How Did Your Parents Discipline For Bad Grades?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My parents didn't; they realized that I just was not being challenged in school enough to care about it.

Now, I'm not saying I'm a genius or super smart. I just need to THINK. If you make me read facts and take a standardized test, I'm just going to zone out because it's completely uninteresting.

My opinion: Harsh punishment for making bad grades will lead to someone lying and playing CYA for the rest of his/her life.

One of my best friends, who did end up with a college degree and supports himself nicely, used to get a lot of C's in high school. He used to hide his report card from his mom (single parent household) until he absolutely had to show it to her. He would be grounded for the subsequent six week grading period. And, that wasn't even corporal punishment. He is one of the most honest guys I know - go figure, but he still used to hide those report cards.

I always got pretty good grades, honor roll, student athlete, so I never had to deal with discipline issues. My parents always imparted in me how important it was to do well in school. My brother and I both did well in school, and have college degrees, my sister doesn't, and she makes as much money as either of us. My son is rewarded with video games and toys(7 years old) for good grades on report cards and is made to do extra homework and denied the computer and video games for poor performance. He hasn't gotten any bad grades so far.

Nothing I recall was done for bad or good grades.

I Had some mixed grade at the University and later I found out I had high functioning Asperger's syndrome. I thought I was just AADD. I recall I wouldn't work hard for a prof I didn't like; i.e: If I felt he was not a good human being somehow I couod not motivate myself even though it is MY GPA and MY class at risk.

I was the youngest and all of my older brothers didn't care for school (far more pressing issues at home like domestic violence, substance abuse, spousal abuse etc.) to care about grades.

In my house, it was all about trying to survive. Good grades can't help you much in a situation like that. I was the only boy out of 4 kids to even graduate high school.

8th grade report card...

My dad: "How the [censored] do you get a 'C' in gym class?!?!"

Me: "Its pretty easy when you don't attend."

That grade and my rather brilliant retort got me the belt and grounded to my room for 6 months. And yes, it was enforced.

my parents could not do anything about my lack of ambition in school. They did teach me everything else like morals and ethics and a bunch more useful stuff. I just hated school too much. my teachers then would have been put in jail nowadays and my fellow classmates were not any better. horrible experiance but I know how to deal with anything that comes up with my little 2 year old daughter in those aspects. like drugs and bullying and stuff like that. kinda glad my younger years were like that so I can just look at her and know what's happening. And how to deal with it.

If I got a "C" or better I survived a little longer. My parents really didn't enforce anything beyond that. My son's are too young yet but we're a bit more strict so far. With the 1st grader bad grade or bad behavior is punished. He hasn't had the iPad for over a week now. Don't expect him to become a Ph. D but want them to know school is important.

My mother used to tell me If I didn't work hard a school, I would end up digging holes in the street (manual labour as part of a road works crew)
I guess she was concerned about my poor grades.

I used to look at those guys, they all seemed muscular and tanned, happy and joking, wolf whistling at girls that would pass by (this was the early 60's)
It did not seem like a bad job to me.

I also remember thinking to myself, after graduating kindergarten.
"Heck, If i don't learn anything else, I still know enough to be a kindergarten teacher"

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
That video needs subtitles in order to be understood

You got that right haha! All I could hear was a bunch of hibby jibby skibby dibby. I'd be like,yo dawg,learn to speak like a human being and maybe set a good "civilized" example first of all. I hope to God there at no teachers who speak in all that jive at school. Pathetic!

Originally Posted By: expat
My mother used to tell me If I didn't work hard a school, I would end up digging holes in the street (manual labour as part of a road works crew)
I guess she was concerned about my poor grades.

I used to look at those guys, they all seemed muscular and tanned, happy and joking, wolf whistling at girls that would pass by (this was the early 60's)
It did not seem like a bad job to me.

I also remember thinking to myself, after graduating kindergarten.
"Heck, If i don't learn anything else, I still know enough to be a kindergarten teacher"

My parents always told me that exact same thing. Funny thing is,the street crew guys are making 10 times the money that the college grads with their liberal arts degrees are making as cashiers at JCPenney and Dillard's haha.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
My parents didn't; they realized that I just was not being challenged in school enough to care about it.

Now, I'm not saying I'm a genius or super smart. I just need to THINK. If you make me read facts and take a standardized test, I'm just going to zone out because it's completely uninteresting.

I was the exact same way. Had horribly boring teachers in high school that obviously hated their jobs and basically recited their lessons from textbooks every day. I always made A's but hated school. Got to college and kept a 4.0 and loved my classes because I had some really awesome teachers who loved what they were teaching and always kept it interesting.

I never got bad grades until 9th grade algebra.

The teacher was the volleyball coach. Bell rings, she turns off the lights turns on the overhead projector and that is your lesson. Put your hand back down, it's all on the overhead.

I stopped going to coach's class and just took an extra hour for lunch.

My dad yelled at me but it was by phone. He was stationed in Korea. My mom didn't care.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
That video needs subtitles in order to be understood

You got that right haha! All I could hear was a bunch of hibby jibby skibby dibby. I'd be like,yo dawg,learn to speak like a human being and maybe set a good "civilized" example first of all. I hope to God there at no teachers who speak in all that jive at school. Pathetic!

really?
my english is a second language, but i get it fine. i find some dialects of british harder than that.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
My parents did the emotional thing and put the guilt complex on me.

Mine did too, LOL! I wasn't challenged at all by school. Ended up taking University classes by the time I was in grade 9. That helped significantly with the challenge aspect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back