2001 1500 Suburban w/ 5.3L ... Newest addition to the fleet….

IMG_5862.jpeg
IMG_5861.jpeg
IMG_5860.jpeg
IMG_5859.jpeg
IMG_5858.jpeg
IMG_5857.jpeg
Just walked into this one: $500, new tires, one owner, never wrecked, glove box full of repair/ maintenance receipts and a broadcast sheet to kill for. Heavy duty suspension, trailer package, 3:73 gears, top of the line interior, 282k miles. The transmission was leaking terribly so I had the local trans shop overhaul it. $2500 later she’s tight. Runs like a scalded dog! Prev owner was big on maintaining it. Had been parked for a couple of months so they decided it should go.
Yesterday gave her an oil change, new tail light covers and a fuel filter - the pump was very loud and pretty sure it was the original filter, couldn’t blow through it. Tore it apart, looked like tar in the there. Pump quiet now.
I am amazed at how hard this thing accelerates and drives, even the a/c works.
So it’s in the fleet and my SIL is using it for her chores - she’s wanted one forever.
‘Enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:
Dang you are lucky. I would have scooped that up in a heartbeat I’ve been looking for one of those for awhile. One of the few Chevy vehicles I’d consider owning. Is this a 5.3? We had a 2005 Suburban traded in at my dealership last April with 500k on it only ever dealer serviced. They still have it sitting up there and I want it so bad but I have enough projects otherwise I’d scoop it up.

$3000 all said and done? That's a steal, That drivers seat can't possibly be original, It's in perfect shape. I'm guessing they did a rebuild on the trans. $2500 can't be for a leak repair.

It’s a 2001, and the trans got a full overhaul, with new torque converter. The engine is the 5.3. I figured at $500, if all else failed I could sell the wheels and tires to cover it. After lubricating all the hinges locks etc this thing doesn’t have a single sqeak or rattle in it - it’s solid as can be. The former owner hated selling it, lots of memories with the kids in it, vacations etc. But it was taking up space and was due for ins renewal so she let it go. No longer has Dexcool, just plain ol ordinary coolant but it’s had several flushes over the years. Holds 25 psi oil press @ hot idle and 40 running. Temp is steady with a/c on, the radiator is recent. So we start driving it and see what’s happens.

OP -
When you post a thread, how about letting us know in the title what the year/make/model is?
Clickbait titles are not helpful to people who want to use the "search" function.

Locked until you PM me with dets and I'll update the info for you and unlock the thread.

NOTE: title updated and thread unlocked

Last edited:
Had a pickup version of this as a work truck in 2002ish. "Scalded dog" is an apt description, truck was a wee bit overpowered for something the help drove. One of the guys totalled it by hitting a bridge abutment with the nose at 100mph road raging. Lol.

Had a different one with the 4.7(?), whatever the smaller V8 was. Definitely slower, but more fitting for the workers driving it.

Nice looking truck! Previous owner did a great job taking care of the interior
Are we looking at the same pictures? Might be a nice find...but nice looking? It looks like the paint may have some issues......

Why? It's not going to rust, and there will be zero pain if a door ding happens. Flies under the radar of everyone, completely non-descript. And no pressure to ever wash.
Just an opinion, some folks like shiny trucks. There are also people in HOA neighborhoods that couldn't keep it cause it's kinda ugly. Haha :) If it hadn't needed the trans work, I almost definitely would have had it painted.

If it were 4x4 and was going to be a brush truck, then it would stay as is, or get a spray can job just to look uniform.

Different strokes! :)

I had an '03 2500. Apparently the PO had complaints about rattles or squeaks and someone had gone thru every interior panel and put something like mastik behind them.

It wasn't really a problem but it occurred to me there's A LOT of plastic cladding in that entire interior that could make noise -- way more than the pickups because of the rear cargo area. I only thought of this because OP says his is noise-free.

Back