Purolator tears still an issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
No professional would even dare to enter the hilarious agenda driven hogwash that this thread, amongst the other threads here that overflow and pollute the internet with absolute nonsense. Stand around and profess all you want about how filter media cannot be damaged by a filter cutter. In the hands of an amateur, anything (bad or amazing) is possible, sort of like how the puro haters consistently refuse basic statistical scientific analysis.

This has to be 100% trolling ... I can't imagine anyone actually saying this and it being taken seriously by anyone here reading it.
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
Originally Posted By: Dallas69
I won't buy one again.
Agree; it is not even worth it when there there are filters that have the security of wire backing on the media and are guaranteed for x miles. Speaking for myself, though the FRAM Ultras are a few dollars more, since I use them for at least 15K, the cost is probably less overall--not to mention the peace of mind and the time that I save by not changing every 5 or 7K.

Im glad you brought that up. The Fram Ultra really is the only logical choice.
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: jk_636
So we blamed the media, but that was debunked since all filters Don't fail.

If you'd keep up with all this, it's been said many times by many members that it's most likely 3 factor formula that causes the failures. The two most prominent are the brittle media in conjunction with very widely spaced pleats with a large V-spread. The force of the oil pushing on those particular pleats causes too much side stress at the ends where those pleats are potted into the end cap, and the result is that the brittle media ends up tearing. The 3rd and weakest factor is the usage of the filter over the OCI. Of course filters used during a cold harsh winter (thick oil) have to withstand more delta-p than those in the summer time.

What brittle media? I just cut one open and the media was plenty stiff. Just the same as any other manufacturer I have cut open and manipulated?

There is no brittle media. Perhaps it gets brittle after being in use for way to long (I.E. extended OCIS that the filter was never designed for) but first hand experience shows that the media is, in fact, just fine when used appropriately.

If the media was brittle, all filters made with the same media would tear. Not just the few on here.

Look at GM. All of their late model vehicles were defective and they all failed. That is direct cause and effect. You cannot say the same thing about Purolator (well you could, but it wouldn't make any sense.)

Bottom line: a couple filters tore under questionable circumstances, the BITOG community over reacted, now things are fine and people are starting to realize there is no cause for panic.

I like how you always try to down play it ... "a couple". I wouldn't call 60+ a "couple".
eek.gif

And just who are these people who "are stating to realize there is no cause for panic."? You think those so called people are out buying Purolators for their next oil change?
whistle.gif

Just because people dont argue on this sub forum doesn't mean they dont exist. There are many more people that read these forums and understand this is all hogwash than you may realize.

Originally Posted By: Stewie
Oh yeah purolators never tear is the frampire in BITOG that make people believe that they have torn by ripping the media apart before posting pictures.
smirk.gif

You will soon realize that people don't cut their canister filters open yet they put in some review without facts (CUTTING CANISTER OPEN) and review filter media for tears, uneven pleats or damage.

39.gif
18.gif

Im not even sure what you are trying to say here....

Originally Posted By: FutureDoc

Only a misconception by amateur forum users trying to defy logic. In a world of winners and losers, there are some folks that DNF.

Originally Posted By: k1rod

262br44.jpg

In the photos you will see some groves cut in the filtering media and a burn mark or two on the metal end caps. This was where my grinder went a little too deep.

You can eat your humble sandwich any day friend.

What were the circumstances around this filter? How did this happen? I have not seen this photo before.

Originally Posted By: webfors
Cptbarkey. Your behaviour on this board with respect to this topic is the precise definition of a troll. Everyone sees this but you.

There have been others before you, and there will no doubt be others after you. We've seen it all before. I'll give credit where credit is due though, the troll is strong within you.

What makes him a troll? The fact that he has an opinion that is different than yours and he doesn't back down when others try and push him around?

I dont agree with everything he says, but he has a right to say it. It doesn't make him a troll.

