Color of Quaker State 5w-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: The Critic
Last week, I had an oil change done at a local Midas using their bulk Quaker State 5w-30 and a PRO-TEC filter for $20.

After the oil change, I checked the oil and noticed that the oil was light brown. While the color of the oil was light brown, the color was a bit darker than I had expected and to some people, could actually pass for used oil.

Now, I was talking to the tech when he pumped the oil out of the bulk gun, so I know I wasn't ripped. The oil doesn't smell used. But at the same time, the oil does seem awfully dark for new oil.

So for those of you who use or have used Quaker State conventional oil, does the oil appear rather dark, even when it's new?

Thanks!

A few years ago I heard of an oil change shop that would mix in some used oil (from customers) back into their oil drums as a way to save money. Just sayin'. Hope it wasn't that. Similar to a scam where an oil change place would just use a cheaper conventional 10w-30 filled into all their 55 gallon drums, regardless of differing viscosity labels on the outside, but at least it was new oil I guess.

I heard one trick was that after you drain your oil, not all of it comes out, so pour some new oil and let that drain out as it mixes with the leftover oil in the pan and check how it looks down below. Once the oil down below looks clean (doesn't take much, or shouldn't), put the oil drain plug back oil and filter back on and finish your refilling of oil. Does anybody else do this.. Also how about magnetic oil drain plugs. I bought one for the Taurus but there isn't one for the Camry or rogue which have the same m12 by 1.25 except the Camry is a pilot pt whereas the rogue isn't but the parts stores didn't have a oil drain plug in that size that was magnetic. Are they helpful? What about oil filter magnets. Where do they sell those and are they helpful?

I curbed my Camry the other day. The front tire has a tear but no air is coming out nor are any fluids leaking and the underside looks fine, should I be ok? Also, I sheared a tranny pan bolt. Where can I get another one? The tranny fluid isn't leaking but now I'm missing one because I damaged it when taking it off when trying to drop the pan on the Camry.

Originally Posted By: engineer20

I curbed my Camry the other day. The front tire has a tear but no air is coming out nor are any fluids leaking and the underside looks fine, should I be ok? Also, I sheared a tranny pan bolt. Where can I get another one? The tranny fluid isn't leaking but now I'm missing one because I damaged it when taking it off when trying to drop the pan on the Camry.

You are so having fun here Eng20. Do you have any other hobbies?

Still no reply from Critic in regards to my above post.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
grin2.gif

The Critic posted the question about six years ago.
It's a recent bump from Eng20.

belle tire fixed my wheel well / front cover and reattached it and i got wheel locks from belle tire today and they said the tear in the tire was ok and they tried bending and hammering my rim back into shape so i should be fine now, but now, i have an issue of a stripped/sheared transmission pan bolt

i saw some of those bolts on the camry were very hard to get to because of this bar thing which is in the way, how do you get to those hard to reach bolts on the pan in a camry?

how do you fix a jack? a used jack i bought is leaking oil and a bolt is in a wrong place, any place in southeast michigan that can repair jacks? where can i go (who can i take it to, to fix the jack)? i bought a new one (pro lift) on sale at meijer which works well now (old jack works but won't lift very high due to that bolt being misplaced/interfering with its ability to raise the car, i bought it used and this was like it since i bought it)

The shear is fine, nothing leaking
Belle tire recommended I turn the rotors so I did so for 80 today on the Taurus. It did fix the pulsating when braking feeling so it worked but did they charge too much and did I get ripped off? Oreilly a can turn rotors, eight? But do you have to do that with a purchase of brake pads etc or can they do it at any time? What about a other auto parts stores?

Belle tire recommended I turn the rotors so I did so for 80 today on the Taurus. It did fix the pulsating when braking feeling so it worked but did they charge too much and did I get ripped off? Oreilly a can turn rotors, eight? But do you have to do that with a purchase of brake pads etc or can they do it at any time? What about a other auto parts stores?

We charge one hour per axle for rotor machining. That's $94 at my shop, and we use an on-car lathe so the rotors stay on while being machined.

i see. so 80 isn't bad, though it could be cheaper, i chedcked with oreillys and they do it for 8 dollars a rotor, but you have to take it off yourself (is that difficult? i think all you do is just take the wheel off, so going to oreilly's is cheapeset for turning your rotors right? is turning the same as resurfacing, as i've heard both of these two terms. thanks
i herad napa does it as well, what about at autozone or advance auto parts? or carquest or pepboys? Thanks.
also, for an aftermarket bolt, there were two possibilityies, an m6*12mm or m6*16. both are not the right size of the original bolt. I bought three of each in preparation of shearing/stripping more old tranny pan bolts on the camry (and i'm having difficulty getting to two which are blocked by that bar, i think the control arm? hwo do you access those two, an extention bar won't help for those two tranny pan bolts, it'd make things worse) but i bought 6 just in case i'd mess up another bolt, but i bought 3 of the 12mm and 3 of the 16mm, which is better, longer or shorter, and the original bolt had a washer, is it ok if i don't buy a washer and any 6mm washer is fine, right? i'm guessing 16mm is better since it's longer, and you can use a washer/more spacers, or is that not good since it won't completely go in as it's too long, or is the 12 mm (though a little short) sufficient and good enough? i feel as long as it won't fall out and will fit (i replaced one old bolt with the 12 mm one today and it seemed to have worked just fine) am I fine ,or should I go 14 mm(but that size is impossible to find) or is both 12 and 16mm for m6 fine as my replacement tranny pan bolt on the camry, and is the taurus tranny pan on the side? i looked for it underneath (i want to drop both pans soon) and jjust want to make sure i have it right and don't mess things up.) does anybody know the bolt size of the 09 taurus tranny pan? Thanks and is changing the filter better than gonig to the shop which adds cleaner and cleans the pan and flushes the system, or is dropping the pan and changing the filter better, or are they equivalent? Thanks.

Originally Posted By: salv

We charge one hour per axle for rotor machining. That's $94 at my shop, and we use an on-car lathe so the rotors stay on while being machined.

$80 to turn a pair of brake rotors on a ford taurus?

I bet I could get a pair of new rotors for a taurus for the same price.

Not top of the line OEM, but probably something that won't pulse.

The only rotors I would turn would be trucks or something with big high dollar rotors. The rest are disposable.

Originally Posted By: JustinH

The only rotors I would turn would be trucks or something with big high dollar rotors. The rest are disposable.
I got Raybestos rotors for my truck on Rockauto for $40-$50 a side. $80 to turn them is not worth it.

dang, i got ripped off. i was gonna reject, but that guy just was so slick and talked me into doing it after i got the FREE inspection. note FREE. it's not really FREE. if they do find a problem, they essentially FORCE you to fix it at THEIR place. that's their business model. never again will I get ripped off like this. i felt like i was a little ripped off. he told me new rotors were like 300 dollars, but again, i realized , a little too late that belle tire tends to rip you off and overcharges, but it's a chain and they're scattered everywhere and they're convenient

Originally Posted By: JustinH

Originally Posted By: SR5
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
grin2.gif

The Critic posted the question about six years ago.
It's a recent bump from Eng20.

Yeah, that original post was from a LONG time ago. But hey, I still service the same car that I mentioned in that original post!

I brought my toyota into the dealer for a free inspection and they didn't put the coolant reservoir cap with the little straw looking thing in. Is that bad? I noticed this morning, 30 miles later. Did this damage anything or no?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back