Stock oil filter pictures?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend of mine just bought a brand new 2015 Toyota Tacome TRD 4x4. It isn't the top of the line model, but the one just below it. (I don't know much about the new Toyota trucks).

Does anyone know what OEM filter they use and does anyone have some pictures of them cut open?

We were talking about oil and filters the other day and I'm not familiar with Toyotas OEM and can't recall ever seeing a cut and post of one on here. Thanks for the help.

The Thailand made filters look like the picture below. However, the initial factory filter may or may not be different, back in the day they were a Japanese made Denso filter that had the funky foam element. Let us know what the COO is on your friend's filter if it is still the one from the factory.

If it's a cartridge filter then they pretty much look like the element in the picture, at least the ones I've seen on my friend's Highlander.

tacoma-standard-oem-oil-filter-explode-left.jpg

I assumed Toyota had a special "TRD" oil filter.

KSCHACHN: thanks for the pictures. That second filter is hideous. As soon as we do the first oil change I will cut it and post pictures.

Originally Posted By: jk_636
I assumed Toyota had a special "TRD" oil filter.

KSCHACHN: thanks for the pictures. That second filter is hideous. As soon as we do the first oil change I will cut it and post pictures.

Toyota does sell TRD filters, who makes them now I have no idea. I believe it used to be Champ. I never buy them, I buy the aftermarket Denso "First Time Fit" or OEM if the dealer gives me a good enough price.

Those foam filters still have a cult following but it's based on looks and nothing else. As you know Denso does not publish any performance specs. One might come to the conclusion that the factory foam filters are optimized for initial use, but that too is rank speculation
smile.gif

I have nine of those foam type left, just used one. I think I will sell them on ebay as I have so many others now. Thanks to free shipping if spend over a certain amount. Like the Thai ones, they are simple inside with design, and excellent in function. The element is one thing to look at, but the fit and finish and sealing of the parts against leaking is also important, maybe more important.

My yaris would ONLY run properly on the excellent foam denso and ran terribly on the thai denso = I mean clack-clank no power terrible. I suspect the thai has too much resin on the media and had poor flow or ?? during the change it lost "prime" but the poor lil engine ran like there was NO OIL to the top end or VVT. I couldn't rectify the engine death rattle and out of desperation I put the used OEM back on and the engine immediately ran proper upon startup. Then I installed another Thai denso from the case I bought at the dealer and the engine ran noisily and poor yet again! WT??
None of these issues should happen and its all still a mystery.

The ONLY other filter that ran consistently well was a non-ecore ACDELCO PF2057 (O.E. Champ labs)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: kschachn

Those foam filters still have a cult following but it's based on looks and nothing else. As you know Denso does not publish any performance specs. One might come to the conclusion that the factory foam filters are optimized for initial use, but that too is rank speculation
smile.gif

Not in my house; I've had MAJOR problems serviceig 2 toyotas - and that's the main reason I joined this forum years ago. I previously thought a filter was an "install and forget" item as long as it was of decent build quality and from a good name. Ho Way No more.
So let us question why is the lexus N.America service filter the proper, factory equipment Japan OEM Denso foam and garden Toyota gets 2 dollar thai denso?

Last edited:
I stopped using the OEM Toyota filters after finding out they aren't very efficient. Two sources, Amsoil efficiency bar graph (based on ISO 4548-12) and river_rat's bench testing comparisons. I also didn't like the fact that every single pleat end needs to be perfectly glued to ensure no dirty oil gets past the media. Maybe that's part of the reason for their low efficiency (?).

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
I stopped using the OEM Toyota filters after finding out they aren't very efficient. Two sources, Amsoil efficiency bar graph (based on ISO 4548-12) and river_rat's bench testing comparisons. I also didn't like the fact that every single pleat end needs to be perfectly glued to ensure no dirty oil gets past the media. Maybe that's part of the reason for their low efficiency (?).

I know it always comes down to this for you and Toyota/Denso/Honda filters, but somebody really needs to show whether that makes any difference. I've run them on my Toyotas and Honda (since day one on the Toyotas) and I'm still motoring along OK. I cannot bring myself to be concerned about their efficiency. For me, the idea that the the two car makers with the most reliable reputation would purposely sell an OEM-branded product that was detrimental to their brand is just something I am not capable of doing.

