How Did Your Parents Discipline For Bad Grades?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Joe_Power
I dropped out of high school, and now I make more than double the money,than both of my parents combined. True story.

I'm with you on that one. Dropped out in 10th grade after I decided that coming and spending a whole day in school to actually learn SOMETHING in two classes while wasting time in the other two (PE or computer class, where you type up some junk in 5 mins and then play games or sit online the rest of the time) was a HUGE waste of my valuable time. Went and got a GED. Tried College for literally one semester and went to deliver pizza's in a rich part of town for a few years. Made good money and picked up my sister from school in a brand new car while the rest of my friends were still finishing high school.

Fast forward some years and I started my own internet business (ebay sales all over the world) and now own a trucking company as well which I hope to grow as big as possible and retire by 40 or 45...

Oh and to get back on topic, I made C's practically all through middle and high school. Even failed 8th grade because I skipped like half a year and played video games at home while both my parents worked night shifts and slept during the day. They'd wake up and ask me how was school... HAHAHAHAHA. Got away with it for half a year until they found out via a phone call from the school asking if I'm dead. When I showed up to school, the teachers were shocked and wondered who this Artem was that was on their list. HAHAHAHA.

Who said you need a college education and $200,000+ in student bills in order to be successful in life?

I didn't get disciplined for bad grades. When I got bad grades, the cause was determined and dealt with in a supportive manner. For example, for a while I was pretty bad at math, which resulted in me having to study more and under helpful supervision until my grades improved. Aptitude was also considered. I just can't sing and am near tone deaf and unable to play any musical instrument reasonably well, and my poor grades in musical education were accepted as unavoidable. I probably would have been punished for getting bad grades due to laziness, but I was never lazy. I am familiar with physical disciplining and don't see any benefits. My best friend got severely beaten by his prole parents throughout high school for mediocre grades, but this story has a very sad end and this is neither the place nor the time for discussing this.

Originally Posted By: Artem
Originally Posted By: Joe_Power
I dropped out of high school, and now I make more than double the money,than both of my parents combined. True story.

I'm with you on that one. Dropped out in 10th grade after I decided that coming and spending a whole day in school to actually learn SOMETHING in two classes while wasting time in the other two (PE or computer class, where you type up some junk in 5 mins and then play games or sit online the rest of the time) was a HUGE waste of my valuable time. Went and got a GED. Tried College for literally one semester and went to deliver pizza's in a rich part of town for a few years. Made good money and picked up my sister from school in a brand new car while the rest of my friends were still finishing high school.

Fast forward some years and I started my own internet business (ebay sales all over the world) and now own a trucking company as well which I hope to grow as big as possible and retire by 40 or 45...

Oh and to get back on topic, I made C's practically all through middle and high school. Even failed 8th grade because I skipped like half a year and played video games at home while both my parents worked night shifts and slept during the day. They'd wake up and ask me how was school... HAHAHAHAHA. Got away with it for half a year until they found out via a phone call from the school asking if I'm dead. When I showed up to school, the teachers were shocked and wondered who this Artem was that was on their list. HAHAHAHA.

Who said you need a college education and $200,000+ in student bills in order to be successful in life?

Ferris Bueller's Day off got turned into Artem 6 month vacation
grin.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FastGame
I grew up in the old days, beating children was perfectly ok. Heck even the teachers could beat us
cry.gif

+1, I deserved it too.

Last edited:
At the age of 14 I was working at our local hardware store and doing the buying for same. The owner was like a 2nd father to me and was a leading member in our community, I was making as much or more than my father during the summer when I worked full time. My father was not concerned about my grades to much, the owner of the hardware was not concerned about my grades to much, I'm now 71 and retired at the age of 58, no one ever asked for my diploma other than the military upon my enlistment.

Life is good!

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
That video needs subtitles in order to be understood

You got that right haha! All I could hear was a bunch of hibby jibby skibby dibby. I'd be like,yo dawg,learn to speak like a human being and maybe set a good "civilized" example first of all. I hope to God there at no teachers who speak in all that jive at school. Pathetic!

really?
my english is a second language, but i get it fine. i find some dialects of british harder than that.

He's not speaking a foreign dialect,it's lazy ghetto negro slang.

[/quote]You got that right haha! All I could hear was a bunch of hibby jibby skibby dibby. [/quote]

It's been a very long time since I laughed this hard.....
laugh.gif

Guilt worked fine.

