escaped convict arrested after 59yr on the run

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Donald

If you were the judge what would you do with this guy? People change in 59 yrs. I might put him on probation.

He could have turned himself in anytime in the past 59 years. Nothing in the article indicated he was an asset to the community yada yada yada. He was hiding. Finish original sentence plus whatever for escaping. You might want to ask the family of the person he killed if he should get probation.

Last edited:
If he goes back to a prison facility he'll have food, lodging and some of the best healthcare in the nation, all at no charge.

It appears that he mended his ways and lived a normal life. Let him serve a few month to justify the arrest and let him go with a full pardon. He did to himself what the prison system claims they do.

It's not like he was in for murder or rape or child molestation or drugs. He was in for manslaughter for killing someone in a car accident, according to the article.

Slap on the wrist. Or maybe he's tired of running and wants 3 hots and a cot for the rest of his life.

I would be courious how he violated probation, to go from being on his own recognisance to a 20 year prison sentence. He really p%ssed off a judge, somehow.

As someone else was saying, being put in prison at this point in his life is not the punishment it was when he was in his early 20s.

As someone who has served as a court officer, I almost guarantee that he will be released at his first court appearance when he gets back to Ohio. Judges dont care about 50 year old cases. Nor do they have the case files, witness, or evidence to hold someone.

He'll probably plea to the 50 year old escape charge (lack of witnesses to testify against him to convict),be placed back on probation and be on his way back to Florida in less than a week.

I read somewhere bought a car and got a drivers license. (the probation violation)

Since he was on probation for killing someone in a car accident.

edit: here you go
Quote:

In 1959, he got up to 20 years in prison for violating the terms of his probation by purchasing a car and getting a drivers license

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
If he was a German Nazi General, would you feel the same way?

Point is, He's not!

Heck he could have joined the french foreign legion and just now showed up. Its highly unlikely though. I do think he needs to plead guilty and face a judge in good standing and at least inform the court of what he has done all these years and so forth

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
If he was a German Nazi General, would you feel the same way?

It depends...does he has any scientifically marvel in his head that could be useful to the US?

Originally Posted By: Kuato
It's not like he was in for murder or rape or child molestation or drugs. He was in for manslaughter for killing someone in a car accident, according to the article.

Slap on the wrist. Or maybe he's tired of running and wants 3 hots and a cot for the rest of his life.

Do you really view murdering, raping and molesting children to be the same or similar to drinking coffee, smoking cigarettes and taking aspirin? What plant are you on?!

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
As someone who has served as a court officer, I almost guarantee that he will be released at his first court appearance when he gets back to Ohio.

Hope you are right. The cost of taking care of him in his old age would be high. Sounds like he is rehabilitated.

Originally Posted By: Olas
Originally Posted By: Kuato

Do you really view murdering, raping and molesting children to be the same or similar to drinking coffee, smoking cigarettes and taking aspirin? What plant are you on?!

What are you talking about?

I took Kuato's post as he didn't actively choose to kill someone- it was an accident.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
What are you talking about?

I took Kuato's post as he didn't actively choose to kill someone- it was an accident.

If he accidentally killed someone, accidentally, he would have never been sent to prison. Accidents are called accidents for a reason. To be charged with manslaughter he must have been doing something reckless and dangerous, such as drunk driving, driving 100 mph, etc.

He can't just be turned loose - letting him get away with escape just gives other criminals an incentive to escape and defeats the whole purpose of having low security facilities.

He should be returned to a higher security joint to serve his original sentence, throw the book at him for escape, which he has apparently confessed to, so there should be no issues concerning proof of that offense, sentenced on the new crime of escape, and wait for his parole eligibility like any other prisoner.

edit: and he didn't "rehabilitate" himself - he assumed and lived under a false identity to avoid capture - almost certainly another crime, state and federal, as he was receiving SS benefits. Possibly even a stolen identity. More facts are needed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back