I won't buy one again.
Agree; it is not even worth it when there there are filters that have the security of wire backing on the media and are guaranteed for x miles. Speaking for myself, though the FRAM Ultras are a few dollars more, since I use them for at least 15K, the cost is probably less overall--not to mention the peace of mind and the time that I save by not changing every 5 or 7K.
Im glad you brought that up. The Fram Ultra really is the only logical choice. div>
What other filter can be used (and guaranteed) to be ran for 15K for the same cost and same quality of construction? I do not run short OCIs like you do and there is no Purolator that can be used for 15K. Run one of your Purolators for 15K and let us see how it fares.

I won't buy one again.
Im glad you brought that up. The Fram Ultra really is the only logical choice. div>
What other filter can be used (and guaranteed) to be ran for 15K for the same cost and same quality of construction? I do not run short OCIs like you do and there is no Purolator that can be used for 15K. Run one of your Purolators for 15K and let us see how it fares.

I dont think that 5k and 7k OCIs qualify as "short."

The last 3k mile one was conventional and severe service.

But yes, the Purolator Synthetic is more than capable of running 15k miles if needed. I have posted pictures of one that was taken to 7k miles and it could have easily doubled that mileage without issue.

And you put way to much faith into these "guarntees" that in reality are not worth the paper they are printed on.

If you'd keep up with all this, it's been said many times by many members that it's most likely 3 factor formula that causes the failures. The two most prominent are the brittle media in conjunction with very widely spaced pleats with a large V-spread. The force of the oil pushing on those particular pleats causes too much side stress at the ends where those pleats are potted into the end cap, and the result is that the brittle media ends up tearing. The 3rd and weakest factor is the usage of the filter over the OCI. Of course filters used during a cold harsh winter (thick oil) have to withstand more delta-p than those in the summer time.

What brittle media? I just cut one open and the media was plenty stiff. Just the same as any other manufacturer I have cut open and manipulated?

There is no brittle media. Perhaps it gets brittle after being in use for way to long (I.E. extended OCIS that the filter was never designed for) but first hand experience shows that the media is, in fact, just fine when used appropriately.

If the media was brittle, all filters made with the same media would tear. Not just the few on here.

You really don't get it - yes, it's stiff and brittle. The tearing mechanism is a multi-factor issue, and brittle/easily torn media is one of the main factors. There have been quite a few members who have commented on just how brittle and easily torn it is once the filter is cut open and the media is pushed sideways with a finger ... just as it gets pushed sideways by oil flow then the pleats are widely spread out near the seam.

Look at GM. All of their late model vehicles were defective and they all failed. That is direct cause and effect. You cannot say the same thing about Purolator (well you could, but it wouldn't make any sense.)

And just what are you talking about here?

But yes, the Purolator Synthetic is more than capable of running 15k miles if needed. I have posted pictures of one that was taken to 7k miles and it could have easily doubled that mileage without issue.

LoL ... it's only rated to 10K miles. You're the guy who says only run Purolators to 3K miles when Purolator says they can go as far as the vehicle manufacturer's recommendation. But now you're saying to push their full synthetic to 5K miles over it's maximum rating? LoL ... ok.
crazy.gif

LoL ... it's only rated to 10K miles. You're the guy who says only run Purolators to 3K miles when Purolator says they can go as far as the vehicle manufacturer's recommendation. But now you're saying to push their full synthetic to 5K miles over it's maximum rating? LoL ... ok.
crazy.gif

You continually misquote what I say on purpose.

My recommendation for safe operation was classics to 3 and pureones to 5.

You need to stop muddying the waters with nonsense. It may be rated for 10, but I pushed one close to that and it had more than enough life left to go a lot longer.

Purolator synthetics, once again, are just as good (if not better) than fram ultras.

You really don't get it - yes, it's stiff and brittle. The tearing mechanism is a multi-factor issue, and brittle/easily torn media is one of the main factors. There have been quite a few members who have commented on just how brittle and easily torn it is once the filter is cut open and the media is pushed sideways with a finger ... just as it gets pushed sideways by oil flow then the pleats are widely spread out near the seam.

And just what are you talking about here?

This is the second time in a week you have accused me of lying. seems like that is the hat trick for Frampires in the face of a losing argument.

