Dial pressure gauges tend to be most unreliable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a brass nice made in USA tire gauge with a nice easy to read dial.

It had been dropped on the shop floor numerous times, but it still worked.

I was visiting the Dealer for a inspection and they gave me a speech how my tire pressure was way too high. I'm like [censored], I check it very week. I built a comparator jig using a portable air tank and compared the air tanks gauge to my tire gauge. My tire gauge was reading 8 p.s.i. LOWER, which means I was putting 8 p.s.i. higher in my tires!

I had the same problem. I checked my gauge against 4 others and it was almost 10 psi higher. The others were within 2 psi.

Looking now for a digital model.

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
Had a brass nice made in USA tire gauge with a nice easy to read dial.

It had been dropped on the shop floor numerous times, but it still worked.

I was visiting the Dealer for a inspection and they gave me a speech how my tire pressure was way too high. I'm like [censored], I check it very week. I built a comparator jig using a portable air tank and compared the air tanks gauge to my tire gauge. My tire gauge was reading 8 p.s.i. LOWER, which means I was putting 8 p.s.i. higher in my tires!

Dropping them on the floor does not help the accuracy of any gauge.

Unless you have access to a certified gauge of some sort, best way to achieve SOME lever of accuracy is to get 5 gauges (Borrow them from your buddies) and test them against each other. Throw out the ones with the highest and lowest readings, average the other three, and use that number to adjust from the reading of the most average gauge. Not foolproof, but it should get you in range.

I have an Auto Meter gauge and the old style stick gauge and they read within a pound of each other. Dropping any gauge that uses a bourdon tube affects their accuracy.

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
I have an Auto Meter gauge and the old style stick gauge and they read within a pound of each other. Dropping any gauge that uses a bourdon tube affects their accuracy.
+ 1

From what I've read, digital tire pressure gauges are typically more accurate and tend to hold the accuracy better.

I remember reading a really long website of a guy that tested a bunch of gauges. I ended up buying an Accutire model on Amazon, not even an expensive one, less than $15 if I recall correctly. I think I got the Accutire MS-4021B.

Originally Posted By: KzMitch
DROPPED pressure gauges tend to be most unreliable.

This.

Also:

Round tires tend to get flat more. (When you run over a nail.)

Gasoline engines tend to stop running more often. (When you run out of gas.)

At work if a calibrated gauge or measuring instrument gets dropped it's taken out of service even if it checks OK against a known good one.

Was expecting a comparison of 10 new round dial gauges vs 10 new digital or stick gauges...

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Originally Posted By: KzMitch
DROPPED pressure gauges tend to be most unreliable.

This.

Also:

Round tires tend to get flat more. (When you run over a nail.)

Gasoline engines tend to stop running more often. (When you run out of gas.)

At work if a calibrated gauge or measuring instrument gets dropped it's taken out of service even if it checks OK against a known good one.

Was expecting a comparison of 10 new round dial gauges vs 10 new digital or stick gauges...

Yeah the title is a bit misleading. I came expecting a bunch of different tire gauges tested against one another.
Oh and you forgot; engines tend to break when they are starved of oil. This is bitog after all..

laugh all you like, I have a pistol grip round dial air gun that has a trigger to and a thumb purge button. Its my 2nd one in 10 years. Yes if you drop them (fairly hard) they break. Im careful to unplug mine from my compressor and hang in back on the nail when not in use.. Both of the ones ive owned returned readings within a pound or two of my old stainless steal stick gauge.

Ive given less than $10 for both.

Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1
laugh all you like, I have a pistol grip round dial air gun that has a trigger to and a thumb purge button. Its my 2nd one in 10 years. Yes if you drop them (fairly hard) they break. Im careful to unplug mine from my compressor and hang in back on the nail when not in use.. Both of the ones ive owned returned readings within a pound or two of my old stainless steal stick gauge.

Ive given less than $10 for both.

Me too. Cheap and dead accurate, very convenient to use.

It's not a rolls royce and I don't expect it to be, but it works well for us.

We have an awful lot of tires to check around here...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back