I mean it makes for a good long argument thread on BITOG and a lot of nice "I'm better than you" statistics and charts, but after that does it matter at all? I think not.

I know it always comes down to this for you and Toyota/Denso/Honda filters, but somebody really needs to show whether that makes any difference. I've run them on my Toyotas and Honda (since day one on the Toyotas) and I'm still motoring along OK. I cannot bring myself to be concerned about their efficiency. For me, the idea that the the two car makers with the most reliable reputation would purposely sell an OEM-branded product that was detrimental to their brand is just something I am not capable of doing.

I mean it makes for a good long argument thread on BITOG and a lot of nice "I'm better than you" statistics and charts, but after that does it matter at all? I think not.

I simply chose to use filters that are higher in efficiency ... my choice. Doesn't mean I want everyone else to do the same. Obviously, people can use what makes them happy for whatever reason. I'm just pointing out a fact that they are not as efficient as other filters on the market. If that doesn't matter to someone, then great ... if it does matter to someone, then great. It's info people can use to make a decision.

I simply chose to use filters that are higher in efficiency ... my choice. Doesn't mean I want everyone else to do the same. Obviously, people can use what makes them happy for whatever reason. I'm just pointing out a fact that they are not as efficient as other filters on the market. If that doesn't matter to someone, then great ... if it does matter to someone, then great. It's info people can use to make a decision.

The efficiency ratings (assuming they are provided and everyone can agree on the interpretation) are the easy part, right? I mean that's a test that has reproducible results and findings. I think the harder question is how much it matters and at what point.

There is nothing wrong with the OEM Thai oil filter. They are well built, have a lot of filter material and inexpensive. I do think that Denso"s own filter is made better as is uses end caps, has dual layer material and uses a silicone ADV.I like the torque stopper feature found on both filters.

If one more reliable test of the Toyota dealer filter was tested, I would believe the efficiency numbers. River rats was a gravity test, and I don't really trust amsoil to be perfectly open given their aggressive sales style. By now they may have changed the media so all of it is speculative at this point.
I used both the Thai one and the Japan one, not any difference in any way I could tell by feel, smell, or sight. The engine is the 2007 1.5 l Toyota. Actually never had a difference on any car with any filter and I started owning cars awhile back now. There are bypass valves and relief valves to protect the oil flow, unless you are racing it at the redline all day long I can't see it.
An upgraded from the Toyota Thai made is the Denso in the blue can, also Thai made. No data on anything about it wish they would. They can't get their picture on the box right though.

The efficiency ratings (assuming they are provided and everyone can agree on the interpretation) are the easy part, right? I mean that's a test that has reproducible results and findings. I think the harder question is how much it matters and at what point.

Yep, and that's when it boils down to personal choice on what they want to use based on what the person decides is important or not in a filter.

Yep, and that's when it boils down to personal choice on what they want to use based on what the person decides is important or not in a filter.

Well OK, but what if I don't want to make it a personal choice? I'd rather know if a 50% efficiency at 20 microns (or whatever) makes no statistical difference in engine longevity over a 99.9% one at the same particle size. I'm not qualified to answer that myself. All I know is that the 50% one will catch the particle but it may take more passes. In the end, either filter will trap the same particles, more or less. That's all I know.

I've never seen any data presented here though on what the different filters will or won't do to your engine.

Well OK, but what if I don't want to make it a personal choice? I'd rather know if a 50% efficiency at 20 microns (or whatever) makes no statistical difference in engine longevity over a 99.9% one at the same particle size. I'm not qualified to answer that myself. All I know is that the 50% one will catch the particle but it may take more passes. In the end, either filter will trap the same particles, more or less. That's all I know.

I've never seen any data presented here though on what the different filters will or won't do to your engine.

All I know is that less debris in the oil, and the more times it circulates in the engine before being trapped in the filter is probably not as good as less debris and less circulation of wear particles through the engine.

If it makes a real difference by the time the vehicle is sold or junked out is anyone's guess. But why not go for what seems better ... that's how I choose to go.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back