coolant to phase in for Dodge Ram

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking to only do a drain & fill of the radiator in my Dodge Ram that I assume has "ole green" from the factory. I would like to use G-05 or Peak Global. Not looking to flush all the old stuff out at this point in time, even though that might be rest overall.

I would first confirm what's in there now. And I'd never risk mixing different types of coolants. Hearing from someone that it's okay is a risk I would not take.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
I would first confirm what's in there now. And I'd never risk mixing different types of coolants. Hearing from someone that it's okay is a risk I would not take.
Well is there anything that could be in there that would not be compatible with Peak Global?

Draining and flushing out all the old coolant is probably less work than draining and filling several times "phasing in" G-05.

My 2c

G-05 has worked quite well in TWO older diesels I've used it in (that originally had conv. green), the '93 6.2 in my sig, & my (sold) '82 300D, both of them got basic rinse-outs through the thermostat housing & out the disconnected lower radiator hose, both have been fine. A Cummins 5.9 has thick enough cylinder walls to not need SCAs (parent bore block), so G-05 will last quite a while without additives.

Originally Posted By: RISUPERCREWMAN
You Have a 99 Ram & your just flushing out the coolant now? You may need a new radiator as well. LMAO

I am sure its been done in the past.

Flushing it isn't that difficult and if you're going to switch coolant types it's the correct thing to do.

"Old Green" is still available, if you're willing to order online or maybe search a few stores.

That said, G-05 is great for older Chrysler products. I use it in everything in my .sig now and have done so for about 5 years with no issues whatsoever.

I will caveat that with the fact that I did a complete drain/flush/fill rather than just a drain and refill the first time I switched each one to G-05.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Well is there anything that could be in there that would not be compatible with Peak Global?

It's simple. Don't mix because you can't be sure what might be in either bottle. Just use exactly the same stuff and if you change brands or kinds of coolant then flush very carefully. A little caution is in order especially if it's your vehicle and you will be the beneficiary of any problems you inflect on the system. Cooling system problems kill engines.

Drain rad. fill with distilled water. Drive for a day or 2. Repeat 2nd. time. It will be clean enough. Find the amount of coolant your system holds. Drain rad. Fill with full strength G-05 for 1/2 of the amount on the system. add what ever water you need to top it up. I've done that. Works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back