Tire pressure gauges- don't let the package provide confidence in the measurements

I'm also SOOOO resistant to digital gauges. I don't want just one more thing that needs batteries

Now, if someone would incorporate solar like my Mitu solar calipers, now you're cookin' with gas, er light!!

I have a pencil type gauge where the reading could be adjusted (calibrated). It had a tiny hole in the side of the body where you stick straightened paper clip (or similar) into the hole and screw the scale in or out to calibrate. I think it was Tru-Flate gauge. Problem is, what do you calibrate it to?

I just go with whatever reading my Milton 506-W inflator reports and stick with that.

A few psi either way is OK but 8 psi?

I can check mine against a dead weight tester or a Fluke documenting NIST traceable calibrator. I really don’t think that kind of accuracy is necessary, but repeatability certainly is. A pound or 2 off all of the time can be accounted for. A different reading every time the gauge is used will be a problem.

I spent a lot of hours as an instrument apprentice using dead weight testers. Wish I had access to one now.

The stupid thing about dial gauges is that they sacrifice accuracy and readability by being an inappropriate range. They are almost all 0-100 psi when 0-60 psi would cover 99 percent of requirements and be potentially near twice as accurate into the bargain. These things are marketed as if a high range was a good thing when in fact for 99 percent of us it's the exact opposite.

I like a dead weight tester because they rely on basic physics and can’t be wrong unless someone beat up the weights. In my training, we were told always to size a pressure guage or similar instrument to read operating pressure in about the center of the range because of the way the mechanism worked. That being said, a dial type guage would be correctly sized at 100 PSI. The stick type gauges wouldn’t have such a requirement.

My dial gauge reads 4 PSI too high, consistently across the range in which I use it. It's a box store cheapie with a rubber anti-shock coating.

My digital gauges stay consistent against each other and the presumed reference. The mechanism is the easiest to manufacture cheaply and get consistent results.

My accugauge was off my 4 psi when compared to 2 others. It turned out it had been assembled one tooth off internally. No kidding. I took it apart, jumped it forward one tooth, and it has been good ever since.

I roll with a JACO ElitePro digital 0-100psi. Has a very flexible hose about a foot, and swivels at the gauge and at the valve stem fitting. Works great for me. Even bought a branded pouch for it to sleep in (was under $5).

Gauge:
JACO ElitePro Digital Tire... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VV78RZ1?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Never spent $30+ on a tire gauge until this one, but I got tired of fighting with gauges on our 2 cars. Also replaced the 90 degree chuck on our inflator with a straight brass one that locks onto the stem. Very nice upgrade!

I've had an Accu-gage with a rubber boot for untold years and have sent it back twice for repair & recalibration. Both times for no charge. May be time again to test it against my free DT pencil gauge.

Me too, same as above. I have this and it’s very accurate. I also have another version with the hose, grabbed during Amazon deals. I would not think so, but say I fill my tires at Costco hot.

I check the car next morning cold, psi drops, and they are all within +\- 0.3 psi of one another.

Another plus? They don’t use coin cells, rather AAA.

JACO Elite Digital Tire Pressure Gauge - Professional Accuracy - 100 PSI https://a.co/d/duUgIT9

On a daily basis, I use this. Hooked up to my compressor, it’s easy, and accurate. I verified it against a couple of digital gauges when I first got it.

Back