Dog Bite

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Thanks to the 2 previous posters for your reasoned, thoughtful replies. Your pit bull stories are undoubtedly similar to countless thousands of others that we'll never hear a word about. Unfortunately, it seems some small number of these perfect pets has some type of trigger experience happen and a tragedy of varying levels of injury or even death occurs. I'll bet the owner's trust and feelings about their dog is identical to yours. So what to do?

My mother has a mini-dachshund that she has completely ruined, it's extremely over protective and has bitten people including me. Hateful dog. Thing is, at it's worst it can inflict a few puncture wounds.

We currently have 2 dogs, 1 50 lb rescue dog of unknown but hound-ish origin who would only bite if cornered after a full retreat, and an Australian Cattle Dog who is the best dog I've ever had. Runs, mountain bikes with me, loyal companion, crazy smart. Problem is he's dog aggressive so I have to be careful with him at all times in public. His brother was raised very similarly and is not at all. Both would defend their owners. Knowing the breed and how he is I'm vigilant when I have him out.

Well, here's the thing: 1) there's a lot of misinformation floating around what triggers a lot of these tragedies, and 2) there's often a lot of incomplete information regarding the dog's actual behavior.

I don't claim to be an "expert", but I've had several dogs in my house over the last 20 years. I've fostered a few "end of life" dogs, mostly ridgeback rescues, and I often dog sit for folks since I'm semi-retired and "work" from home. So, I'm pretty familiar with dog behavior. Also, I've owned a dog who was aggressive to (some)humans, which was a real learning experience for me. My own opinion: dogs very rarely "snap". I'm sure it happens, but if you drill down to specific incidents, it's actually quite rare.

In the OP's story, we know the dog bit a person while guarding property. That's some really unsound behavior, but it's really unlikely it was first time the dog exhibited the behavior (even if it's the first time he'd bitten someone). More likely, the owner ignored quite a few signs--some subtle, some maybe non-so-sublte. My own dog was find 95% of the time, but there were plenty of early warning signs that he was potentially aggressive. I went to a professional dog trainer, spent a ton of time with him and became aware that a) there was a problem, and b) got some tools to deal with it. Not saying the guy in the OP was a bad guy or anything, but I'm willing to bet that he missed quite a few pretty obvious signs regarding his dog's temperament.

Secondly, at least as it related to dog fatalities, the overwhelming factor (over 95%) is the reproductive status of the dog. If you have a pitbull, have it spayed or neutered, period. The next factor is how the dogs are kept. Dogs (of any breed) that are left tethered for an extended period of time and treated poorly are much more likely to be aggressive. Sadly, pitbulls are subjected to both of those conditions at a disproportionate rate, so the statistics paint them as inherently dangerous. Take an un-neutered lab, tie him to a tree and throw out some scraps occasionally--then have a small child wander into the yard. My guess is that this won't end well.

Again, I'm not saying that dogs always act reliably. They're all part wolf after all. But true incidents of a dog "snapping" are pretty rare, and it's more likely to happen with a dog that tends to exhibit pretty strong guardian tendencies.

One last thing I'll mention, that was mentioned to me by the shelter worker when I adopted mine 10 years ago: if you're adopting a pit bull from a large city animal shelter, your chances of getting a sound of sound temperament are about as good as you can get. Simple reason is 95% of them get put down, since they're hard to adopt. I needed a dog that was good around cats, so I asked to have him temperament tested with the cats at the shelter. This particular shelter told me it was a non-issue. Due to space limitations at the shelter, if a pitbull exhibited any aggression towards cats it had to be euthanized... There was a MUCH higher bar the pitbulls in the shelter had to meet--and given the strength and genetics of the dog I'm not saying that's a bad thing. That's the reality though, and the limitations of a shelter dealing with more animals than it can handle.

These poor dogs only get this reputation because they do more damage. Many dog bites from random other breeds aren't even reported.

Honestly from the vet stories my girlfriend tells me, pit bulls are the least of their worries when they come in for visits.

The first dog to ever bite her was a pug. Lol.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
These poor dogs only get this reputation because they do more damage.

Exactly. It's because they're capable of inflicting major injury or death. Poor dogs?

Many dog bites from random other breeds aren't even reported.

So what? Dog bites that require ER care get recorded. That a Pomeranian bite isn't recorded has nothing to do with Pit Bulls.

The OP is familiar with the owner, the dog, the victim, and the circumstances. He's presented this factually and without drama. His personal view about the breed has changed. If that doesn't carry any weight with someone reading this then their mind must be closed. Defenders cite 100 things that owners do wrong with these dogs but the bottom line is when one bites, defends, attacks, or mauls someone or something is getting hurt badly or worse. Is there a solution?

