2013 ram just got some new michelins

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2013 ram 1500 with 25k miles. Ever since the truck was new I had a vibration/shake at 65+mph and only got worse with speed. I had the oem tires balanced many times and I rotate at each oil change. So I did the penny test a week ago and saw that the tread barely made it to Lincoln's hair, not very good for tires with 25k miles on them. Forgot to mention that the oem tires were good year wrangler sra 275/60r20. I called a local tire shop and asked for the best all season tire they could get and was recomended michelin ltx m/s2 tires. I did some research and it seemed they are very good tires. 70K mile warranty and had very good reviews. well now all the shake it gone and silky smooth all the way to the speed limiter, very quite and good looking tire. I read on some ram forums and many people seem to have this problem with the ram oem tires and I'm hopeing that this would help any ram owners out there that have this problem.

According to Tire Rack it's a poorly rated tire in 25th place for highway all-seasons with the LTX M/S2 at first place. It's those common cases where OEM's equip new trucks with junk tires again.

Last edited:
I have the LTX on my Yukon. Just had tires rotated yesterday. 50k on them and still have 7/12 tread left. [censored] good tires!!

My Honda RL came with those Michelins from the factory. Awesome tires! Changed to the Generals after 75k miles but will mostly go back when its time again. The Grabbers aren't bad at all but I miss the sense of security that the Michelins gave me. Might be psychological.

Originally Posted By: DirkDiggler
I have the LTX on my Yukon. Just had tires rotated yesterday. 50k on them and still have 7/12 tread left. [censored] good tires!!

Wow, Michelin LTX is a very long lasting tire. My Honda S2000 needs more than 3 sets of rear tires even I had the tread depth all the way down to less than 2/32"(around 1/32" or even less because we have no rain in summer). This small and light car somehow eats rear tires like hot cake.

I have the 20" LTX M/S2's on my Ram. I diteched the Goodyear's after about 4k and never looked back. Fantastic tire. They ride great, are quiet, FANTASTIC in the winter, and wear long. You will not be dissapointed.

So sorry to hear this. The Michelin LTX M/S was the worst tire that I've owned. Mine must have been counterfeit, they were so bad. I finally had enough, and pulled them off at 32,000 miles. My life is worth a little something.

Long life = NO wet traction. I wish that I hadn't I listened to a bunch of other people and wasted $800 on a set.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
So sorry to hear this. The Michelin LTX M/S was the worst tire that I've owned. Mine must have been counterfeit, they were so bad. I finally had enough, and pulled them off at 32,000 miles. My life is worth a little something.

Long life = NO wet traction. I wish that I hadn't I listened to a bunch of other people and wasted $800 on a set.

Yet I drove on 3" of ice for hundreds of Kilometers on them through Northern New Brunswick in one of the worst ice storms in the province's history on the same tire, LOL!
wink.gif

Maybe you really DID have a counterfeit tire, given the general consensus on how excellent they are. I think there's only one or two of you that have had a bad experience
21.gif
I think one was IndyIan's uncle or something with load range E's on a 1/2 ton. I'm using the P-Metric ones and always have.

I think we've got, between myself and my parent's, at least 14 Canadian winters on the LTX M/S and M/S2's. Many of those including several trips in the 1,000Km Kilometer range in horrific weather conditions. Freezing rain, ice storms, a foot plus of snow....etc. On two different Expeditions and an Explorer.

Our 2014 Ram shipped with 20 inch Goodyear Wranglers. In 7000 miles my wife said they stunk and she wanted Michelins on it, please.

Slapped on a set of LTX MS2's and am now enjoying our new ride better than ever. Vast differences in ride quality, road noise, etc. Plus they STICK in the wet.

Excellent tires for trucks!

My opinion is mixed on the ltx, I did not like in winter at all. Summer is fine though, and not enough miles to see the long life. So I am waiting to see.

Mine still has a shake, and the snows do too. I suspect my truck must be the issue, two sets of tires (summer and winter), same shake at 60-65.

Last edited:
My LTX M/S2's are approaching 35K on the Pilot, still look new, love the smooth quiet ride. This past Winter threw a lot of snow and ice at us, and Spring is now bringing us plenty of rain, as always the traction was excellent.

My 14 Sierra also came with Goodyear SRA tires from the factory (P275/55R20). I too plan on replacing them with Michelin LTX MS/2. I think that will happen late this fall.

Great choice. SR/As are horrible. I had them as OE on an '09 Hemi Aspen. They were out-of-round when new. Luckily, GY warranted all of them, and I replaced with Silent Armors.

I have a set on my 2003 Silverado. They are fantastic. Its amazing how different an experience some can have with a product. The Michelin haters are prolific and vocal. They never miss a chance to diss what is likely the highest satisfaction tire brand.

Z
Originally Posted By: hpb
You ran it to the speed limiter? That's one to test for tyre shake I guess! Out of curiosity, how fast is that?
105 mph on Mexican roads of course and I'm loveing them so far. The guy who mounted them said that he picked through 17 gy sra's before he found 4 that were round so I guess that tells you how much qc goes into them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back