When To Change Stock Spark Plugs ?

I believe Mercedes Benz recommends spark plugs replacement every 30K miles. I replace mine every 50K no issues!

My '08 Accent came with the old style nickel plugs and 30k change intervals. It's been on the indiums since then and change about ever 75k miles.

Pull one and look.

Iridium plugs can last a long time. However as they age they require more current to jump their gap, which is definately harder on the coils. The coils then run hotter.

How hard is it to change them? I have gone 105K on my Nissan's which is the spec, but the last ones I did - I did early and they were more fouled than they ever have been in the past - meaning maybe my older engine is now not burning as clean or maybe the coils are getting weak, so my truck I will be doing at about 70K or so.

Reactions: FZ1
Changed the factory plugs in our 2017 2.3 EcoBoost Explorer at 60,000 miles. We keep our vehicles to 200,000 + miles so I didn't want to have to deal with having plugs stuck in the aluminum head. I used Motorcraft replacement plugs. As it was the removal of the plugs were creaky and tight. I used anti-seize and reduced the torque by 15% with the replacement plugs.

Pull one and look.

Iridium plugs can last a long time. However as they age they require more current to jump their gap, which is definately harder on the coils. The coils then run hotter.

How hard is it to change them? I have gone 105K on my Nissan's which is the spec, but the last ones I did - I did early and they were more fouled than they ever have been in the past - meaning maybe my older engine is now not burning as clean or maybe the coils are getting weak, so my truck I will be doing at about 70K or so.
I undergap my plugs by .005.

the 2017 Hyundai Sonata spark plugs are original stock when new - despite age , the Hyundai just turned 50K miles and I only use top tier fuel , gets a bottle of Techron twice per year and I keep the PCV valve clean . Driving is mixed , mostly large city suburban driving and some highway driving and work is a 40 minute drive one way . Fairly typical driving pattern . Supposedly , stock iridium spark plugs can go 100K miles but I am thinking at 60K + miles and 7 years I may wish to change early . My concern is if I wait too long there may be a negative impact to the coils (which are more costly to replace) .... Your thoughts and experiences if replacing spark plugs a little earlier is better than waiting the full 100K mile mark ?
Just change them and move on with life. The 2.4 is so easy to change them. It will probably take 15 minutes. I just changed them on my dads Kia Sportage.

What does the Hyundai maintenance manual say for the interval? Have you checked?

I like to change plugs right around 75000 miles. I’m concerned more about corrosion and getting stuck in the heads. I bought a used Ford edge with 95000 miles on it and replaced the plugs. I did notice a performance increase so I changed them in my F150. This was at 75000mi. I torqued both sets because they are tapered seats in aluminum heads. They did look decent. I did have about .002 in of wear on a couple plugs based on measurements on new vs old.

I did the plugs in my wife's jeep @ 120,000 Km. Factory interval is 160,000 km but i figured they are cheap enough that it is probably good to change them before they NEED to be changed.

The old ones weren't in terrible shape, but they did look like they had 120,000 km put on them...cheap peace of mind as far as i'm concenred.

I changed the plugs in my truck today just because of this post lol 70000 kms
IMG_0275.jpeg

I had a 2012 Ford Fusion and also changed spark plugs at about 75000 mi. These plugs have nickel alloy center electrodes and also only showed minimal wear for their age. I was surprised that they weren’t iridium or platinum and a lot less injurious to my bank account.

I recently changed the plugs on my daughters 2013 Fiat 500 at 98k miles. It has the 1.4 naturally aspirated engine. I'm honestly surprised at how well the engine ran after looking at the plugs. They were uniform in the gap but it looked like it had doubled in size.
I put new NGK double iridium plugs and coil boots. I bet these will go at least 100k miles. I will still pull and check every 30k miles as recommended in the owners manual.
My trucks have a Ruthenium option and after installing them both trucks are running well.

Just did my '16 3.6 Equinox at 99k miles. Plugs could have gone easily to 150k miles.
My old jobs fleet of 4.3 Express vans would go to 180k before cold weather morning startup misfires would start to appear. After engines warmed up misfires would stop but the CEL on would trigger maintenance.
Fleet did no preventative maintenance other than engine oil changes, only fix when needed including trans. maintenance, run it 'till it blows. Typical Corp. pennywise and dollar foolish.

I changed the plugs on my sons 20?? 4 cyl Malibu at 125k miles. They looked good as can be. He had a coil go out and caused misfiring though afterward. Waited too long and clogged the cat. Finally when he couldn't drive over 30 mph we changed the cat.

Back