Originally Posted By: opus1
I've been bitten twice by dogs that "never bit anyone before" and I did nothing to provoke either one. Unless breathing counts.
grin.gif

All dogs are suspect to me until they prove otherwise.

Exactly, notice how many people here that own dogs are constantly focusing on the the dog and NOT the other people around them that can be threatened !?!?!

The bottom line is that these dog owners MUST FIRST consider the safety and well being of other human beings that are potentially in harms way if their dog has any chance of being at large.

Again, owners should enjoy THEIR DOGS but
MUST CONTROL THEM AT ALL TIMES, so there is NO chance that people can be threatened, attacked, injured, or killed by them, it is
YOUR RESPONSIBILITY 100% OF THE TIME.

It is NOT my responsibility or concern to watch out for YOUR unruly, threatening and potentially dangerous animal.

Exactly. It's because they're capable of inflicting major injury or death. Poor dogs?

So what? Dog bites that require ER care get recorded. That a Pomeranian bite isn't recorded has nothing to do with Pit Bulls.

The OP is familiar with the owner, the dog, the victim, and the circumstances. He's presented this factually and without drama. His personal view about the breed has changed. If that doesn't carry any weight with someone reading this then their mind must be closed. Defenders cite 100 things that owners do wrong with these dogs but the bottom line is when one bites, defends, attacks, or mauls someone or something is getting hurt badly or worse. Is there a solution?

Sure, the solution is to manage your dog--regardless of breed. Again,you're completely hung up on the breed. A 50 pound cattle dog is going to bite with the same force as a 50 lbs pitbull, assuming their heads are the same size. And yes, cattle dogs have done serious damage to humans, just like labs and other large breed dogs.

Pitbulls are more likely to dominate the statics because they're more likely to be handled irresponsibly. Take a cattle dog (no picking on your dog--this relates to almost any dog) and treat them a certain way and they'll be unreliable around humans. People keep bringing up human behavior because generally, humans are the problem...

I worked for a small animal vet when I was in college.

My experience was that the smaller dogs were more likely to take a snap at me, but, for obvious reasons, the bigger the mouth on the dog, the more you had to be concerned about.

All dogs can just snap, and become a vicious, biting, menace to anything around them.

Lots of people love Pit Bulls. My wife is one of them, and thinks the quality of the nurture determines the outcome of the animal. The genetics are well established and are what they are, for Pits, and many other breeds. What may, or will, set them off is completely unpredictable. Many are good dogs, but some aren't. I would never trust one. I am on a heightened state of alert whenever I am around one, or several other breeds.

All that said, the worst bite I ever got was one of the Manchester Terrier / Chihuahua (sp?) cross breeds that got hold of my thumb and held on like a snapper.

That a Pomeranian bite isn't recorded has nothing to do with Pit Bulls.

And yet, the infection risk with potentially lethal outcome is there, whether a pom nips your pinkie or a rottie takes your hand off. I suppose any dog bite warrants at least cleaning and dressing of the wound, a tetanus shot and prophylactic antibiotics. Just hope rabies aren't part of the equation.

It seems that many owners of these "dangerous" breeds have an absolute conviction that THEIR dog would not/will not/could not ever bite someone. There's been some evidence of that in this thread. Might this conviction be necessary to convince oneself that it's OK to have the dog? Might that lead to less than a responsible level of vigilance? Just making observations.

The cry is it's all the owner's fault. Yes, ultimately it is. Probably 99% of all dog owners aren't equipped to train their dog well and properly. And in probably 99.99% of dog bites there's some first aid, some hard feelings, maybe an ER visit. But that .01% (or whatever) when the Pit or Rottie goes postal and the owner, like the subject of this thread, didn't see it coming, and someone is gravely injured - somehow that has to be addressed.

Gotta give this owner credit, he apparently dealt with the situation quickly and decisively. Hard thing to do. I'd do the same but it would break my heart.

I currently have two large "pitbulls". I've had numerous Mastiffs including 200lb english mastiffs, Cane Corso, Neo mastiff, bull mastiff, and a Rottie.

All were/are wonderful dogs. All rescue dogs with unknown past.

My pitbulls are family.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BRZED
Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Originally Posted By: barkingspider
Its not the arrow, its the indian.

Dot or feather?

Brave. You must not have an important job and/or an untraceable user name...

That's what I get for an attempt at humor.

