Presure on Extra Servies with Free Oil Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Stewie
That's why they are called stealerships and shouldn't be trusted

What are they stealing? They're offering a service, not forcing it. The customer has the right to say no. It doesn't sound like any of the offered services were unneeded.

Originally Posted By: GiveMeAVowel
Originally Posted By: Stewie
That's why they are called stealerships and shouldn't be trusted

True...

I don't think there is anything wrong with a shop indicating that you need other possible services, however, using a very hard sell is unethical.

What's unethical about it? Just say no.

Just like lunches, there is no such animal as a "free" oil change,
Only question is how (and when) you are going to pay for it.

My last two pickups the dealer offered the free oil change thing. One even claimed free lifetime warranty on the first of these two pickups. On that one, only they could do any work or service on the vehicle. On both of them I said thank you and never returned to the dealer again for anything. I do my own oil and fluid changes. Only return to dealer if a warranty issue. Haven't had a warranty issue with my personal vehicles for a couple of decades.

Free is a relative term. If I have to drive over 60 miles to the dealer to get it done, and I have to take time off from my business to do that, free ends up costing more than if I did it myself. And I am not confident that the $10 hr "tech" they have doing the oil change will properly grease all the points under my pickup, let alone do the oil change properly.

My Mazda dealer gives free 5k mile oil changes for as long as you own the car. I've never had an issue with them trying to upsell anything.

I've always felt that the cause of most 'torn' CV boots was the use of unscrupulous mechanics who made them torn as a way of 'creating' business.

No evidence to back up my belief though. Just gut feeling.

I actually saw an employee use a knife to cut one of my CVJ boots. I was have new tires put on and I was walking away, I turned and walked back to ask a question when I saw him reach up and cut the boot, box cutter knife in hand. He turned and saw me and tried to say he was just looking. I called his manager over and we pulled the boot and saw a nice clean knife cut. Sears bought a new CV axel from the dealer & installed it. They gave me $400 in Sears credit. The employee was fired on the spot. This was a Sears auto store years ago. I never would have believed this kind of thing happened until I saw it. I now watch ALL work being performed on my vehicles that I can't do myself. Ed

Originally Posted By: hpb
Having changed plenty of torn CV boots in my time, believe me, there are far less messy ways to "create" business...

Tons of labor, and messy--or do they slap a "rebuilt" axle in and charge huge markup?

Originally Posted By: Eddie
I actually saw an employee use a knife to cut one of my CVJ boots. I was have new tires put on and I was walking away, I turned and walked back to ask a question when I saw him reach up and cut the boot, box cutter knife in hand. He turned and saw me and tried to say he was just looking. I called his manager over and we pulled the boot and saw a nice clean knife cut. Sears bought a new CV axel from the dealer & installed it. They gave me $400 in Sears credit. The employee was fired on the spot. This was a Sears auto store years ago. I never would have believed this kind of thing happened until I saw it. I now watch ALL work being performed on my vehicles that I can't do myself. Ed

Wowzer. Good eye, and I would not blame you for always watching now.

Originally Posted By: pitzel
I've always felt that the cause of most 'torn' CV boots was the use of unscrupulous mechanics who made them torn as a way of 'creating' business.

No evidence to back up my belief though. Just gut feeling.

Makes me wonder now.

When my GF and I were visiting her aunt in Indy last fall, she had to take her Vue to the dealer to get the bearing replaced. Apparently the CV axle needed replaced too because of a torn boot that had let contaminants in.. He told her you couldn't buy these things new and that it had to be sent away to be rebuilt. She is "friends" with the mechanics so I just kept my mouth shut.. Heck even my GF was questioning his integrity. Turns out, you can buy new as well as rebuilt ones just about anywhere. I want to say her bill was around $1000 for everything. (Bearing, axle shaft and I think one other minor DIY sort of PM.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back