New Blizzak for 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: edyvw

I have several cars in Europe, driving them in winter on Continetal TS850

One family member in Europe bought these for her Civic last year, based on my recommendation. Alas, their last winter was fairly mild, so I don't think she was able to fully appreciate the tires.

The Altimax Arctics on my 530i are getting old (hard). I will have to figure out soon what to replace them with... possibly I'll go with Arctics again unless there is something else out there that's reasonably priced at the time.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
While Altimax Arctic is a pretty decent winter tire, especially given its price, it's a fairly dated technology based on the old Gislaved Nordfrost 3, which Continental acquired in 1992.

In Europe, Conti has a winter tire called TS850 which has been getting pretty good reviews. I haven't seen it offered in the US yet.

Thanks, QP. It was the name "Gislaved Nordfrost 3" that I couldn't remember. It would be nice to see a greater range of Winter tires to choose from.
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
"Born in the USA." LOL!

When it comes to Altimax Arctic specifically, that couldn't be further from the truth.

Amusing, yes, but I think the ad copy was referring to General Tire, not that specific tire.

Originally Posted By: HangFire
Amusing, yes, but I think the ad copy was referring to General Tire, not that specific tire.

I know, but it just reeks of some smartypants marketing, playing on the whole "American product" theme, where in reality the tire was designed in Europe and most of the sizes are made in Europe.

Strange approach since it's a European website targeting European customers.

Anyway, sorry about OT...

I drive one car on Blizzak LM-60 and one on WS-70. They do not come even close to those tires I mentioned.

those are older designs.

not saying you are particularly "wrong" but I would expect those 2 tires to be substandard against modern designs.

The LM-60 would be very dated against normal USA offerings such as Pilot Alpin PA4 or Dunlop 4d

The WS-70 are completely eclipsed by the ws-80 and xice xi3

It does seem like the cutting edge tires take forever to get to the USA(if at all), although lately the Nokians usually arrive within 1-2 years.

Last edited:
Tirerack is clearing out the old ones in my trucks size for $133 each, I might pull the trigger on a set.

Originally Posted By: HangFire
Continental is for 10 years ahead of everyone in winter tires for mid-size cars, but they are keeping those tires away from NA.

Are you sure about this? I run General (a Continental brand) Altimax Arctic's in the Winter time, and I understand they are the same as the Euro version by another name. As a matter of fact, mine are made in Germany. Are there other Continental's you would like to see brought over?

Great tire by the way, at least for their first Winter and 6,600 miles.

I would like their TS series to be available to us. It always outdo other competitors in ADAC tests. They are very balanced between ice, snow, deep snow, dry. Here in the U.S. I drive on Blizzaks (Tiguan WS 70, CC LM-60), and while their snow/ice performance is really good, they are horrible in dry, even LM-60, which are too soft for brakes and suspension on CC.
I had them when I lived in Europe, after using Good Year Ultra Grip series for a decade. GY UG were benchmark for a long time, but with GY UG 7 they dropped the ball and never recovered their status and performance.

Conti TS 850's are available at your local Conti dealer anywhere in Canada. As well as TS 760/ 800/ 810 Sport /830P, and ExtremeWinterContact, plus their winter truck lines.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: krzyss
Too bad not in the USA.

Krzys

Just the ExtremeWinterContact, but it's not a bad tire. Run them myself and prefer them to Bridgestone, Michelin X-Ice, and Nokian Hakkapeliitta's.

That is not the question.
Are they better in wet and dry than Dunlop 4D, Michelin Pilot Alpin?
We are talking winter performance, not studless, here.

Krzys

PS Continental decided to have 0 presence in winter performance category in the USA. I am disappointed as my TS810 were very good tires.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: c502cid
Originally Posted By: SubLGT
It seems the DM-V2 was introduced to the Russian market about 6 months ago.

Here is a detailed article, and more photos, about the tire:
http://www.zr.ru/content/articles/616151-bridgestone-blizzak-dm-v2-na-ostrie-progressa/

At the bottom of this link there are some shots of the Cruze hatchback that I see around the world but we dont get here.

Supposedly it'll be available in the US as a 2016 model year...

http://blog.caranddriver.com/2016-chevy-cruze-will-also-be-available-as-hatchback-in-u-s/

http://autoweek.com/article/car-news/chevy-cruze-hatchback-finally-coming-us

looks very aerodynamic for MPG

As long as the hatch opens enough for utility purposes I'd buy one.

ive been riding on blizzak ws60's the last couple years and they have been awesome on the highway at highway speeds, i can only imagine how much better the ws80 is in comparison and thats what ill be getting this year. Their dry pavement perormance isnt that great but i buy these tires to save my life on black ice, not togive me good dry pavement handling, WINTER TIRES for WINTER CONDITIONS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back