What brand of spark plug

This is a legitimate question. So you see no difference between any of those three?
Because, Champion has always worked for me, then again NGK has worked for me. A better thing to say is more than likely whatever spark plug that came with your equipment should work fine.

Whatever came on my equipment with either Champion or NGK is what I have stuck with.

NGK. Simply because I am comfortable with that brand’s reputation and they are readily available. I’ve used Champion too with no problems in small engines but I am more comfortable with the NGK because they have a good reputation for me in cars and small engines. I think you would be fine anyway you go.

1. OEM is usually a quality plug on quality engines. I dump the chinesium plugs from my small engines early. So, it depends on brand/pn that OEM installed.
2. Champion hasn't wronged me yet.
3. NGK hasn't wronged me yet.
4. Toss in Denso/Bosch/Autolite......

What I like doing is varying the plug picked so that I can see if there is any running issues, or plug longevity issues. I just haven't found a non-knockoff that gives me problems. I do find that some geewhiz plugs do little. I've had engines run 4-6 different plugs. Also have a car with 4 different brands of brake rotors.

I like NGK because a lot of the equipment I buy either has an NGK in it, or the OE plug is made by NGK. That, and I have been putting the NGK-equivelant plug in anything ICE of mine for the past 15 years without any issues.

I usually get the Briggs & Stratton brand at my local dealer. They work really well. I don't know if it's just a coincidence, but I had one quit on me at the start of the season and I think fuel stabilizer caused the issue. Just a theory, though not based on confirmable facts.

Small engines?
Champion Premium, formally called EZ Start, sold at Lowes. They are a step up from the basic Champion small engine plugs. You can spot them by the bronze colored terminal top. They have a fine wire electrode.

I bought a new Lawn-Boy 2-stroke when they were phasing them out when I was a young home owner. The mower came with a NGK plug.
The than Champion EZ Start outlasted the NGK plug by a long shot.

Basic NGK plugs are overrated but work. The real key is getting the correct plug. Sometimes people incorrectly cross one over and blame the plug brand when it was user error.

Cars? NGK or Denso.

All of my lawn & garden power equipments have Champion spark plugs on them. Not one problem.
Not so sure about the Champion S/P sold now. I believe they're chinese made.

Last edited:
Back