Oil Color

Just a curiosity on oil color. I was running QSFS for a few oil changes, and seemed to always have a golden blonde color to it. The last two changes I switched to QSUP 20,000 wonder oil. I have noticed the latter is substantially darker than the former. What causes this? I know the “color doesn’t matter” rule, (remember the days of the pennzoil “pure base” almost clear oil?) and I understand that fine, but just curious what’s different between the oils that would cause one to be darker than the other? I notice the additives are roughly the same proportion in both. Again, not worried, just curious. I just changed oil 5k intervals) yesterday, and honestly, it looks as dark new, as the QSFS did after a few thousand miles.

Just a curiosity on oil color. I was running QSFS for a few oil changes, and seemed to always have a golden blonde color to it. The last two changes I switched to QSUP 20,000 wonder oil. I have noticed the latter is substantially darker than the former. What causes this? I know the “color doesn’t matter” rule, (remember the days of the pennzoil “pure base” almost clear oil?) and I understand that fine, but just curious what’s different between the oils that would cause one to be darker than the other? I notice the additives are roughly the same proportion in both. Again, not worried, just curious. I just changed oil 5k intervals) yesterday, and honestly, it looks as dark new, as the QSFS did after a few thousand miles.

Pull the Valve Cover off and take a look, if all is fine, meaning if everything is clean, then you should be ok.

Next OCI try some HPL Oil, and then let us know what the oil color looks like, after a 5000 mile OCI.

I noticed that Mobil 20k was like a light yellow color. It was fairly clear overall so maybe their just using a better base oil w/less additives in some areas?

Buy some 508, It's green or so I am told. I come across oils that are pretty dark out of the jug. They are usually pretty pricey.

Liquimoly says hold my beer:

Molygen UV.jpg

Most base oils, even Grp II oils, are completely clear, so the pennzoil crystal clear claim is pretty baseless. The additive package is usually a dark brown, copperish color which gives the oil it's golden color when dispersed. Difference is additive package levels, type, etc can all affect color.

Most base oils, even Grp II oils, are completely clear, so the pennzoil crystal clear claim is pretty baseless. The additive package is usually a dark brown, copperish color which gives the oil it's golden color when dispersed. Difference is additive package levels, type, etc can all affect color.
Is that like Pepsi clear?

I've used Schaeffer, Royal Purple HPS, Torco and now currently HPL oils. They're all different in colors, never affected anything in the end so 🤷

I noticed that Mobil 20k was like a light yellow color. It was fairly clear overall so maybe their just using a better base oil w/less additives in some areas?
Years back an older fellow that had worked for Exxon Mobil told me the color is caused by the additives used and even the base oil makeup. I remember growing up new motor oil was dark amber, nowadays it seems to be almost like cooking oil. I must be getting old

Years back an older fellow that had worked for Exxon Mobil told me the color is caused by the additives used and even the base oil makeup. I remember growing up new motor oil was dark amber, nowadays it seems to be almost like cooking oil. I must be getting old
Good info and the fact we've seen a reduction of additives in oil there's even less to change the color.

I put Quaker State 10-30 fs in my car and it turned dark within 500 miles. (Not black, just dark amber) it hasn't darkened much more since then and it's been in for over 3000 miles. It has gotten a red tint over time though.

I put Quaker State 10-30 fs in my car and it turned dark within 500 miles. (Not black, just dark amber) it hasn't darkened much more since then and it's been in for over 3000 miles. It has gotten a red tint over time though.
What kind of car? My focus on a blend was still gold/light amber at 5k

What kind of car? My focus on a blend was still gold/light amber at 5k
Mitsubishi Montero with the 3.5 v6 that Mitsubishi put in everything. It's clean under the valve covers but it turned that oil dark. Oil change before the Quaker State was some rotella t6 with a dash of MMO because my lifters were dying. MMO fixed the ones that were just dirty but some were very worn.
Next oil change is gonna be some QS Euro 5w40 because the engine is quieter with thicker oil. And ceratec for fun.

Back