First Oil Change 5.7 Vortec Oil level on Add Line

Hi guys,
I did my first oil change on my '78 Nova with a 5.7 Vortec crate motor. I used Supertech full synthetic 5W30 and a Supertech ST5 filter. That said, I partially filled the filter before installation and added the remaining contents of the 5 quart jug, ran the engine and checked for leaks. After letting the oil drain back into the the pan, I checked the level and it's consistently right on the add line. any thoughts as to what's going on here? 6qt. pan? Dipstick looks to be a factory one. Yellow ring style handle and tube is not chrome. The previous owner could not offer me any info as he didn't change the oil in the 2 years he owned it. No not implying this was right. Was driven sparingly by him, hence his philosophy Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Do you have a picture of the oil pan available? What oil filter are you using? Do you have an aftermarket engine oil cooler?

Last edited:
After letting the oil drain back into the the pan, I checked the level and it's consistently right on the add line.
How long did you wait after your turned the engine over to check the oil? If it was within 5 min, and the engine was cold, I say wait longer......maybe an hour. It could take quite a while for all the cold oil to drain back into the pan. The 5.7 uses 5 quarts, or 5.1 "by the book". Unless you have a larger pan or wrong dipstick, 5 qts should do it. I would add, a larger pan would require more oil, whereas a dipstick too short makes not mechanical difference, as long as you know where the level should be.

Is the ST5 the correct filter or is it a cross reference for a larger filter?

In my experience, first fill of a dressed crate motor sometimes takes an extra quart to fill it. Little nooks and crannies seem to store more than you would think. I'd add enough to get to the full line, then see if 5 quarts works in subsequent changes.

My 5.7 Vortec took exactly 5 quarts to reach the full line, but I never had to fill it from a completely dry state. It's a big oil filter, but 5 quarts takes that into account.

Do you have a picture of the oil pan available? What oil filter are you using? Do you have an aftermarket engine oil cooler?
Unfortunately I don't have a pic available at this time. No oil cooler. Thanks!:)

I'd leave it be and just stick with the 5 quarts. Just my opinion which is worth nothing but I've owned so many GMT400s with Vortec 5.7s and they've always took a 5 quart jug with joy and never needed to add any more oil.
dodgememe, thanks! :)

In my experience, first fill of a dressed crate motor sometimes takes an extra quart to fill it. Little nooks and crannies seem to store more than you would think. I'd add enough to get to the full line, then see if 5 quarts works in subsequent changes.

My 5.7 Vortec took exactly 5 quarts to reach the full line, but I never had to fill it from a completely dry state. It's a big oil filter, but 5 quarts takes that into account.
That was my thought too! I know previous to changing it, it was about a third of the way up from the add line in the safe area. Thanks!:)

How long did you wait after your turned the engine over to check the oil? If it was within 5 min, and the engine was cold, I say wait longer......maybe an hour. It could take quite a while for all the cold oil to drain back into the pan. The 5.7 uses 5 quarts, or 5.1 "by the book". Unless you have a larger pan or wrong dipstick, 5 qts should do it. I would add, a larger pan would require more oil, whereas a dipstick too short makes not mechanical difference, as long as you know where the level should be.

Is the ST5 the correct filter or is it a cross reference for a larger filter?
I checked it again this afternoon (stone cold) with the same results.
I got the number from the Walmart data base in the filter isle. Thanks! :)

I checked it again this afternoon (stone cold) with the same results.
I got the number from the Walmart data base in the filter isle. Thanks! :)
The only psoosiblities would be:

you did not put 5 qts in
you have a larger pan than normal
you dipstick is wrong.

good luck

@Falcon64 if this is a GM certified crate motor why not call them and explain the situation to them and ask them for advise? Personally I would not want to run this engine at the add mark. Each block and oil pan combination can have different volume. Was it filled from the factory for the initial fill?

Just my $0.02

@Falcon64 if this is a GM certified crate motor why not call them and explain the situation to them and ask them for advise? Personally I would not want to run this engine at the add mark. Each block and oil pan combination can have different volume. Was it filled from the factory for the initial fill?

Just my $0.02
I was told it was a crate motor the guy I purchased it from. It was already installed when he purchased the car, so he's going off what he was told, and could not offer any additional info. There are no visible markings that I could see that would indicate who the builder is. The only thing I could do is try and get that person's contact info and see if they know the particulars. Thanks for your willingness to help! :)

I was told it was a crate motor the guy I purchased it from. It was already installed when he purchased the car, so he's going off what he was told, and could not offer any additional info. There are no visible markings that I could see that would indicate who the builder is. The only thing I could do is try and get that person's contact info and see if they know the particulars. Thanks for your willingness to help! :)
No problem.

You mentioned in a previous post that the oil was 1/3 above the add line before changing. Did you notice any issues when it was at that level? Any foaming or air bubbles in the oil? I’d be inclined to add a 1/2 quart to the sump and see what happens. My guess is that it’s got a 6 quart pan on it.

Just my $0.02

No problem.

You mentioned in a previous post that the oil was 1/3 above the add line before changing. Did you notice any issues when it was at that level? Any foaming or air bubbles in the oil? I’d be inclined to add a 1/2 quart to the sump and see what happens. My guess is that it’s got a 6 quart pan on it.

Just my $0.02
No, no issues with foaming or bubbles whatsoever. Your suggestion is right in line with my thinking. My plan was to pickup an additional quart when we go on Friday. Thanks again! (y)

Hi guys,
I did my first oil change on my '78 Nova with a 5.7 Vortec crate motor. I used Supertech full synthetic 5W30 and a Supertech ST5 filter. That said, I partially filled the filter before installation and added the remaining contents of the 5 quart jug, ran the engine and checked for leaks. After letting the oil drain back into the the pan, I checked the level and it's consistently right on the add line. any thoughts as to what's going on here? 6qt. pan? Dipstick looks to be a factory one. Yellow ring style handle and tube is not chrome. The previous owner could not offer me any info as he didn't change the oil in the 2 years he owned it. No not implying this was right. Was driven sparingly by him, hence his philosophy Thanks in advance!
Let it warm up and see how high it goes after

Guys,
mystery solved! Although my engine isn't technically a Ramlet, I found a part number on my dipstick which is GM Part number 10190942. Please read the accompanying text! The RAMJET 350 engine includes an oil pan, GM Part Number 10242245 (5 quart excluding filter) This pan was originally designed for marine and truck usage and may cause interference problems when installed in certain applications. Check for clearance before installation. The oil dipstick for the RAMJET 350 engine is on the right-hand (passenger) side of the block. Check for clearance when replacing an early-model block with a left-hand dipstick configuration. The RAMJET 350 engine does not come with an oil dipstick. When using the oil pan supplied with the engine, the recommended oil dipstick and oil dipstick tube part numbers are 10190942 and 12552920 respectively. The oil pan used on the ZZ4 engine, GM Part Number 12528916 (new PN 12557558 ), is recommended as a replacement. This is a four-quart, right-hand dipstick oil pan and gasket

Back