Help! Dealer flushed my engine with ATF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since they probably used DexronVI it would be similar in viscosity to the very light range of 0w16 bordering on 0w12. The minimum viscosity of SAE 16 is 6.1 cSt @100ºC, right around what DexronVI is.

I too would ask for an extended warranty at least on the engine

Originally Posted By: JR
Bruno my understanding is atf is 60+%detergents and a light 0w20.

-harvey

ATF has much less detergents than modern API SN oils, plus they lack the high zddp anti wear levels also.

Wow, I'd expect something like that to happen at Jiffy Lube but not the dealer. Anything is possible, though.

Originally Posted By: AntDeek
I wouldnt want the same tech replacing the engine...

ASE Certified Mechanics at dealerships are not doing oil changes, it was some untrained lube tech monkey.

Originally Posted By: mclasser
Wow, I'd expect something like that to happen at Jiffy Lube but not the dealer. Anything is possible, though.

Hence the dealer is NOT God when it comes to a vehicle.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
That's the "NEW" GM.

I don't think ONE dealership hiring some grease monkey is a reflection on the entire corporation. I gather other car makers dealerships are incapable of hiring a moron to change oil?

Originally Posted By: stchman
You wonder HOW this could have happened? Engine oil and transmission fluid are in completely different bottles.

They don't usually use bottles they have bulk tanks of oil and transmission fluid and a hose leads into the shop with dispenser
nozzles at most bays, you select which fluid you want on the nozzle and set the amount you want. The tech was obviously not paying attention to what he was doing and screwed up.

I would ask the dealer for a GM factory extended warranty for the maximum mileage and years, and have it documented in their RO system internally and give you a copy of what they did.

Last edited:
I'd ask for an extended warranty & have them remove both valve covers, do a compression test, & take a look at the top end too see if there's any visible signs of damage. If no damage, your seals may start leaking like the rear main

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
That is amazing. The engine made it 60 miles on transmission fluid. I didn't think that was possible.

Totally possible. 60 miles isn't that much.

... now if it had been used to tow something very heavy up a steep grade - that would be a little different outcome.

Originally Posted By: Luisraul924
to be completely honest I don't care if it didn't do a thing, if that happened to me I would be causing a sh*tstorm if they didn't replace the engine. That's just me though.

Yea-and you wouldn't get one. An extended warranty probably.

This thread will go on with the "Dealer Haters".

Last edited:
An extended warranty isn't going to cover damage from improper lubricants!

This whole story is a bit out there.

Originally Posted By: dishdude

Thank you. I mean, how does that happen? How do you grab the wrong bottles, assuming their oil even comes in bottles?

Originally Posted By: GiveMeAVowel
Originally Posted By: stchman
You wonder HOW this could have happened? Engine oil and transmission fluid are in completely different bottles.

They don't usually use bottles they have bulk tanks of oil and transmission fluid and a hose leads into the shop with dispenser
nozzles at most bays, you select which fluid you want on the nozzle and set the amount you want. The tech was obviously not paying attention to what he was doing and screwed up.

I would ask the dealer for a GM factory extended warranty for the maximum mileage and years, and have it documented in their RO system internally and give you a copy of what they did.

+1!
Gm Corporate is not responsible, this is on the dealership.
About the best you can hope for is the local dealer management takes responsibility.
An extended warranty may be the best option, with the understanding if the engine takes a [censored], the dealer will cover any deductibles and rental car if needed.

Consider small claims court if the dealership won't cooperate. Don't know the dollar amount limit for small claims in your neck of the woods. But most of the them come around to save face, and offer a settlement out of court before the court date.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: dishdude

Thank you. I mean, how does that happen? How do you grab the wrong bottles, assuming their oil even comes in bottles?

No bottles here for most oil changes. Oil is stored in bulk tanks. Either the tech pumped from the wrong tank, or the truck dropping off the oil put ATF in one of the 5w30 tanks. We have different styles of pumps here, some you put the fill hose directly in the engine where others pump into a container. If it was the gun type that goes in the engine, as a tech you never see the fluid. Although something should have looked weird when checking the fluid level after.

We have 0W20, 5W20, 5W30, 15W40 and Mercon V in bulk. 0W20 is in both Motorcraft blend and Castrol/Idemitsu full synthetic. 5W20 is both Motorcraft blend and full synthetic. 5W30 is blend. 15W40 is the Motorcraft oil. Everything else would be in bottles which are in the parts department.

Funny thing is, the truck was in for a Tranny fluid flush. I guess they somehow defeated the "mistake proofing" of the process. I'd like to thank everybody for their responses. I am negotating with the dealer on GM extended warranty and will follow up with a claim at GM. It was ALL ATF in the crankcase tho. And I figured out it was only 34 miles highway miles. I'm easy on the throttle or it hogs gas and it was mostly highway miles. Theres no smoke, clicking or tapping. Still tons of power, I think it's fine. But I am intrigued on learning more on the "Out there" theory of the damage. I guess that stuff got in nooks and crannies and fills spaces with it's inappropriate properties. We'll see how it does when I hook my Travel trailer to it on the 25th. Thanks for all your support!

Originally Posted By: jdavis
Should of just left it in and let the engine blow.

Thats what I told my wife! I should of hooked up my 4500lb camper and stomped it up over the mountain.
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back