Fram Ultra Guard vs Purolator Synthetic VS Mobil1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay guys, I'd like to hear your technical thoughts on the merits of these three filters. Forget the price differences and other filters not named. Two of these claim 15,000 mile capability, and one is limited to 10,000 miles. That's not relevant to me, but it must say something about the filter media. One says 100% synthetic fiber media, another says synthetic media blend. I'm not sure if the Fram shares the same cheap paper end caps of its less expensive brothers. Recently posted pictures of a cut open Purolator looked awfully good, yet it carries the lowest mileage recommendation. So what are your objective thoughts on this?

My thoughts are that Fram Ultra and Mobil 1 are the best and Purolator follows. My reasoning is because the Purolator is rated for less miles and because it's parent company makes filters that TEAR so I don't trust any of their products.

I'd use either of the other 2 for 15K in a clean engine.

The Fram Ultra is hands down the best here. Dual layer fully synthetic media with a metal crimped seam and endcaps. I would choose Ultra / Mobil / Puro in that order.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Never seen a Puro Synthetic torn yet-the media makes it #2. Ultra, Puro Syn, then M1.
01.gif

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Intended use would be helpful and the Ultra has metal end caps.

Intended use includes 2005 and 2010 Honda Civics with 5000-10,000 mile OCI. At present neither vehicle sees over 15,000 miles per year.

For what it is worth I have two Purolator PureOne, on Fram XG, and one Mobil1 on hand for these vehicles. My thoughts are to use the PureOnes for "flush filters" when the next two oil changes come due.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Never seen a Puro Synthetic torn yet-the media makes it #2. Ultra, Puro Syn, then M1.

Okay, but why?

Wix XP/Napa Platinum deserves to be included. On sale this month for $8.99 at Napa. The Fram Ultra uses metal end caps.

However, the Purolator Synthetic often goes on sale at Kmart, making it a great deal.

For the Hondas, any of the above will work well. Remember, the OEM filter you'd buy at the Honda dealer is a cardboard Fram. Similar to the TG. The P1 you already have is at least as good as it.

The difference between a 10k and 15k filter is moot unless you're actually doing a 15k OCI. The Purolator Synthetic doesn't tear because it's a different design and more robust than the P1 and Classic. The D+ doesn't tear, either.

But because of availability, and the fact that you already use M1 oil, and many M1 oil change deals include the M1 filter, then just use that
smile.gif

For your Volvo, just use the Mann HU 819x, unless you're getting M1 at AAP that includes the M1 filter. The other option is PP and Fram Ultra, at Walmart, but only when buying online (you can do site-to-store).

The Fram Ultra has stated before has metal end caps, wire backed media that is Synthetic, efficiency is 99% greater than 20 microns, and silicon anti drain back valve. Just a very stout filter across the board. The Purolator Synthetic oil filter has synthetic media, efficiency of 99% greater than 25 microns, silicon anti drain back valve. The Mobil 1 filter has synthetic and cellulose mixed media blend that I believe is 98% (maybe more I'm not 100%) plus efficiency and silicon anti drain back valve. I agreed with bull winkles assessment because it was very well thought out. Makes sense to me.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
The Fram Ultra has stated before has metal end caps, wire backed media that is Synthetic, efficiency is 99% greater than 20 microns, and silicon anti drain back valve. Just a very stout filter across the board.

Good gosh man, you should put one next to your pillow tonight. Whisper sweet nothings into the center tube.
grin2.gif

You are AWESOME !!
smile.gif

Nah I also have a Purolator Synthetic filter to go on my Altima too. So I'm having an affair I guess.

Why go through these futile exercises.

Go buy an oil filter and install it at your next OCI.

There are no material differences between the choices here.

They are all good filters. You wouldn't be disappointed in any of them.

But if price is no objective I would encourage you to look into RP oil filters. I would consider Them top of the mark in the filter category. You get the same filtration, synthetic media, and that thing is built like a tank.

Visiting the three vendors websites yields the following information:

Efficiency is 99% @ 20 microns for Fram Ultra, 99% @25 microns for Purolator Synthetic, and no data provided on Mobil1.

Fram Ultra and Purolator Synthetic mention wire backed media, no data provided on Mobil1.

Fram Ultra says "dual layer synthetic media," Purolator Synthetic says "100% synthetic," and Mobil1 says "use synthetic fibers."

Is it just me, or is the lack of useful data on the Mobil1 site a bit disturbing?

Maybe, but I would gather that Mobil's interest in filter sales is brand loyalty with the Mobil 1 name. Although it's a little more complex these days, Fram is, basically, a filter maker. So is Purolator. Mobil gets someone to make a filter and slap a Mobil 1 name on it.

They're not looking at being the next Mann+Hummel or Wix. And the premium price they charge doesn't help, either. For the same reason, why does someone seek a QS or Pennzoil filter, when all they really are getting is a Purolator Classic with a different paint job?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back