Best Current Maker of Ni-Cd AA Size Cells

I realize this is probably an odd question, but I'm looking for some AA-sized Ni-Cd cells, preferably flat top without tabs(I have a battery spot welder to add my own as needed).

For this specific application, I'm not comfortable using NiMH because the charging circuit is relatively simple and primitive and basically takes advantage of the ability of NiCds to handle overcharge better than NiMH.

The original cells are rated at 500mAH, so anything I fit will be an upgrade since the smallest I seem to find are 600mAH. There are 1000mAH cells out there, but they scare me a bit-everything I've seen and experienced with NiMH is that the ultra-high capacity cells seem to have reduced service life compared to more modest capacity cells. BTW, this particular pack I'm rebuilding is dated to 1995 and actually still works-it's just at the lower end of acceptable performance when freshly charged and falls off rapidly. I have 4 or 5 of these(dated from the 90s up into the 2000s) and this is the only one I have that's even worth considering rebuilding. If anyone cares for particular details, it's a Metz 45-40 battery pack for the 45-series camera flashes, and my metric for acceptable performance is in flash recycle time(how long it takes for the flash to reach "ready" after a full powered flash). 4 seconds is actually what I've seen a perfect condition pack do, but I consider 7 seconds acceptable.

NiCds are certainly available, but I don't see a lot of brands I recognize even available. I've used Tenergy branded Sub-C NiMHs and so far they've been fine, so I'm inclined to go with them but also don't want to have this thing back apart in a few months.

Does anyone have any experience with this or a different brand of current manufacturer Ni-Cd cells?

In reality, it is very hard to beat the classic eneloop AA battery. Tolerates any abuse, lasts nearly forever. The "ultra" versions sold by Amazon and Eneloop are nowhere near as good.

I recently got these as replacements for the ones that were in a scan tool.

20220812_153356.jpg

I typically buy Panasonic or Sanyo (NLA) for equipment use. Non-consumer Ni-Cd batteries are going extinct at Mouser and Dig-Key; maybe due to supply chain issues? There are still some other consumer grade alternatives, for now. I guess it's get what you can, while you can.

In reality, it is very hard to beat the classic eneloop AA battery. Tolerates any abuse, lasts nearly forever. The "ultra" versions sold by Amazon and Eneloop are nowhere near as good.
I’m a NiMH Eneloop fan, but don’t recall seeing them make NiCads, perhaps they are discontinued?

Unless the product is actually marketed under the name “Classic Eneloop”, which as a search term reveals a multitude of off-topic answers.

Thanks everyone, looks like Panasonics are what I need to hunt down.

The cells I'm removing are branded Metz on the wrapper, but I'd be curious as to who actually made them(since it most certainly wasn't Metz). There's another Metz application that uses 6V gel cell battery and I did figure out the OEM maker/part number, but unfortunately everything I can find under that actual part number or cross referenced to it is physically too large and not suitable...

I had been under the impression that Eneloop batteries were always NiMH. Is this not the case? Also, are they available in a flat top version? I haven't tried, but I'm pretty sure space is tight enough in this application that a conventional button top battery wouldn't fit, or would at least be a nightmare to do(plus, even though I've done it successfully, it's a pain to spot weld nickel strips to button top batteries).

Thanks everyone, looks like Panasonics are what I need to hunt down.

The cells I'm removing are branded Metz on the wrapper, but I'd be curious as to who actually made them(since it most certainly wasn't Metz). There's another Metz application that uses 6V gel cell battery and I did figure out the OEM maker/part number, but unfortunately everything I can find under that actual part number or cross referenced to it is physically too large and not suitable...

I had been under the impression that Eneloop batteries were always NiMH. Is this not the case? Also, are they available in a flat top version? I haven't tried, but I'm pretty sure space is tight enough in this application that a conventional button top battery wouldn't fit, or would at least be a nightmare to do(plus, even though I've done it successfully, it's a pain to spot weld nickel strips to button top batteries).

Eneloop has always been NiMH. But Panasonic/Matsushita made/marketed different battery types. I don't really see NiCads though in their safety information.

I bought some cheap stake lights that still had NiCads. Some cheap AAAs made in China.

Back