Any 2013 or 2014 Impreza Hatch Reviews?

Status
Not open for further replies.
looking for a car to replace my jeep that will

1. Get over 25mpg
2. still perform in the snow

I think the Impreza hatch fits the bill perfect. I have found base 2013 and 2014 models with 10-20k miles on them for 17,500-19K.

Is there any reason not to pull the trigger?

That was their new price so I'd just buy new. Many times you can achieve invoice -2% on new sales in my area.

A 2015 manual 2.0i invoice is 18650$

so you should be able to get near 18300+tax+fees.

Also might want to wait for the 2016 models I've heard various rumors such as an upgrade to a 6mt.. not sure about their validity.

automatic equipped 2015 should be under 19500$+tax+fees

other models

base xv crosstek with 5mt = 21000$+

base forester with 6mt = 22000$+

If you have a trade in there may be advantages to buying new as well for sales tax.

all models will easily achieve 25mpg althought the cvt impreza would be best mainly do to the 2.0 and aerodynamics.

If you can stretch to the forester its a whole lot more vehicle for the money. Still gets 30mpg@65mph

the impreza hatch is also very nice. the xv crosstek is basically a lifted version.

Subaru tend to hold their value its VERY hard to buy slightly used ones for any sort of deal price.

Example I traded in my 2011 forester w/30000mi and its dealer sticker price was 19999$ while my new car was 23000 and 4 model years newer

Last edited:
If you're looking for something to replace a 1998 Grand cherokee, the closest you're going to get is an XV Crosstrek or a Forester.

I've got the slightly lifted version of the 2012+ Impreza hatchback, the XV Crosstrek. The ride is harsher and bouncier on the XV over the Impreza, but fit/finish, comfort behind the wheel, visibility and how it drives are excellent. My XV is a 5spd. I average ~28-29mpg in the winter and ~31mpg tank/tank in the summer.

The CVT will yield better MPGs, as will the low ground clearance of the Impreza. I've seen Impreza owners claim some pretty impressive MPGs. High 30s.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
Don't people usually like the CVT's better than the MT in Subie's?

I know I did. Previous Subaru was a 2012 Legacy 2.5i CVT (leased and returned). I bought the 5spd 2014 XV because it was on the lot and a good bargaining chip when I turned in the Legacy.

I just purchased the 2015 5 door Impreza. Although I have only had it for two weeks, my initial impressions are favorable. With CVT, the mileage is much improved over my previous 5 speed MT Forester. In addition, it seems to have an excellent build quality with excellent fit and finish. If used models are commanding the prices you indicated, you might be able to score a new model for slightly more. I got 1500 off msrp on mine. Also, I don't have any complaints about the CVT. I prefer it to the MT in my old Forester.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wn1998
looking for a car to replace my jeep that will

1. Get over 25mpg
2. still perform in the snow

I think the Impreza hatch fits the bill perfect. I have found base 2013 and 2014 models with 10-20k miles on them for 17,500-19K.

The Impreza will do it. The Crosstrek will do it better due to higher ground clearance. But, if you pay the extra for the Crosstrek, you might as well spend another thousand or so and get a Forester.

We originally looked at the Impreza hatchback (think it was a 2013 we test-drove), and liked it well enough, but there wasn't much cargo space. So we ended up with the Forester instead. With snow tires, it handled last winter with no problems other than my girlfriend continually wanting to borrow it to drive to work
smile.gif

The one thing I would be careful about with the pre-2015 Imprezas is oil burning. But I'm not sure of any way to tell whether it's one of the small percentage that burn oil without driving it a long distance and checking the oil level.

Originally Posted By: Rand
If you can stretch to the forester its a whole lot more vehicle for the money. Still gets 30mpg@65mph

My record is 45 Canadian mpg at ~65mph, which would be about 38 US mpg. But that's with no wind; with a headwind, the Forester's lack of aerodynamics mean the fuel consumption increases dramatically. I couldn't understand why the highway mileage varied so much until I realized that.

The Impreza has better aerodynamics and a smaller engine, so should be able to do better.

Not a single bad thing said about the impreza! Thank you all for your opinions and I will look at new prices vs the used in my area.

I drove 2 Subaru Imprezas via Zipcar - I'll count the XV Crosstrek as one. I liked the visibilty, road manners and it has decent power although I wished there was a little more punch to it - it did fine traversing I-95 in Chicago, but I had to give myself room on the 26 between Beaverton and Portland. The CVT worked fine, it didn't rubberband too much like I notice on Honda and Nissan CVTs, but it tends to drop gears in paddle-shift mode. One thing Subaru left out is a lumbar support - I assume leather-equipped models will have one I drove a 2014 Impreza and a 2015 XV Crosstrek. Also, the Starlink system is cranky, not as cranky as MyFordTouch, but it threw fits with Pandora.

Last edited:
How about a slightly used new-style Cherokee?

2.4 4-cyl and AWD...sounds like it meets your criteria...

add guy, I've thought of the new Cherokee but honestly don't like it for cosmetic reason. It looks like a spaceship....I would take a new grand Cherokee, but would have to live in it with it's 40k price tag

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back