Best Flowing Filter For Extreme Cold Temps..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for opinions on a good readily available oil filter that flows very well in the minus 10 degree temps using 5w30 oil for service vehicles mostly ford 3.0 and 4.6.. I was thinking Motorcraft but i am open to ideas.. Motorcraft is made by purolater so im a little leery on using them for the very cold temps. I was also thinking of wix and possibly the ultra.
these vehicles will be in severe service with cold starts and a lot of running the engine while on the job sites.
Just looking for opinions the oil used will be pennzoil yellow bottle 5w30.. No synthetic oil will be used. and the oil will be in there for around 5 months and under 7500 miles

Any of the majors will be fine, all things being equal. That's what the bypass is for. If the oil is -40 C, I bet it's going to trigger the bypass, regardless of the filter media material.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Any of the majors will be fine, all things being equal. That's what the bypass is for. If the oil is -40 C, I bet it's going to trigger the bypass, regardless of the filter media material.

+1. So long as a little common sense prevails and prevents one from dropping grit into the crankcase in extreme cold weather, all is well. Use the bypass as designed, and avoid extreme high pressures and deltas in the media. No point.

I'm more interested in anti-drainback valve operation at those temperatures than flow. I buy filters with silicone ADBVs anyway, and I live in the temperate south. I'd absolutely be using a filter with a silicone ADBV at those temperatures.

The oil of choice will probably have more effect on flow than the filter. I'm betting that all 5w 30 oils at that temp will be in bypass, so the filter does not matter. I know you said no synthetics, but these conditions are what a 0w oil is designed for.

So the pyb is $16.00 at walmart. The mobil 1 0w 30 is $26. $10 difference. Rather than run the expensive ultra filter. Save $5 on the filter ( since you will go 7500 or less) and run the non ultra and chose the mobil 1 0w 30 for only $5 more.

Last edited:
As for 5w-30, I wouldn't worry much about that, either. I've used 5w-XX oils in my personal vehicles almost exclusively since I started driving, and we have a real winter here. Synthetics are a real option not to be discounted, as are synthetic type grades like 0w-30. But, they are not necessary.

Last 3 years up here we have had cold starts down to -35C(~-30F) with both Wix and Amsoil filters with no issues.

Last edited:
Answering the question, it's gotta a Napa Platinum. It's glass and has lower efficiency, so it's gotta be a Platinum.

^^^ LoL ... "flow" is his middle name.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
What a surprise. Another flow question from crazyoildude......
01.gif

Been answered 50 different ways...
18.gif

thanks for noticing nate you are correct my belief that flow is very important has sunk in... Very good. Anyway these vehicles are all high mileage vehicles that can not use synthetic.. They tried syn and all of them leaked so the owner is against synthetic and so am i for this application. These trucks will be in Canada where it gets really cold according to them so its important that they have good lubrication. all the trucks have well over 100,000 miles on them.

The maintenance manager has used motorcraft and does not like Wix for whatever reason. I mentioned the fram ultra assuring him its a good filter also although he is leery of fram also for the usual reasons he says.
So between the two which one will most here use?
ZeeOsix let me hear your opinion now that you claim to know my middle name..
He is actually more curious what you guys have to say. He insists that Motorcraft flows better but on the other hand it's a purolater!!

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude

ZeeOsix let me hear your opinion now that you claim to know my middle name..
He is actually more curious what you guys have to say. He insists that Motorcraft flows better but on the other hand it's a purolater!!

Since you won't be using full synthetic oil, then you should definitely use a full synthetic oil filter for the better flow during those cold start-ups.

I'd use either an Ultra or a Purolator PSL full synthetic. If you aren't too worried about efficiency, then use the WIX XP or NAPA Platinum.

My expedition has 141,000+ on the clock. I've used more synthetics than anything else. I have no intentions of going back to syn-blends at this time.

I haven't used a "conventional" since 1996. None of my vehicles in that time frame have ever had less than 100k on them.

Mileage is not a good reason not to use synthetics.
Just sayin.

If syns are out of play, then the filter really does not matter since it will be in bypass. for cold thick oil, i'd use an ultra or mobil 1 filter.

if you started with synthetic then stay with it if you logged 140,000 miles on conventional then i would stay with conventional...I havebeen in the engine business to long and have seen it all at least a thousand times.. Actually the trucks i am mentioning tried synthetic oil and the leaks and consumption went way up he is now using 5w30 high mileage in the summer and 5w30 conventional in the winter his trucks run very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back