Purolator tears still an issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
nquvb6.jpg

About 11k miles on this PL25608. Center sucked in a bit. Probably no holes, but when I put a bright light down the center, I can see a few light spots here and there.

Once again, this is a prime example of what happens when you run a good filter W A Y too long. No offense but this appears to be more operator error than filter failure IMHO.
sick.gif

Common sense should dictate that the only filter that is safe to use in a 10k+ OCI would be one that has synthetic media.

You have to use the right tool for the right job!!!
10.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JerryBob
Originally Posted By: jk_636
Once again, this is a prime example of what happens when you run a good filter W A Y too long. No offense but this appears to be more operator error than filter failure IMHO.
sick.gif

Common sense should dictate that the only filter that is safe to use in a 10k+ OCI would be one that has synthetic media.

You have to use the right tool for the right job!!!
10.gif

Texas? Common sense? Yeah, like sponsoring a "Draw the Prophet Mohammed" contest, and expecting nothing to happen??? LOL

Please stop stereotyping and making offensive and abrasive comments that are not on topic with the conversation at hand.

You people and your group think.
crazy.gif

No one is trying to change your collective perception of Purolator. That being said, it isn't right to fill the new members head with nonsense.

OP I encourage you to make your own decision. Dont take mine or anyone elses word for it. As for my experiences, I can honestly attest that I have NEVER had one tear. They have ALWAYS performed as advertised and I CONTINUALLY post pictures of filters that haven't torn.

Do some research and if nothing else, cut open the Puros you are currently using and post pictures for us to see!
cool.gif

Just like your rose colored glasses. Look its just an oil filter, there have been enough reports of tears that its not worth using them if its a concern.
Its not like its the cream of the crop and has some magical qualities that cant be found in another brand for the same money.

Originally Posted By: Trav
crazy.gif

No one is trying to change your collective perception of Purolator. That being said, it isn't right to fill the new members head with nonsense.

OP I encourage you to make your own decision. Dont take mine or anyone elses word for it. As for my experiences, I can honestly attest that I have NEVER had one tear. They have ALWAYS performed as advertised and I CONTINUALLY post pictures of filters that haven't torn.

Do some research and if nothing else, cut open the Puros you are currently using and post pictures for us to see!
cool.gif

Just like your rose colored glasses. Look its just an oil filter, there have been enough reports of tears that its not worth using them if its a concern.
Its not like its the cream of the crop and has some magical qualities that cant be found in another brand for the same money.

Exactly. It's like playing Russian Roulette. Why play? Pick another brand with less problems.

You guys just parrot the same argument back over and over again. It's not playing Russian roulette and there is no inherent risk in using them. I refuse to participate in group think. That never leads to anything productive (see ALL of the Fram ultra threads.). I use them becuase they have a high filtration rate, they are readily available and are built well. I have never had one fail and as such I'm going to continue to use them and advocate them to others.

If you don't like them, don't use them. But people come here for information. Everyone gets your point, I just offer a differing viewpoint that is substantiated by real world proof that I have produced over and over again. I don't care what filters you use, but there is no benefit in brainwashing new members and lurkers through homogenized information.

Originally Posted By: Garak

In any case, check the pictures in the filter subforum. There are plenty of torn filters still turning up, and they seem to come from only one manufacturer.

And that pretty much sums it up right there.

Pot calling the kettle black. The torn filter photos are apparently the only definitive proof and my flawless filters are irrelevant. Now I get it. Blind leading the blind eh?
wink.gif
lol good thing this is all about oil filters and not religion, politics etc.

Why take the chance buy a better filter we have been using them in our engine shop for as long as i can remember but we stopped about a year ago and sent them all back as did a lot of other shops i know of.. It's not worth the risk we changed to a jobber wix filter after trying a couple of other brands.

Bottom line buy a better filter.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
jk_636, just wait until you become a statistic on the Tearolator spreadsheet. You may change you mind.

