Grinding brakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I am not a mechanic, but I do like to do some work on my cars in the garage as a hobby and to save a little money.

About a year ago I replaced brakes on my wifes 08 Toyota Matrix.

Replaced pads and rotors with Advance Auto Parts gold line rotors, and their gold line pads.

Supposedly, they are ceramic pads, but they throw a lot of dust.

Car stops absolutely fine, no shake nothing. Car stops actually very well.

Lately the issue has been grinding. It seems to only happen when the brakes are hot, and she is getting home from an hour ride in Austin, TX traffic.

It has been 105 degrees here. The brakes will only grind once or twice in the 25 mile trip home. Totally random.

When I did the brake job, the caliper mounts were cleaned up with a wire brush, and greased with high temp brake grease.

I actually replaced caliper pins, pin boots, and put fresh sil-glyde in the boots. Everything is lubed up and moves freely.

The only thing I did not do is clean the hub surface. After reading the Critic's brake job post, I realized I should have done that.

What would cause the grinding?

Calipers are original to the car, and it has had about 4 winters in New York before we moved to Texas. When I compressed the calipers to put the pads on, they compressed with no problem, and nothing seems stuck.

I have not taken it apart yet or looked at it. I hope to do that this weekend if it is not too hot.

Rear brakes are drums. I am fairly certain that the grinding is coming from the front, not the rear.

When I did the front brakes, I didn't like how the rusty drums looked in the back of the car, so I bought black powdercoated drums, and replaced the drums, cleaned out the shoes, and adjusted everything. The rear shoes have a ton of life on them, so they did not need to be replaced.

Thanks,

JH6

Could be the brakes are so hot that some pad material is being left on the rotors. Then the next time the brakes are applied the pads are grinding the material off.

You'll need to take off each wheel and inspect. Pop off the calipers and make sure they still slide well and that each pad is still good. Make sure the dust shields for the rotors aren't rubbing. It is possible the rear drums are bad. Just take the rear wheels off and you just slide the drum off. Being a New York car you'll probably have to persuade it with a big hammer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back