Lubrication Engineers 5w30 vs. Others????

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure the Hyundai can use the 10w30. I'll have to check the manual as see what it says. I would like to simplify my oil needs for the vehicles I have, I feel like an oil warehouse somedays.....

Here is what I have to stock for:

2010 Hyundai oil to be determined

2009 Honda Ody oil to be determined

2002 F250 PSD Delo 15w40

2006 Can Am Outlander Max Can am synthetic (can't remember the weight)

1988 Condor TX-19 572 chevy Old Formula Rotella T 15w40 (1 case left)

1989 Concord 22' 454 chevy 15w40 Royal Purple (original owner started it on RP so I have just kept feeding it the same)

Onan Generator in 5th wheel--Onan 15w40. May switch this to the Delo.

1970 M35a2 Duece and a half. Delo 15w40

Yamaha 4600dex gen set. Yamalube 30w

Plus still have a 5 qt jug of MC 5w20 semi synthetic from a prevoius Merc Sable, 8 qts of 20w50 M1 from a previous boat, etc., not to mention the two stroke stock for Stihl chainsaw, weed eater, blower, and MC1 two stroke oil for the GasGas Pampera trail bike.

As for the F 250, I will switch it over to LE eventually, I have two cases of Delo to go through (bought it at Costco with a $10 off coupon per case) and changed the diff fluids out about 6 months ago with Royal Purple, so they are good till next year.

Case purchases can be expensive, so I will just have to see exactly what weights my neighbor has in stock.

Checked the owners manual this morning, and it says I can use 10w30 for temps above 0*. Not a problem here, I've been here 15 years and never seen the temperature dip below 15* at night. I don't think we've ever had 0* here.

The manual does state that 5w20 and 5w30 should be used for best mileage results. Hmmmmm....guess I'll have to try each and see how much mileage is actually affected. I doubt it would be much difference.

Does your manual specify an ILSAC rating? If so, then 8530 is the only engine oil they make with a SM/GF-4 rating. 8130 is SM/SL/CJ-4 rated. But I can definately recommend 8130. I just don't have any experience with or data for 8530 yet.

As Johnny mentioned, these are syntheic blend oils. But I don't think they blend with PAO anymore. It sounds more like EOP, but not specified:

LE Products
Versatile lubricants with unequalled performance
– L.E. products are designed to give
unmatched performance in virtually any application
operating under conditions that vary
from normal to severe.
L.E. has dedicated their resources to continually
provide customers with high performance,
consistent quality lubricants.
R&D continually investigates advanced
technology to develop tomorrow’s lubricants.
L.E.’s own additive company, The Almasol
Corporation, perfected wear-reducing additives
which have been used on every US
manned space mission. Customers benefit
from LE’s exclusive and proprietary additives:
DUOLEC™ - Provides a ‘dual’ layer of antiwear
& EP protection that forms a solid-like
protective layer on metal surfaces
ALMASOL® – Greatly reduces friction,
heat & wear while withstanding very
high loads and temperatures up to 1900°F
(1038°C)
MONOLEC® – Vastly increases oil film
strength while reducing friction, heat and
wear.
QUINPLEX® – Provides water and moisture
resistance.
PYROSHIELD® – For use in extreme heavy
duty and shock loading
Superior base oils – L.E.’s petroleum lubricants
contain 100% Mid-Continent paraffinic
base oils. Using special refining techniques,
these base oils have a saturated molecular
structure similar to the synthetic PAO’s. Thus,
they offer excellent oxidation resistance, superior
lubricity, long life and few deposits /
sludge.
Uninterrupted Supply – is assured through
L.E.’s huge inventory of highest quality base
stocks

this sounds like fancy oil additives(xado, cermet etc.) marketing

DUOLEC™ - Provides a ‘dual’ layer of antiwear
& EP protection that forms a solid-like
protective layer on metal surfaces
ALMASOL® – Greatly reduces friction,
heat & wear while withstanding very
high loads and temperatures up to 1900°F
(1038°C)
MONOLEC® – Vastly increases oil film
strength while reducing friction, heat and
wear.
QUINPLEX® – Provides water and moisture
resistance.
PYROSHIELD® – For use in extreme heavy
duty and shock loading

Originally Posted By: INDYMAC

About a month ago I started using LE LX 2300 Heavy Chemical Supplement in the fuel systems of my Tundra, S2000 and 2009 RAV4 V-6. Subjectively, all I can say is WOW for now. The proof will be how it does on my UOA's.

Looking forward to those UOAs INDYMAC!

I have some LX2300 on order. I'm told it comes in cases of 12 pint sized (16 oz) bottles, and the recommended treatment rate is 1 oz per gallon every 1000 miles. I'm going to give it a whirl.

The LX2300 is a very good fuel additive and they also make an excellent 2-cycle oil, but as stated above some where, you have to buy everything is case lots and the dollar will only go so far.

Last I heard, LE was buying their base stocks from Petro-Canada.

zoomzoom, don't let fancy names get in the way, LE makes an excellent line of products.

I know a local Amish-Mennonite guy here who was using LE HDEO in his 97 Powerstroke and farm equipment. Not sure which product number, but I know it was 15W-40 conventional, and this was 5 years ago. By the time it came to buying some more LE, he found his distributor here had decided to get out of the busines and he had referred him to me. I hooked him up with some Schaeffers 7000 15W-40 Synthetic Plus blend and he reported back later that his truck had picked up 1 or 2 miles per gallon consistently and that his engine started more easily in cold weather. The Schaeffers cost him less and seemed to perform better in this case.

I have never personally used any LE products, but have always read good things about them.

Originally Posted By: rpintx1
Checked the owners manual this morning, and it says I can use 10w30 for temps above 0*. Not a problem here, I've been here 15 years and never seen the temperature dip below 15* at night. I don't think we've ever had 0* here.

The manual does state that 5w20 and 5w30 should be used for best mileage results. Hmmmmm....guess I'll have to try each and see how much mileage is actually affected. I doubt it would be much difference.

I have used 5w-20 and 5w-30 in my Sonata (3.3L V6), 10w-30 was used once from the dealer. Seems to run best on the 5w-30.

Originally Posted By: chet2
the LE only has a 6.6 tbn...go with mobil clean or sopus

I think the 5W-30 does have TBN in that range.

For the record, since we have been discussing both LE 5W-30 and 10W-30 in this thread, LE 8130 10W30 has a TBN of 10.0 and HTHS of 3.7

Yes, I think he does get a good price on it. He orders by the case and he said he could add whatever I wanted to his order. He gave me a couple of bottles of the LX fuel additive and on more than one tank, I got .5 to 1 mpg better on average in the Oddyssey.

hello, Did you add the full bottle into the fuel tank and achieve this mpg improvement ?

Originally Posted By: fpracha
Yes, I think he does get a good price on it. He orders by the case and he said he could add whatever I wanted to his order. He gave me a couple of bottles of the LX fuel additive and on more than one tank, I got .5 to 1 mpg better on average in the Oddyssey.

hello, Did you add the full bottle into the fuel tank and achieve this mpg improvement ?

Did you note that this thread is dated 2010.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back