How Did Your Parents Discipline For Bad Grades?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Originally Posted By: expat

I also know some Straight A students that in many situations are clueless.

Grades are not the Be all and End all.

I agree with 100% as well. Everyone's wired differently and learns differently.

Yup, as a typical straight A student, I can be incredibly socially clueless and often say inappropriate things. But I am very mechanically competent. We are all human, with strengths and weaknesses.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
While I am not so sure that is the route I would have taken I applaud the Dad for caring enough to actually do something. It is clear he wants his kids to do well in life and not end up as thugs( his words ). You can't spank or touch your kids these days so maybe making them look like idiots with those haircuts will teach them to take their studies more serious. It sure would me!

Wonder what he'd do if the kid just decided to shave his head?

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
That video needs subtitles in order to be understood

You got that right haha! All I could hear was a bunch of hibby jibby skibby dibby. I'd be like,yo dawg,learn to speak like a human being and maybe set a good "civilized" example first of all. I hope to God there at no teachers who speak in all that jive at school. Pathetic!

really?
my english is a second language, but i get it fine. i find some dialects of british harder than that.

I couldn't get a word...then again, I'm on a laptop with lousy speakers.

Originally Posted By: spackard
Amy Chua on parenting

I went to school with someone whose mother was like that. She told him that if he wasn't valedictorian, he'd be disowned.

After a bad grade on a calculus test, he brought it home and hung himself in the garage. His suicide note was 5 words: "You're right, I'm a failure." He was a high school junior. (Yes, he had been forced into college-level calculus as a junior.)

Originally Posted By: linkbelt
Originally Posted By: FastGame
I grew up in the old days, beating children was perfectly ok. Heck even the teachers could beat us
cry.gif

I was told: "If you get a whipping at school, you will get another at home with a belt".

Got whipped by teachers a couple of times. You better believe that I didn't run home and make a report about it!

Anyone that hits a child in any way, shape, or form should be publicly tortured to death.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
I went to school with someone whose mother was like that. She told him that if he wasn't valedictorian, he'd be disowned.

After a bad grade on a calculus test, he brought it home and hung himself in the garage. His suicide note was 5 words: "You're right, I'm a failure." He was a high school junior. (Yes, he had been forced into college-level calculus as a junior.)

Oh god, that's horrible. Especially since learning can be incredibly fun under the right circumstances.

I really don't understand why we must "control" others.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: linkbelt
Originally Posted By: FastGame
I grew up in the old days, beating children was perfectly ok. Heck even the teachers could beat us
cry.gif

I was told: "If you get a whipping at school, you will get another at home with a belt".

Got whipped by teachers a couple of times. You better believe that I didn't run home and make a report about it!

Anyone that hits a child in any way, shape, or form should be publicly tortured to death.

Please.

My poor mother had no choice. I was a bad kid and to be honest I should have gotten spanked more than I did.
Some kids get the message by talking to them. My girls kids are like that. There is nothing to gain by spanking them because of who they are as people.
Me as a child I'd laugh at you if I was in trouble and all I got was a talking to.
I'm not any worse for wear and I'm not perpetuating the form of discipline I required as a child.

Originally Posted By: Cujet

Oh god, that's horrible. Especially since learning can be incredibly fun under the right circumstances.

I really don't understand why we must "control" others.

Sadism and psychopathy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back