Help! Dealer flushed my engine with ATF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All, 2011 Silverado 5.3 gas engine, Chevy dealer somehow filled my crankcase with ATF. The truck was driven about 60 miles before I noticed slightly low oil pressure and checked it. Upon finding it to be Red, and the requisite change of drawers, I had the dealer send a flat-bed, do 2x motor oil change. Now I am wondering what damage was/is being done and what should I do about it? Truck is under warranty until Mid October. People are telling me I should demand an engine, but it seems fine. No Power loss, smoke or oil pressure issues. Motor has 61K on it. I just wish someone could tell me if this will damage the engine. Any help would be appreciated! I have pictures of the clean red oil dipstick and the dirty red transmission dipstick.

Most likely nothing serious happened in such short timeframe. Ask them to extend your engine warranty up to 120K miles, regardless of time.

to be completely honest I don't care if it didn't do a thing, if that happened to me I would be causing a sh*tstorm if they didn't replace the engine. That's just me though.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Most likely nothing serious happened in such short timeframe. Ask them to extend your engine warranty up to 120K miles, regardless of time.

+1 probably cleaned the engine more than the oil would lol. I would contact them in terms of upping the warranty all things considered.

Their mess up, their responsibility, big time!!

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
File a case with GM corporate and DEMAND an extended warranty, free of charge.

This at the VERY least. But you have a great reason for a new engine.

Turn it around when you talk to them: would they honor the warranty if you did the same thing? I don't think they would...so more of an argument in your favor.

What a bonehead move by the technician! (Guess they shouldn't have smoked it up so much last night)

Last edited:
Didn't people used to swear by doing this to clean engines? Personally I'd be livid, but I very much doubt it did anything to the engine. I would insist on the extended warranty to be safe as mentioned.

You wonder HOW this could have happened? Engine oil and transmission fluid are in completely different bottles.

People think the dealer is God wen it comes to service. Goes to show that even dealers have untrained monkeys NOT SAE mechanics do oil changes.

As far as if engine damage resulted, I highly doubt it, but I would still raise [censored] with GM and DEMAND and extended powertrain warranty.

I would say get the dealer to give you some free stuff (oil, tranny, etc.), but does the OP want them touching his vehicle ever again.

Why was your truck at the dealership to start with? I wonder how many other vehicles suffered the same fate but the owners aren't aware? I'd be all over them like a cheap suit!

Originally Posted By: Bgallagher
+1 probably cleaned the engine more than the oil would lol.

I doubt it, considering that a typical ATF has a much weaker add pack compared to engine oil.

As others have said, it is very unlikely that any major damage was done. I'd get the extended warranty at a minimum, and also check the oil pressure and compression.

I doubt it did any damage, BUT, If it were your truck, would you just let it go? I suppose it depends on whose ox is gored!

+1 more for it not being a big deal. ATF is pretty much 5W-20 oil with a different additive pack. I highly doubt any damage was done in only 60 miles. The front pump in an automatic transmission is very similar to a gerotor oil pump in the engine.

I do agree that you should open a case with GM so they are aware that it happened, in case of any lubrication-related issues down the road.

yep.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
File a case with GM corporate and DEMAND an extended warranty, free of charge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back