Purolator tears still an issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
You can eat your humble sandwich any day friend.
Boloney! There is a difference between using a tool designed to cut filters open and a using a grinder/snips. Give us all a break from your trollish bull. There is no way a filter can be torn by using a filter cutter.

See here in photo three...notice how far below the cut the filter housing rests? There have been plenty shown with tears that were not damaged by opening them.

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
Boloney! There is a difference between using a tool designed to cut filters open and a using a grinder/snips. Give us all a break from your trollish bull. There is no way a filter can be torn by using a filter cutter.

No professional would even dare to enter the hilarious agenda driven hogwash that this thread, amongst the other threads here that overflow and pollute the internet with absolute nonsense. Stand around and profess all you want about how filter media cannot be damaged by a filter cutter. In the hands of an amateur, anything (bad or amazing) is possible, sort of like how the puro haters consistently refuse basic statistical scientific analysis.

Last edited:
No professional would even dare to enter the hilarious agenda driven hogwash that this thread...
This is funny, because you keep interjecting the most ridiculous reasons why the filters have torn instead of just saying that Purolator has had some torn filters--whether or not it is a large scale or ongoing issue is not within our scope to determine but to keep defending the fact there was not/is not a problem is frankly...stupid.

18.gif

994f80.jpg

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
No professional would even dare to enter the hilarious agenda driven hogwash that this thread...
This is funny, because you keep interjecting the most ridiculous reasons why the filters have torn instead of just saying that Purolator has had some torn filters--whether or not it is a large scale or ongoing issue is not within our scope to determine but to keep defending the fact there was not/is not a problem is frankly...stupid.

This is the part where you cut open the filter and have a wet oily mess on the concrete (frankly illegal probably in your city limits) and have no legal recourse against the manufacturer. I'm still trying to run it through my head the scenario where I ship in a cut open filter after my engine grenaded and expect someone to take me seriously. But here, why dont you volunteer how versus professing expert knowledge on the subject.

Last edited:

262br44.jpg

That is funny because ZERO of the SIXTY+ filter failures have that type of pattern.

Still DNF my friend, DNF.

Purolator looks to be DNF as well... as in DID NOT FILTER

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FutureDoc

That is funny because ZERO of the SIXTY+ filter failures have that type of pattern.

sort of like how the puro haters consistently refuse basic statistical scientific analysis.

Only a misconception by amateur forum users trying to defy logic. In a world of winners and losers, there are some folks that DNF.

Originally Posted By: k1rod

262br44.jpg

In the photos you will see some groves cut in the filtering media and a burn mark or two on the metal end caps. This was where my grinder went a little too deep.

I am fully convinced you are here only to troll. You sure are good for a laugh.

How is this similar to the conventional Purolator tear?

This is the part where you cut open the filter and have a wet oily mess on the concrete (frankly illegal probably in your city limits) and have no legal recourse against the manufacturer.
Really? Do you see a wet oily mess in any of my photos? Be sure you know what you are talking about before inserting your foot in your mouth all the way to your posterior. What legal recourse? Purolator to date has done NOTHING, ZERO, ZAP about any of the filters sent to them for examination except to tell the sender they are at fault or post a canned response. I would not waste my time sending anything to Purolator and to cut my losses and risks, I simply stopped using any of their products. To my knowledge there has been no grenaded engines, but to continue to buy filters that may fail and continue to support a company that has done nothing about the issue is not within my realm of acceptance.

sort of like how the puro haters consistently refuse basic statistical scientific analysis.

Yes, I am "completely unaware" (scarcasm) of statistical analysis with my research degree and coursework on quantitative analysis, experimental statistic, empirical research design, and Limnology (ok, that last one was just a course I took for fun). That is why I said ...

60+ filters [failures] by multiple users with an average run-time of 5,300mi and a median of 5,000 miles with reported failures at 1,300 miles, 3,000 miles, 5,000 miles.

Sure, it is basic descriptive stats but since no puro-lovers are bring data...err... good luck.

Trolls are fun. They just provide a medium in which those with true grievances can continue to make their point clear without talking to themselves. Socrates did it, why can't we.

Last edited:

Trolls are fun. They just provide a medium in which those with true grievances can continue to make their point clear without talking to themselves. Socrates did it, why can't we.

I typically never accuse someone of trolling, because the accusation is a cowardly trolling attempt in itself. Chase your tail on that topic too for a couple years.

