100K sparkplugs at 40K

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Trav
Quote:
I do not believe you will notice any difference when you put the new ones in.

No but your coils will thank you.

YES! That is the point I've made here on every "sparkplug thread". Spark plugs are cheaper than most coils and other ignition components.

Originally Posted By: yonyon
That picture makes it look pretty easy to get to those plugs. I think I'd be much more confident in changing those plugs out than trying to get the wackadoo oil dipstick back in its home. It's a very complex motion that requires practice, isn't it?

That oil dipstick is just DUMB. I can never get a good reading on the first try.

Driver side coilpacks look like CAKE minus the intake. Maybe i should do them soon.

Reviving an old thread. The pics appear to be gone - so I will repost them here, but there were weird deposits on them. On another board people were saying it was likely due to me driving the car too lightly. This video was from immediately before the plugs were pulled. I wanted to get an idea of plug condition after a minute of WOT. There was a good headwind which I figured would keep my speed down and load up. The CEL was for an Evap solenoid. I just changed the plugs again and they look exactly the same - this time ~30K.

cmMwiga

02M62Jm

I8zI3TH

This was obviously in controlled conditions. Please don't contribute to say that I am an idiot for exceeding 55mph.

Not really looking for any advice, just a follow up.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
...Also, NGK iridium have no precious metal on the ground electrode, leading to erosion.

Found a picture from friendly_jacek on the Prius forum (I'm not stalking you!).
here---> http://priuschat.com/threads/fuel-efficient-spark-plug.140852/

fwiw my Mercedes-Benz AMG OE 'laser iridium' NGK plugs (IFR6D-10) feature a "platinum disc welded to backside of ground electrode [to help] provide long life."
http://www.amazon.com/NGK-IFR6D10-Laser-Iridium-Spark/dp/B000GZETX8

IFR6D-10.jpg

photo credit friendly_jacek

Go back to the stock heat range and see how they look. Your pics look like the plugs might be too cold for your usage.

FWIW, NGK only rates the Iridium IX for 40-60k.

The Laser Iridium will last well over 100k and still look brand new when taken out after such a long time.

There are many pics over the net showing Laser Iridiums with over 100k, and sometimes approaching 200k, that look almost brand new.

I may put in laser iridiums, but stay with the one colder heat range. This car has always pinged pretty badly, slightly less so on the colder plugs.

I don't mind changing them, it is very easy. I want max performance over longevity.

My spark plugs on ford focus with 112k miles looked better than yours.
The electrode was worn a bit more but there was no soot/buildup.
Isnt there some federal mandatory 100k warranty on "emissions" parts?
Probably why they slap 100k label on spark plugs.

Originally Posted By: Rust_Belt_Pete
My spark plugs on ford focus with 112k miles looked better than yours.
The electrode was worn a bit more but there was no soot/buildup.
Isnt there some federal mandatory 100k warranty on "emissions" parts?
Probably why they slap 100k label on spark plugs.

Like others mentioned OP has 50k plugs and not 100k plugs.

To me it also looks like the problem is the car and not the plugs.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
FWIW, NGK only rates the Iridium IX for 40-60k.

Does the same hold true for the NON 'TT'<- (the ones with the platinum{?} ground electrode 'pins') Denso Iridiums??

Originally Posted By: dailydriver

Does the same hold true for the NON 'TT'div>

Denso Iridium Power (long part number tarting with I, like IK20) is like NGK's Iridium IX, with about the same life 40-60k. Both of these have the idirum center electrode with the non-platinum ground.

Denso Iridium Long Life (long part number starting with S, such as SK20R11) are like NGK's Laser Platinum, and should also last over 100k. These have the iridium center and platinum ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back