The media (on every puro product I have cut open) has never been brittle, nor could it be torn by just pushing on a pleat with a finger.

Oh and as for the GM issue, just try and put the keys in the ignition. You will figure out what the problem is rather quickly.

crazy.gif

You continually misquote what I say on purpose.

My recommendation for safe operation was classics to 3 and pureones to 5.

You need to stop muddying the waters with nonsense. It may be rated for 10, but I pushed one close to that and it had more than enough life left to go a lot longer.

Purolator synthetics, once again, are just as good (if not better) than fram ultras.

I'm not mis-quoting you ... read your own words. You said exactly what I concluded you said.
crazy.gif

This is the second time in a week you have accused me of lying. seems like that is the hat trick for Frampires in the face of a losing argument.

The media (on every puro product I have cut open) has never been brittle, nor could it be torn by just pushing on a pleat with a finger.

Oh and as for the GM issue, just try and put the keys in the ignition. You will figure out what the problem is rather quickly.

I never said you lied, so stop accusing me of that. How is saying that the media is brittle when you think it's not makes you a lair? You really need to step back and get a grip.

I have seen plenty of Purolators with brittle media ... so are you calling me a liar?
crazy.gif

I certainly would not call them long in a world where many vehicles now have 10K OCIs.

Not according to Purolator, unless you disregard what they claim.

And you put way to much faith into these "guarntees" that in reality are not worth the paper they are printed on.
Wrong, my faith comes from actual use. I had a P1 tear in three places so I stopped using them. I ran a FRAM Ultra and after 15K miles of use of use--it looked liked it could have gone another 15K. Show me a Purolator (not an MC) used for 15K that looks like my Ultra and I will be impressed.

Originally Posted By: webfors
Cptbarkey. Your behaviour on this board with respect to this topic is the precise definition of a troll. Everyone sees this but you.

There have been others before you, and there will no doubt be others after you. We've seen it all before. I'll give credit where credit is due though, the troll is strong within you.

I typically never accuse someone of trolling, because the accusation is a cowardly trolling attempt in itself. Chase your tail on that topic too for a couple years.

The last 3k mile one was conventional and severe service.

It is not.

My gasoline "buses" (Ford 5.4) are under a severe service rotation at 5,000mi. We consume 680 gallons of fuel, log 450+ hours, maintain an average speed of just over 10.7mph (0-35mph) with stop-go every 200 yards. Oh, and it happens to be up-down in the mountains. We burn through pads, rotors and tires every 20K. Napa Syn + Wix. Not an issue and not one torn filter. You think I would consider a filter know to be torn at a short 5,000? Nope.

I simply stopped using any of their products. To my knowledge there has been no grenaded engines, but to continue to buy filters that may fail and continue to support a company that has done nothing about the issue is not within my realm of acceptance.

Will I purchase new Purolator oil filters, NO, will I use the two PL24651 and one PL14670 I still have, yes. I can't return them and the engines they go on are spotless from great maintenance since new. I'm sure in the 5,000-7,500 mile usage with quality synthetic oil and a clean engine any "damage" will be "minimal" if any, and not effect their engine life. Rust will kill my vehicles long before an engine mechanical problem. But it is sad that Purolator has produced oil filters that are problematic in the last few years. I grew up with a Purolator plant in the next town over.

Whimsey

As an OT to my response I'll Dremal cut the PL24651 filter I'm about to take off my wife's Exploder. I apologize I don't have a oil filter cutters certificate but I'll do the best I can
grin.gif

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: Whimsey
As an OT to my response I'll Dremal cut the PL24651 filter I'm about to take off my wife's Exploder. I apologize I don't have a oil filter cutters certificate but I'll do the best I can
grin.gif

Whimsey

craig's list?

Purolator's products tear, buy something else. Pretty simple. They don't even reply to questions anymore, just flat out ignore the issue.

Buy something else. You have many options whether it be Wix, Fram or your favorite odd ball brand.

Glad I stopped using PureOnes when they went from Blue to yellow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back