New Samsung TV bites the dust.

As an electrical engineer, I have found that it is often the case that new electronics goes through an initial "shake down cruise" period when chips and components first see voltage and current. Bad chips, bad connections, etc show up in this initial use period, and the appliance fails.

If you make it through this initial period, the appliance will then usually last a long time.

Unfortunately, most things today are robotically manufactured, and if it turns on at the end of the assembly line, into the box it goes and out to the distributor. The purchasing consumer is the first person to do a quality control check.

Costco's return policy is 90 days. I have discovered that purchasing electronics and phones at Costco comes with a number of advantages. Recently purchased iPhone 15 pro max, and while the price was the same, Costco offered a number of "rebates" depending on what I signed up for. In the end, the phones were no cost.

Gone are the days when you could easily get 20+ years out of an old CRT television. The panels have a great picture with a lot of features. Sadly, longevity is not built into them.
My in laws have a 20+ year old Sony crtv in the basement. Picture is terrible compared to modern stuff, but it's kind of nostalgic watching it. They're going to have to cut it in half to remove it when it does die.

My in laws have a 20+ year old Sony crtv in the basement. Picture is terrible compared to modern stuff, but it's kind of nostalgic watching it. They're going to have to cut it in half to remove it when it does die.
A lot of those older CRT’s are fetching a pretty good price on eBay. A 20” Sony Trinitron from 1998 recently sold for $575, lots of 13” CRT’s selling for $175+.

The 32in TV, I have in my bedroom is a cheap BestBuy (Insignia) TV my dad originally purchased in 2009, back then I think that TV was like $400, and that was a cheap generic TV then, now even the lower end name brand TVs with larger screens are cheaper than that not even factoring inflation, there's no margins left in them, they do everything to shave of BoM and manufacturing cost, they're designed for a price and I'm not even sure buying the higher end ones even gets you much of a better TV because the higher end ones are just there for them to make higher margins for marginally more expensive to produce TVs.

Quality of everything has.
I generally agree. Must really sniff around….but uh no guarantee

We have purchased 4 LG TVs in the last 15 years. Only selling two off because we moved. Never any issues….wait one of the remotes quit but they even make low cost knockoffs that seemingly work fine. Only gripe with LG is the interface is caveman 401

A lot of those older CRT’s are fetching a pretty good price on eBay. A 20” Sony Trinitron from 1998 recently sold for $575, lots of 13” CRT’s selling for $175+.
Wow. And to think these used to be freebie giveaways for years.

So I just got a text message that said the earliest appointment to come fix my TV is a week from now
I have a feeling the appointment will verify it doesn't work, then it will be replaced.....

back in 2007 my wife bought a Samsung flat screen for her aunt and uncle. It didn't work out of the box. Called Samsung and 2 weeks later 2 contractors showed up, and said there's nothing to repair we'll close out the call and you'll need to get a replacement.

Not really sure why we didn't do it right away. It was from amazon so we initiated an exchange. A week later a replacement was delivered and the same delivery folks took the old one.

We have a series 8 52" Samsung from 2009 that's used daily. Knock on wood it works fine at 14.5 years....

I've had good luck with roku/TCL tv's. Bedroom has a pioneer fire tv but may also be a tcl. My kitchen tv is an LG only reason I bought it was because its white in color and went with the decor. Its about 5 yrs old and still going strong.

I just purchased a TCL Roku tv from Walmart for $176 on sale for Black Friday. Excited to go pick it up. It was one of the highest rated budget TVs on the market. It’s 43 inches upgrading from my 32 inch non smart tv that is old as the hills lol. It was between the TCL, Vizio, Phillips or a refurbished Samsung that were in my price range. The TCL is the one all my tech geek friends said to get. I’ve never used them but read and heard nothing but good things. Might be worth the OP looking at ones today for Black Friday.

I just purchased a TCL Roku tv from Walmart for $176 on sale for Black Friday. Excited to go pick it up. It was one of the highest rated budget TVs on the market. It’s 43 inches upgrading from my 32 inch non smart tv that is old as the hills lol. It was between the TCL, Vizio, Phillips or a refurbished Samsung that were in my price range. The TCL is the one all my tech geek friends said to get. I’ve never used them but read and heard nothing but good things. Might be worth the OP looking at ones today for Black Friday.
You will be very happy with the TCL Roku TV.

I believe that's the same TV I picked up for my sons room a few months back.

They have become highly sought after for retro-gaming. I have a 27" CRT sitting in my back room that still works great.

I also have a 12 year old Panasonic plasma that I can't kill. I told my wife that once it dies we'll replace it with a nice new one but it just seems to keep ticking.

After hearing reports of new OLED TV's having trouble after a few years, I'm hoping the longevity increases before I purchase one.

Back