2015 Subaru Forester battery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Subaru new in Feb. Did not drive it for a few days and turned the key and the entire electrical system seemed to cycle on and off. It would not even try and start. Put my smart charger on it and it took many hours to get it to 100% at 6 amps.

The battery says 390 CCA but looks more like a 500 CCA in footprint. Used my Solar battery tester and it said 491 CCA.

I could find nothing left on like a dome light. I had been home during those days driving my Jeep so I would have seen a light left on at night.

Of course its under warranty and with no snow, I do not really need it until Dec.

Last edited:
On my 2013, you have to be very resolute about closing the hatch, or it won't quite latch, leaving a light on. Perhaps the new body style has the same problem.

Mine is equipped with the smaller battery, as the Foresters with manual transmissions were. I have no idea why they did that; the autos got the larger battery. It barely starts in the coldest weather.

Quote:
The battery says 390 CCA but looks more like a 500 CCA in footprint. Used my Solar battery tester and it said 491 CCA.

I highly doubt you were testing it at 0ºF.

On both my 2009 and my 2015, anything left on including headlights or interior lights, turn off after a period of time to save the battery.

I have no idea what the CCA was on the battery in my 2012 Legacy or my 2014 XV Crosstrek, but based on what I've experienced with cold weather starts, they're pretty unimpressive. Very little margin for error with them.

Leave it for a few days and then have it towed off to the dealer when it does not start.

You'll likely get a new battery.

I'm sorry but you bought a 2015 Subaru to only drive in the winter?

I agree with what rjundi said.

Meh...

Our 98,99, and 15 foresters all spec'd low CCA batts in the 360-400 CCA range. The way I see it Subaru designed an efficient starting system, and sized the batt accordingly. It makes them easy to jump, but the Rc is kinda low. It makes replacement a breeze, you would have to try hard to find a batt that doesn't meet spec.

On a somewhat related note, there have been times where I have been hard up and have needed a batt for one of the older Subaru's and have looked at a high performance garden batt and thought "well its better than spec at half the price..."

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I'm sorry but you bought a 2015 Subaru to only drive in the winter?

I agree with what rjundi said.

No, more complicated than that. Wife has a leased more sporty car (FWD) and drives it except in the winter when she now drives the Subaru. The Subaru is for long trips where I might not want to take my 2001 Jeep that far and to eventually replace the Jeep. At this point living in the country outside of Albany with a dirt drive and dirt road, we need two 4WD or AWD vehicles in the winter.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
On my 2013, you have to be very resolute about closing the hatch, or it won't quite latch, leaving a light on. Perhaps the new body style has the same problem.

Mine is equipped with the smaller battery, as the Foresters with manual transmissions were. I have no idea why they did that; the autos got the larger battery. It barely starts in the coldest weather.

I think I would have seen the light if the hatch was left open.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back