blaster fire etc is extremely bight and amazing. no blur etc.

OLED is the most amazing.. but 77" runs about $2000 or more.
OLED is not backlit/zone dimming etc... each individual pixel is a light..

Edit: more info.
Mini-LED backlit is next best and the color and brightness can be astounding.. but contrast and viewing angles wont approach OLED.

but like tires each model is different so shop by model.. not by brand if that makes sense.

TCL also has some great TV's at budget prices.

SONY is great on the higher end.. but their mid and lower tier TV you just pay for a name.

Basics: A normal LCD screen you are shining a light through the panel (to get color) and viewing it.
there are different types IPS/VA/TN etc.
Backlights different types.. Edge lit, Full array lit, some have dimming zones to improve contrast (from 32 to hundreds of zones) then mini led which is the pinnacle so far

OLED the pixel IS the light.. you arent shining a light through a LCD (LED TVs are LED backlit LCD)

OLED each and every pixel is the light and that is 8+ million of them on a 4k screen.

Last edited:
My 77 inch TV is 13 feet from my eyes. It is nowhere near the viewing size of say, a typical movie theater. At an outstretched arms length, from the very back row, my local theater has a screen 4 fists across. My TV, 2+.

Go big!

I realize that you have heard negative comments on Samsung, but Samsung has top ratings for reliability in CR. Sony, Samsung and LG are the only three brands that scored 5/5 for both predicted reliability and owner satisfaction. These three brands are the only brands that scored 5/5 for owner satisfaction.

It is my understanding that flat tv's tend to fail very early on, or they last for thousands of hours of operation. Since you are looking at buying one from Costco, you should rest assured that, if a new tv did fail early, it would be covered by the Costco extended warranty, if not the manufacturer's warranty. And of course the excellent Costco return policy.

My 77 inch TV is 13 feet from my eyes. It is nowhere near the viewing size of say, a typical movie theater. At an outstretched arms length, from the very back row, my local theater has a screen 4 fists across. My TV, 2+.

Go big!
the problem is partially the jump from 75 to 85 is massive $$$ sometimes 50%(or more)

IF I was going to spend 1500 I'd stretch to 2k for this one (comes with soundbar too)

A samsung 77" OLED that just went down almost 2000 dollars.

85" oleds are still 4-5k?

Back