Tranny flush

Status
Not open for further replies.
I took my 1991 Chevrolet K1500 into what I believe is a reputable transmission shop. The vehicle was well maintained by the previous owner, my employer, but the tranny fluid was brown. The vehicle has averaged about 1k miles per yr for the last 20 years, so it is a short tripper.

I took it in for a tranny flush (($89). They just did a pan drop and replaced the filter and fliud (($49). They said that the fluid was brown, but not burnt. They were afraid that a tranny flush would cause problems. My concern is that they didnt have time for a flush, and just did a filter/fluid change for times sake. I want to trust them because they do have a good reputation.

They could have easily charged me for a flush and I would have been none the wiser. Does this sound plausible?

Filter and fluid change would probably take longer than a flush (if you mean using a fluid exchange machine). They can probably do a flush under 10 mins.

Or maybe the transmission fittings on the rad were corroded and they didn't want to mess with it.

Last edited:
I agree with what the shop did.

They didn't want to gum something up, or get some sludge caught in the wrong part of the transmission, and cause you $$$ problems down the road.

A flush pushes fluid through the system, and all the muck with it. Who knows what is in that torque converter?

Also an old truck from South Dakota with fittings on the radiator that may be rusted on? I have seen those things snap in half, then they are in for buying you a radiator also, as well as putting a new line on and fittings.

In a transmission of unknown condition, I would drop the pan and change the filter, then refill it.

Do it again in a year, and the fluid should get cleaned up over time.

Next time ask them if the torque converter has a drain plug on it, and have them drain the converter also then refill the system.

Some of my older Fords had drain plugs and they worked perfect. The converter holds a ton of fluid. I do not know about Chevy though.

When I do this type of service myself, I like to clean the pan and the magnet attached to the pan. I'm sure they have a parts washer and they do that as well. I just used some brake clean and a lint free cloth, it came out fine.

Last edited:
I'm not a fan of flushes, just a pan drop and filter change is all I ever do and I've never lost a transmission.

Agreed 100%
smile.gif

Only "flush" that should be done is one that involves pushing \flushing old transmission fluid out of say in a radiator that pushes the old fluid in there out. The main transmission should just be pulling out a drain plug (my car a drain plug) if present or a pan drop.
No pressure should be involved within the main transmission case. Leads to nothing good if that's done.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dishdude
I'm not a fan of flushes, just a pan drop and filter change is all I ever do and I've never lost a transmission.

Regardless of maintenance, you'd be very hard pushed indeed to lose a transmission. I mean, think how big and heavy they are!

Originally Posted By: Olas
Originally Posted By: dishdude

Regardless of maintenance, you'd be very hard pushed indeed to lose a transmission. I mean, think how big and heavy they are!

I never did get British comedy!
grin.gif

Pan drop is the correct way I would say. Follow up with another pan drop in 1-3k miles if you want to get some more new fluid worked in.

Does it have a drain plug? If so keep that new filter in and just drain and fill.

I replaced the radiator a few months ago. There are no cooler lines running to the radiator. But, agreed. Will do ocassional pan drops and refill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back