theory of x brand plug in certain makes

Status
Not open for further replies.
does anyone here subscribed to the theory that certain makes vehicle need certain brands of spark plug? Like chevys and ac delco, Asian cars and NGK, jeeps and champion?

I seem to prefer NGK v powers in everything, have themin my ssubsrus, jeeps, Honda...

when i sold my neon, I gave away a "lifetime supply" of Autolite plugs for it... we had 2 pks in the clearance aisle for 74 cents, i bought them all.
gave away enough plugs for 4 changes(factory interval was 30k mi)
16 Autolite 3923, and 4 Champion RC9YC(OE plugs)

also gave away 10 oil filters, 5 Wix 51348, 3 Bosch 3330, 1 Mopar MO-409, and 1 P1 PL10241

the parts didn't go with the car, co worker's hubby is a mechanic at the local dodge dealer, and their daughter drives a neon.

Yea , I do.
NGKs/Densos in my Honda and Vibe (Toyota )
AC Delcos for my Chevy truck.
I've never had any good luck with Bosch in any vehicle.
Champion or NGK for my lawn equipment.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
I put Denso in my Toyotas. Never tried any other brand.

I changed the plugs in the vibe(2003 1zzfe) when my buddy first bought it, took out the OE plugs, put in NGK's. I think they were either the oe plugs, or the most highly recommended on the vibe forum i had joined.

In theory it shouldn't matter. But in reality, every Chevy I've had has seemed a bit better off with ac delco plugs.

Originally Posted By: earlyre

I changed the plugs in the vibe(2003 1zzfe) when my buddy first bought it, took out the OE plugs, put in NGK's. I think they were either the oe plugs, or the most highly recommended on the vibe forum i had joined.

I've heard NGKs are good. I forget if it was Honda or Toyota but I've read that the V6 engines sometimes have one bank of Denso plugs and the bank in NGK plugs from the factory.

Just beware the self-fulfilling prophecy.

I've heard NGKs are good. I forget if it was Honda or Toyota but I've read that the V6 engines sometimes have one bank of Denso plugs and the bank in NGK plugs from the factory.

Some Toyota V6s ship that way, at least in the recent past.

huh?

i should have mentioned that "when he bought it" was in summer of 2010, with 120k mi.

I usually like to use the OE plug, but there are exceptions:

Transverse V6 engines with difficult access (often requiring removing the intake which takes hours if not a full weekend), I like to use long-life iridium spark plugs, but I still try and stick with either Denso, NGK, or the OE supplier. Denso Iridium Long-Life seems to be available for more engines than NGK Laser Iridium.

If the OE plug is no longer available (like the Champion RC8PYP that came on many Volvos), I use the most similar NGK or Denso available.

If the OE plug is made in China and/or of a poor design, then they are usually replaced with NGK or Denso. If the ignition system is just hard on spark plugs, then they get iridium.

OE copper plugs often get replaced with platinum (the longer service life is appealing), usually NGK G-Power or Denso Platinum.

A lot of people don't like Bosch, except when they are the OE supplier. Bosch's OE parts are fantastic; many of their aftermarket parts are going downhill. I use Bosch in cars that came with them from the factory, and in the 1MZ Toyota that calls for two-prong plugs for which no other multi-ground iridium plugs exist (if Denso did make them, they would be called SK20TR11). Otherwise, they are avoided.

Mopar Magneti Marelli plugs seem to be rebranded Bosch. AC Delco doesn't make their own plugs; they rebox (some of them are Denso). Autolite makes Motorcraft.

Unfortunately, NGK doesn't make any spark plugs for that Ford truck that uses that stupid 2-piece design, and no iridium options, either. Fortunately, I don't have one of those trucks and don't need to work on one!

happy2.gif

Originally Posted By: theKman

Some Toyota V6s ship that way, at least in the recent past.

I can confirm - two co-workers have 2013 Toyota Tacomas with the V-6 - and one bank is Denso the other bank is NGK.

They are engineered with certain plugs and i do think its wise to keep it that way. Can you use other plugs sure but some cars are pickier than others. I like oem over aftermarket any day.

First of all, what the [censored] is up with those Toyotas? We had one roll into our shop and thought the owner was being cheap.

Anyway I like v powers. They last longer than copper core, like 45k or so. I know that g powers are like 50 cents more , but I have had the best luck with em

Originally Posted By: hansj3
does anyone here subscribed to the theory that certain makes vehicle need certain brands of spark plug?

Yes. My personal experience with Ford, Chevy, Mitsubishi, Suzuki, Yamaha, and BMW has shown that to be the quickest easiest way to get acceptable if not optimal idle quality and driveability. Every time I have either cheaped-out and tried to save a couple bucks using a "comparable" plug, or thought I knew better than the engineers and used a "better" plug I have ended up doing the job over again with the "recommended" plug (except special circumstances like nitrous or otherwise modified engines where there is a specific need for a non-stock plug and usually some testing to back up the non-stock choice of plug).

Automakers spend 9-10 figures developing new engines, I figure a million or two is spent on spark plug development and/or testing. I am not an engineer, let alone a team of engineers with a seven-figure budget to pick something as stupid and simple as a spark plug.

Are there cases where the engineers flat-out get it wrong and spec a bad plug for a specific engine? Possibly. Are there cases where bean-counters force a (not-quite) "good enough" plug into production? Absolutely. But those screw-ups are relatively rare and often rectified by back-spec'ing. (i.e. GM Ecotec 2.2L originaly spec'd single-platinum plugs. Massive number of coil failures due to wide gaps and they changed the spec to double-platinum plugs, still unacceptable rate of coil failures, changed spec again to iridium plugs... Problem solved and most likely the engineers finally get to see the plugs they originally intended be installed in the Ecotec.)

Amen to the transverse motor set up... My doggone car has all that stuff you spoke of in the way on the side closest to the firewall. I put Denso iridium's in my car. Running really good and they are OEM specd. NGKs were $18 a piece. The Densos were $12 a plug. Never paid anywhere near that much for plugs before. But they are worth it.

Originally Posted By: earlyre

I bought a brand new in the crate Honda CBR 1100, the 2 end plugs were NGK and the 2 middle ones were Denso. I ever found out why, they were the same heat range.

After years of wrenching, I decided to put in the same model spark plug as came from the factory. My guess is the factory uses these plugs for all their testing. I've never had a spark plug issue since. Ed

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back