Michelin Premier review

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a chance to test the Premiers on the Fit during a very wet day. Those tires have some serious wet grip for all-seasons. An "emergency" stop done on a traffic-free road didn't kick in the ABS. Cornering at speed was fairly confident, even with less than 500 miles on the tires.

The ride is a lot smoother than the previous set of Conti DWS's. It's less crashy and smooths out small bumps a lot better.

The one quibble is they seem to be picking up every loose stone on the road surface. I'll have to check in a month to see if they're still doing that.

So far so good.

I'm considering a set of Premier's @ 195/55r15 for the '07 Fit Sport. I currently have a cheap set of Tigerpaw tires from the PO.

Comparing the Michelin Premier A/S here to the Yokohama YK580s that my BIL has installed currently. Anyone have experience or advice / comparative information? I don't know quite what to look for between the two.

I'd prefer what would help fuel economy while being safe and while the Premier's claim to be LRR(fuel efficient?) most reviews do not point to this being the case.

Also, a set of 4 with $70 off is still over $500 at my local Costco with the discount they have going on through the 10th. I feel like I could do better with price with these or the Yokohama's, unless there is another good tire in this size.

Not trying to thread-hijack.

The wet grip for the YK580's was reported to be not that great. After researching both tires, I went with Premiers since wet grip is important in this area and the type of driving the Fit will be doing for the foreseeable future.

If you want fuel efficiency first, look elsewhere. Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max or Bridgestone Ecopia 422 come to mind as competent LRR-first tires that still perform acceptably in wet/snowy conditions. The Premier seems to be more of a grippy tire that happens to be slightly more fuel efficient than other grippy tires instead of a fuel efficient tire that happens to grip well in all conditions.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
The wet grip for the YK580's was reported to be not that great. After researching both tires, I went with Premiers since wet grip is important in this area and the type of driving the Fit will be doing for the foreseeable future.

If you want fuel efficiency first, look elsewhere. Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max or Bridgestone Ecopia 422 come to mind as competent LRR-first tires that still perform acceptably in wet/snowy conditions. The Premier seems to be more of a grippy tire that happens to be slightly more fuel efficient than other grippy tires instead of a fuel efficient tire that happens to grip well in all conditions.

Thank you for the feedback. Perfect explanation.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: sciphi

I had YK580s on my 11 Civic.. I agree with the wet traction comment. I was happy with the tire in all other aspects except wet traction. It didn't feel that confident.

I just put these on last night on my Kia. They replaced the Tiger Paws which I never liked. The tiger paws never balanced right and I never felt confident in rain or snow. I'm hoping these tires live up to the marketing hype. We will see. So far, the new shoes feel real nice! There is no substitute for a good tire.

Originally Posted By: bigblumer
I just put these on last night on my Kia. They replaced the Tiger Paws which I never liked. The tiger paws never balanced right and I never felt confident in rain or snow. I'm hoping these tires live up to the marketing hype. We will see. So far, the new shoes feel real nice! There is no substitute for a good tire.

Best of luck with them. Here we have always used a speaker analogy on tires.

Just like a cheap stereo can be made to sound pretty good with a quality speaker, so can a set of good tires transform the road manners of almost any vehicle...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back