There are a lot of things I find funny that aren't exactly appropriate, but I try not to document anything incriminating on the interwebs.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

The breed is descended from the original bull-baiting dog, a dog bred to bite and hold bulls and other large animals around the face and head. After baiting was outlawed, the dogs were crossed with terriers to produce a quicker and more agile dog-designed to fight other dogs. That level of breeding and instinct isn't bred out of an animal very easily.

OT:
Im not a dog person, so I never read up on them. I looked into this. Terrible what us humans can do for "entertainment"...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bull-baiting

Originally Posted By: JOD

That's a great question. I can't speak for all pitbull owners, so I'll answer for myself, and give you the long answer:

I grew up afraid of dogs-was bitten by a German Shepard as a kid and didn't get over it for some time... In my 20's, a giant dog (Newfoundland mix) started following me. He was the size of a small horse. After I realize he wasn't going to kill me, I ended up walking him home. I ended up getting used to having a dog around after that, and I've had dogs ever since.

My first dog that was mine (owner ended up finally claiming the Newfie)

And this is why I have my Newfie. I grew up around them and while they were protective against other animals none of them (and we owned five) ever hurt a person. Generally if there was somebody suspicious the size and bark of the dog was enough to get them to get their arses out of there.

Otherwise, they are lazy, don't need to be walked much and are just as happy to be flaking around the house glued to you (in close proximity... at all times). Mine is currently beached behind my chair as I write this.

Yes they are big, they shed like nobody's business, they have a "funk" if you don't wash them regularly and they drool. They also eat a lot. And poop a lot. But they also have a reputation that's in stark contrast to what's being discussed in this thread and I believe genetics certainly have a role in that.

I've seen nasty Golden's (our neighbour on the island has one), nasty Huskies, nasty Poodles, nasty Rotties, nasty Mastiffs and nasty little dogs of a variety of breeds. I have never however, seen a nasty Newfie. I'm sure somebody has, but that person isn't me.

Thanks to this thread I have decided to pull Cujo out of the bookshelf tonight.

I'd like to ask pit bull owners and defenders, with all respect, what is it about owning a dog that has the capacity to seriously injure or kill a person? With the history and statistics of this breed, (and to a lesser degree Rotties), what is the attraction? Protection? Image? Superiority? What's wrong with Beagles or Labs or Corgis or Greyhounds or Blue Ticks? Looking for honest answers. Why a pit bull?

The analogy of a pit bull and a gun is ludicrous. If the OP's neighbor with the chain saw had an AR-15 lying on the ground beside him or on a sling on his back he could have handed that chainsaw to the lady 1000 times and that rifle would not have pointed itself at her and gone off. So weak. If that's you argument you ain't got much.

I was raised around American Pit Bull Terriers, My dad usually had 2-3 at all times, Guess I just picked up the habit, Knowing how to train them, & having them Neutered/Spayed goes along way.

I cant defend them as a whole or the Breed itself, My dogs have never hurt anyone...And with the exception of a few Opossums & Chickens...Never harmed another animal. It's sad they are made "Popular" by Thugs/Gang Bangers/Rappers/White Trash/Crazy Militants & the like, People that get them for symbols of who they want to emulate probably shouldn't have Dogs...Much less a Pit Bull.

It's a TON of work, patience, & money to responsibly take care of a Pit Bull. Proper Fencing, Kennel, Teething, Training, Boundaries, Exercise, Interaction, Food, Vet visits, & Oral health are not something most people are going to do, You cannot chain them to a post in the backyard or leave them in a apartment/house all the time. Their energy/endurance level is very high....Pent up energy/isolation/procreating instincts can turn into sudden aggression!

This is my 6 year old Female Pit.

You insinuate that I accused OP of twisting the truth and causing drama? Did you see where I quoted his first post? That is because I didn't buddy. Also, at the end of your post, you also insinuated I have a closed mind because I dont blame the breed. I dont know if you knew this or not, but people have been bitten by other breeds besides pits.

You arent even worth having a discussion with.

*I cant believe what I just read in one of your quoted posts. You asked what was wrong with having other dogs and listed beagles or hounds? These dogs are bred to kill. They are hunting dogs. So much hypocrisy it isnt even funny. My recent comment to you still stands.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GiveMeAVowel
Thanks to this thread I have decided to pull Cujo out of the bookshelf tonight.

Hahaaaa. Good one.
crackmeup2.gif
45.gif
35.gif

Lesson in that movie is to make sure you get your Pinto tuned up on a regular basis!

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Lesson in that movie is to make sure you get your Pinto tuned up on a regular basis!

Obligatory Pinto comment.

dja4260,

I get nervous just looking at the size of your pit bull. I'm sure they are nice around your family but cautious around strangers in the neighborhood.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back