So you don't consider responding to every logical argument with a stream of invective or some nonsensical argument of media damage being caused by people cutting open Purolator oil filters where this damage is seen only with these products to be trolling?
The simple reality is that we have seen a pattern of the same type of media failure on Purolator Classic and P1 oil filters.
No amount of irrevlevant argument from you and your two fellow travelers can change that fact.
Nobody here is too worried, other than you.
Nobody here has any personal axe to grind and prior to the widespread findings of torn media, Purolators were considered a go-to choice here in moderately priced oil filters.
We've simply put Purolator on our "ignore" lists, as we some do with some members.
Time to let this thread die a natural death, unless you think you can cane the horse back to life.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
So you don't consider responding to every logical argument with a stream of invective or some nonsensical argument of media damage being caused by people cutting open Purolator oil filters where this damage is seen only with these products to be trolling?
The simple reality is that we have seen a pattern of the same type of media failure on Purolator Classic and P1 oil filters.
No amount of irrevlevant argument from you and your two fellow travelers can change that fact.
Nobody here is too worried, other than you.
Nobody here has any personal axe to grind and prior to the widespread findings of torn media, Purolators were considered a go-to choice here in moderately priced oil filters.
We've simply put Purolator on our "ignore" lists, as we some do with some members.
Time to let this thread die a natural death, unless you think you can cane the horse back to life.

all interesting words eloquently stated, except not a lick of it is true, and you speak for yourself only. try as you might, only moderators have control over discussions here and they obviously have little interest in containing what i see as a concerted effort to bash a product with little scientific evidence. until that time, enjoy my and others opinions.

Last edited:
You want to talk scientific method?
Okay.
Scientific discovery often begins as anecdotal observation, where something is observed that seems anamolous.
A hypothesis is made and experiments are designed to test that hypotesis.
Lest say that our hypothesis is that brand P oil filters suffer media failures at a far greater rate than all other brands.
The experimental design would be to run a population of oil filters of all brands in various applications and conditions over various intervals and then cut them all open to see whether brand P oil filters suffered a higher than typical rate of media failure.
Guess what?
In this very sub-forum, we have the results of this experiment, and even better, it was entirely blind in that none of the users knew that they were involved.
The results are in.
Brand P filters show a higher rate of media failure than the population of oil filters as a whole.
I never said I was a mod, I merely suggested that some members should end their defense of the indefensible.

Okay.
Scientific discovery often begins as anecdotal observation, where something is observed that seems anamolous.
Lest say that our hypothesis is that brand P oil filters suffer media failures at a far greater rate than all other brands.
The experimental design would be to run a population of oil filters of all brands in various applications and conditions over various intervals and then cut them all open to see whether brand P oil filters suffered a higher than typical rate of media failure.
Guess what?
In this very sub-forum, we have the results of this experiment, and even better, it was entirely blind in that none of the users knew that they were involved.
The results are in.
Brand P filters show a higher rate of media failure than the population of oil filters as a whole.
I never said I was a mod, I merely suggested that some members should end their defense of the indefensible.

once again i applaud your excellent oratory. offhand you forgot things like controls and actual evidence versus heresy. i have to kindly observe that science is still left at the bus stop and missed it's ride again.

I guess that all of the photos of all of the brands of filters were faked, then?
Shucks, who knew?
Thanks for the heads-up, barkey.

Okay.
Guess what?
The results are in.

once again i applaud your excellent oratory. offhand you forgot things like controls and actual evidence versus heresy. i have to kindly observe that science is still left at the bus stop and missed it's ride again.

You see what you've done, fdcg27? Now he's calling you a heretic!
crackmeup2.gif

Cptbarkey. Your behaviour on this board with respect to this topic is the precise definition of a troll. Everyone sees this but you.

There have been others before you, and there will no doubt be others after you. We've seen it all before. I'll give credit where credit is due though, the troll is strong within you.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
Well lets see. There have been over 60 failures, many with multiple tears. All the tears follow a similiar pattern of tearing near the crimp. During that same time there have been barely a handful of failures of all the other brands - they are very rare. There have been hundreds of cut open filters here in the last year.

Tearolator earned their nickname.

All those attributed tears are actually just amateur backyard tribologists damaging the media while opening them "near the crimp."

LoL, that's such a ridiculous claim ... only a shill would make, or someone with zero common sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back