eBay filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found Fram ULTRA filters on Ebay. A case lot of 6 for $44 and free shipping and no sales tax I think, which is a good price considering Walmart sells them for $8.99 each. I have never bought anything on Ebay before and wonder what others experience is? Thank you.. Ed

I bought a case of Ultras from ebay for my Explorer and they are perfect in every way. On ebay, it is important to review the rating of the seller and the terms they may have. Using these guidelines, I have never been duped on ebay in the 15 years that I have been using it.

No warranty unless it is sold by a authorized seller. Otherwise you are the second owner, no warranty. I went through this with some Brown and Sharpe tools from a major tool dealer. They were nice and sent me a replacement but said just what I said. Tools were new but were bought at a surplus auction then resold to me.

I purchased all my Fram Ultra filters on Ebay, all came in boxes with the seal intact. I opened and checked each one...no dents, rattles, etc. I have no concerns as I purchased them from a highly rated seller.

Nothing inherently wrong with eBay filters.

You can get Fram Ultra at great prices, as well as the jobber version Fram Pro Synthetic (replace XG with FPS in the part number, like FPS3614)

FWIW - if you have an Advance Auto - order 5 Fram Ultra's (assuming the pricing is like my car, which is $10.19/filter). Use QK20, saves $20 off $50. Add tax and use a click through site like BeFrugal or FatWallet, should save you a little bit more a filter.

I buy on ebay all the time, and enjoy the bargains. I started in early 1997, but there are plenty of bad sellers, counterfeit, old stock, stolen stock, hidden defects, and my worst case was getting a rock in a box with tracking to "prove" I received the item. The guy did a lot of rock sending and disappeared with thousands of $$. I think ebay actually has to eat those losses with the buyer protection now. So you may have done just fine, but it is a place to be careful.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
What need is there for a manufacturer's warranty on an $8 consumable item?

A warranty for manufacturer defect.

I recently purchased 4 Fram Ultra filters at Pep Boy's ebay store for $6.17 each....added 10 oil drain plug crush washers from another ebay vendor for $4.95.....all with free shipping....received everything in a timely manner without incident!!!

Ebay is great. I just bought some NOS made in japan Toyota Filters for my LX450, and they were in perfect condition, even though they were over 15 years old.

As others have said, always make sure to review the feedback ratings before you bid/buy-it-now. but even if you come across a "bad" seller, Ebay is usually very good and stepping in and rectifying any issues.

here are the filters I just bought, and they were in perfect condition. Planning on using one of them for next OCI in the LX450:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191679133293?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

It's 8 bucks so who cares? Unless it had holes in it where there weren't supposed to be any, I doubt any defect would be noticed before you installed it anyway.

And why would the fact that it was purchased on eBay affect the warranty? Lots of new products are sold on eBay's storefronts.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Nothing inherently wrong with eBay filters.

You can get Fram Ultra at great prices, as well as the jobber version Fram Pro Synthetic (replace XG with FPS in the part number, like FPS3614)

So the Fram Pro FPS jobber is the same as the XG? Just making sure because I can find those at better prices.

It's 8 bucks so who cares? Unless it had holes in it where there weren't supposed to be any, I doubt any defect would be noticed before you installed it anyway.

And why would the fact that it was purchased on eBay affect the warranty? Lots of new products are sold on eBay's storefronts.

Reread the 5th post in this thread.

Reread the 5th post in this thread.

"No warranty unless it is sold by a authorized seller."

Says who, one tools manufacturer? I really doubt Purolator or Fram would ask for a receipt to replace a cheap item like an oil filter if it had a genuine, obvious problem. But whatever.

After seeing a few people here get burned by not keeping their receipts, that was enough for me to start taking it a bit more seriously. To each his own though of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back