Zeeosix made the same comment.
whistle.gif
I wont ever become a statistic. Dont hate, Purolate!
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Why take the chance buy a better filter we have been using them in our engine shop for as long as i can remember but we stopped about a year ago and sent them all back as did a lot of other shops i know of.. It's not worth the risk we changed to a jobber wix filter after trying a couple of other brands.

Bottom line buy a better filter.

Are these the filters you were using on the motors that cost "more than we make in a lifetime?"
smirk.gif

What is their to "risk"? I havent ever had one fail. No one I know that uses Purolators has ever had a bad experience either. And yes, there are still MANY people using them.

This whole thing is starting to become a circular argument. Everyone has their favorite filter, and Purolator just happens to be one of mine. You and your shop are entitled to use whatever you want, ill stick with Puros thanks.

Im not sure why everyone is so heck bent to try and get me to stop using filters that work just fine. You guys really should live a little. There are more filters out there besides Fram Ultras you know...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: skaughtz
Wow. I had no idea this was such a touchy subject haha. I have a PureOne on my Camry which is due for its next oil change in less than 2k (5k OCI on PP 0w-20). I think I will cut it open and check. A tear and I'll move on. No tear and I will continue putting them on my cars. Simple enough
smile.gif

That is a rational and objective opinion. Welcome to BITOG!

Common sense rules!

However:

You guys just parrot the same argument back over and over again. It's not playing Russian roulette and there is no inherent risk in using them. I refuse to participate in group think. That never leads to anything productive (see ALL of the Fram ultra threads.). I use them becuase they have a high filtration rate, they are readily available and are built well. I have never had one fail and as such I'm going to continue to use them and advocate them to others.

If you don't like them, don't use them. But people come here for information. Everyone gets your point, I just offer a differing viewpoint that is substantiated by real world proof that I have produced over and over again. I don't care what filters you use, but there is no benefit in brainwashing new members and lurkers through homogenized information.

I am glad that they are working well for you, and hope it continues that way.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kuato
Originally Posted By: skaughtz
Wow. I had no idea this was such a touchy subject haha. I have a PureOne on my Camry which is due for its next oil change in less than 2k (5k OCI on PP 0w-20). I think I will cut it open and check. A tear and I'll move on. No tear and I will continue putting them on my cars. Simple enough
smile.gif

That is a rational and objective opinion. Welcome to BITOG!

Common sense rules!

However:

I am glad that they are working well for you, and hope it continues that way.

Thanks for the comments bud!
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: webfors
Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
Feel free to comb through my posts on the topic, the correct and only answer on the purolator non-issue lies there.

LOL, listen to private barkey at your risk.

LOL ...
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: Falken
Some people think the tears are a "feature" and won't harm anything...

Those same people use coffee filters with tears in them, and love coffee with grounds in it.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: car51
Please check out my Pro Line PPL 14459 cut open filter pics/pist

Pro-line and the rest of those jobber filters arent really part of the equation. We are talking about Purolator filters proper, not rebadged filters or those made to other (lower) specifications.

Disagree with this. Those do count, as you and anyone with at least one working eye can see the failure mode is exactly the same as the filters labeled "Purolator" on the can.

crazy.gif

OP I encourage you to make your own decision. Dont take mine or anyone elses word for it.

Yeah, let the OP make his own decision. He might want to see this, which are most (not all, because the author hasn't been keeping up lately) of the reported tears in filters made by Purolator.

Filters Reported with Media Tears

You guys just parrot the same argument back over and over again. It's not playing Russian roulette and there is no inherent risk in using them. I refuse to participate in group think.

Someone has to fill the 3-sigmal area of the bell curve.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
jk_636, just wait until you become a statistic on the Tearolator spreadsheet. You may change you mind.

Zeeosix made the same comment.
whistle.gif
I wont ever become a statistic. Dont hate, Purolate!
thumbsup2.gif

Don't Fear the Tearolator. LoL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back