In college parents and work latter places paid in full for B+ so I maintained that to an A.

Originally Posted By: JetStar
I grew up in the old days, beating children was perfectly ok. Heck even the teachers could beat us
cry.gif

+1, I deserved it too.

Oh yea, those were the days.

cry.gif

I was told: "If you get a whipping at school, you will get another at home with a belt".

Got whipped by teachers a couple of times. You better believe that I didn't run home and make a report about it!

I don't remember really getting disciplined for not getting good grades. I was mostly a B and C student. Same thing in College. Both of my kids get mostly A's and B's.

Wayne

I was a good student. However, I rarely did homework. I simply thought that once I was out for the day, it was my time to use as I saw fit.

My father would rationally discuss my refusal to do homework, doing his best to reason with me. However, he was never successful in his quest.

My grades were good enough that I could "withstand" the "hit" of missing assignments. It was easy to calculate just what the "bare minimum" was. Such as Test scores are 80%, quizzes 10% and homework 10% of the final grade. Since my test scores were typically in the mid to upper 90's and quizzes were either 90 or 100, It was not much of a risk.

I remain proud of my methodology. I understood the material immediately. No need to perform additional work...

Last edited:
In High School, my parents scolded me to get to bed when I stayed up past midnight completing my homework. At least 3 nights a week I wouldn't get home from my after-school job until about 10pm. Analytic geometry, trig,calc., and even "creative" writing were always problematic. Studies never came easy for me as I tend to have comprehension problems, even through college and today, decades later. I scored miserably on standardized tests (SAT). Sigh, the tragedy of it all.

My best attempt to join the frequent chest beating crowd at BITOG
grin.gif
....been waiting a month to use this GIF
1324316156_baby_gorilla_chest_pond_fail.gif

IMO schools grade kids like cookies from a cookie cutter.
Fortunately people are not like that. There are people that 'think' and process information differently to others.

When I was at school, this was not well understood ( or at least, not acknowledged)
I have a form of Dyslexia and there were some things I could just not grasp, no matter how many times they were repeated, or how I was punished or humiliated.

At one time I was called Stupid, and beat with a Cane in front of the class because I was unable to spell some simple words.
Yet at age 11, after a school trip to see a working Windmill I was able to easily understand the concept of differential gears (without any explanation) and later, at home, construct an example from Mechano.

I'm not saying if a kid at school is 'slacking' it's OK
Just, if your kid is having difficulty, it might not be entirely their fault. and you might want to investigate further befor arbitrarily punishing the kid.

I remember at times I was at the point of just Giving Up and dropping out.
I don't know where I would have ended up if I had.
But I did compleat school. And have achived far more than (I think) anyone expected.

I also know some Straight A students that in many situations are clueless.

Grades are not the Be all and End all.

My parents didn't do much of anything about my poor grades.

I think the both of them were too self-absorbed. My mother was depressed much of the time and my father was a brow-beating jerk.

I truly wish they were involved with my schooling from day one...and kept up on it. I could have really used the help and encouragement.

But alas...my parents screwed up.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
I was a good student. However, I rarely did homework. I simply thought that once I was out for the day, it was my time to use as I saw fit.

Haha I always said that very same thing!
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: expat
Fortunately people are not like that. There are people that 'think' and process information differently to others.

When I was at school, this was not well understood ( or at least, not acknowledged)
I have a form of Dyslexia and there were some things I could just not grasp, no matter how many times they were repeated, or how I was punished or humiliated.

At one time I was called Stupid, and beat with a Cane in front of the class because I was unable to spell some simple words.
Yet at age 11, after a school trip to see a working Windmill I was able to easily understand the concept of differential gears (without any explanation) and later, at home, construct an example from Mechano.

Just, if your kid is having difficulty, it might not be entirely their fault. and you might want to investigate further befor arbitrarily punishing the kid.

But I did compleat school. And have achived far more than (I think) anyone expected.

And yet, here you are, perfectly articulate! And, clearly quite intelligent.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: expat

I agree with 100% as well. Everyone's wired differently and learns differently. I had math teachers in high school that were complete jokes and I really had to apply myself to make A's in math. I had an amazing college algebra professor who loved math (she said she'd do random math problems in her spare time for fun) and she made algebra FUN!! I made an A in her class with absolute ease!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back